Main Menu

New ID card oddity.

Started by Sapper168, January 06, 2014, 09:42:04 PM

abdsp51

Quote from: 68w10 on January 10, 2014, 03:20:26 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 10, 2014, 03:17:18 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 10, 2014, 03:14:54 AM
^ That's actually both a good and hilarious idea, however I'm not sure how excited a gate guard is
going to be seeing a sticker over the barcode.

Brother labels would look better, but still not great.

Fun fact - Camp Atterbury gate security scanned my barcode into their handheld when I entered the base last year at NESA. Not sure what they were doing with it, since a random six-digit number doesn't really have any significance unless they had some kind of special CAP procedure (which is possible, considering we're there quite a bit).

The gate guard at Davis-Monthan took mine, tried to scan it, said "I've never seen a card like this before," and then waved me through.

Do not do that.  There is a procedure for CAP access onto DM and you and the guard have violated that procedure.  Contact me for further.  Doing what you have done will screw the pooch for the unit meeting on base and make it more difficult.

Private Investigator

I scanned it and it came back "666"   ???

SarDragon

Quote from: Private Investigator on January 10, 2014, 08:03:18 PM

Your scanner ir Tango Uniform. Both of mine came up with "Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"

Yes, I know, you got me to check.  :P
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Quote from: SarDragon on January 11, 2014, 03:05:27 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on January 10, 2014, 08:03:18 PM

Your scanner ir Tango Uniform. Both of mine came up with "Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"

Yes, I know, you got me to check.  :P
I'm surprised nobody identified the origin of my QR yet...

JeffDG

Since nobody's turned this into a uniform thread yet:   >:D >:D >:D

Change our rank slides out for these:

(Oh, and that is AF Blue)

cm42

Quote from: JeffDG on January 11, 2014, 03:00:11 PMI'm surprised nobody identified the origin of my QR yet...

The Cremation of Sam McGee.

SarDragon

Quote from: JeffDG on January 11, 2014, 03:00:11 PMI'm surprised nobody identified the origin of my QR yet...

I think I looked it up, and promptly blew it off.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Quote from: SarDragon on January 12, 2014, 12:13:57 AMI think I looked it up, and promptly blew it off.
That, what he said.  8)

The CyBorg is destroyed

I'm surprised someone who has watched too many reruns of The Omen hasn't seriously suggested these are somehow the Mark of the Beast or something.

After all, that happened with Social Security numbers and UPC barcodes.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cadeteaster13

Same here I was confused also

Майор Хаткевич

Panache

Quote from: JeffDG on January 11, 2014, 03:17:29 PM
Since nobody's turned this into a uniform thread yet:   >:D >:D >:D

Change our rank slides out for these:

(Oh, and that is AF Blue)

I want my hard QR code back!

pierson777

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 25, 2014, 10:52:22 PM

You should consider updating your photo.  I had to do a double take with that Capt grade on the ID card, but C/Capt grade in the photo.

Eclipse

Also the nausea factor, that can really slow things up at a base gate or mission admin table.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Agreed on the need, not sure how it would slow things down at a mission.

a2capt

You mean if they actually take that flimsy plastic Microsoft Paint worthy creation seriously?

Put back the barcode, please.

I find it simply amazing that NHQ's response was "we didn't think anyone used it", when there's so much automation..

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 26, 2014, 01:52:48 PM
Agreed on the need, not sure how it would slow things down at a mission.

Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2014, 01:10:09 PM
Also the nausea factor, that can really slow things up at a base gate or mission admin table.

Referring to your image, not the ID card itself.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on March 26, 2014, 04:30:44 PM
You mean if they actually take that flimsy plastic Microsoft Paint worthy creation seriously?

Put back the barcode, please.

I find it simply amazing that NHQ's response was "we didn't think anyone used it", when there's so much automation..

That was the vendor's response, not NHQ's.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Slim

It would be nice if they could bring back the bar code, and check with DoD to find out what information CAP would need to do to make that card DBIDS compliant.

I talked with a friend of mine who is also ANG SF at the local guard base about this.  What he said was that they issue DBIDS cards to anyone who doesn't have a CAC card, other type of military ID, etc.  The base is also home to three different DHS activities (a Border Patrol sector HQ, an Air/Marine wing, and a joint operations center); apparently, DHS was able to incorporate DBIDS information into the bar codes on their agency ID card to make them readable by the scanners at the gate.

Slim

a2capt

DBIDS and.. go back to a plastic card?

..and I'm not totally convinced on the story about the vendor adding the barcode for their needs only, as that barcode had been on there for a while, and that as during the era of the nice thick cards that came from NHQ.