official "I'm here!" thread.

Started by whatevah, March 24, 2005, 04:52:08 AM

Gunner

Hi Folks!

Yet another newbie checking in, this one from northeast Florida between Jacksonville and St. Augustine.  I'm a member of the St. Augustine Squadron and have been a CAP member off and on since 1960.  I dropped out after losing my medical certificate to diabetes in 1987.  For those of you who are AOPA members you can read about how I got my medical certificate back 3 years ago by clicking on  http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot/2006/medically0610.html.  Unfortunately they don't let non-members into that section of their web site.  However I'll be more than happy to talk with anyone with questions about what it takes for an insulin dependent diabetic (there aren't but about 400 of us world-wide) to get a medical certificate.  I ain't easy but it is do-able and was more than worth the effort to me!  I have always been totally in love with all things aviation and once again hold CFI and CFII tickets and am a Stand/Eval and Operations type of guy in CAP.  OH, and I have 1/2 of a very nice Piper Archer II.  My bride of 43 years and I have a daughter who was a Spaatz Cadet (NC Wing), graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1988, flew AF jets for 9 years, and now has the 2nd best seat on a 737-800 for a major airline.

I got back involved with CAP because a gent asked me to help him rebuild the squadron which had gone inactive.  I agreed provided I was never asked to take a leadership position.  I had enough of that as the Deputy Ops Officer and Chief Check Pilot in NC Wing back in the '80s but they seem to have forgotten that part and am getting some pressure to "take the squadron."   :-\  I'm planning on going to NSC in October, partly in the hope it'll help me get off the fence.

To be honest I can't remember now how I found this place.  I've been "lurking" for a while and finally got around to registering last week.  I ran fora on CompuServe and MSN for several years as an employee of the Flight Simulator Team at Microsoft after I took early retirement from my real job.  This seems to be well organized and administered and mostly very civil.  Kudos to those responsible!

As far as the current "crisis" with the national leadership I have no worries about the long term survival or health of CAP.  I've been around long enough to have seen this kinda "stuff" at all levels - shenanigans with "traveling companions" by leadership, and others, must be about as old as the organization.  There have been problems with "adults" and cadets which I understand have been addressed.  From time to time I understand some financial irregularities have come to light.  Because of the members out doing what has to be done day-in-and-day-out the organization has remained strong and vibrant.  This little dust up is no exception.  Whatever the outcome I firmly believe the organization will continue to more forward.

Since this is my first post here I truly have no clue how it's gonna work, if I've done the things I'm supposed to do correctly, and really don't know if anybody will ever see it.  If you do, thanks for hanging in with me!
-= Maj Mike "Gunner" Thompson CAP =-
-= St. Augustine, FL Squadron =-

JC004

Welcome.  Come in, have a seat.  I think mikeylikey stole all of the donuts, but we probably have some stale coffee.  Feel free to post around...we have plenty to read and our members are hardly shy.   ;)

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on August 12, 2007, 05:24:16 AM
Welcome.  Come in, have a seat.  I think mikeylikey stole all of the donuts, but we probably have some stale coffee.  Feel free to post around...we have plenty to read and our members are hardly shy.   ;)
Some shy in person, but not here.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

alexalvarez

Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

Maj Daniel Sauerwein

Hello all, I am here representing the ND wing. Quick question, how do you all get those graphics in your sig that look like an IM icon with your uniform and insignia?
DANIEL SAUERWEIN, Maj, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol

Stonewall

Admin mod king of the world types.  Perhaps you can make a "Sticky" with instructions on signature blocks and adding images.  Unless I'm way out of line and there already is something like that.  If that's the case, I think push-ups are in order...
Serving since 1987.

Pylon

Quote from: Stonewall on August 13, 2007, 04:26:49 AM
Admin mod king of the world types.  Perhaps you can make a "Sticky" with instructions on signature blocks and adding images.  Unless I'm way out of line and there already is something like that.  If that's the case, I think push-ups are in order...

Haha, might be a good idea.  There's probably tips buried in random posts throughout the forum, but no stickied, easy-to-find reference for newcomers.  I'll add it to the to-do list.  Thanks Kirt.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

alexalvarez

Greetings 2d Lt. Daniel Sauerwein.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

Walkman

Just got an email from NHQ that my and my son's membership packets are en route!  ;D

My family is teasing me because I've become pretty obsessed with CAP. By the time I figured out that I had listened to the wrong people in college about joining the service (long story) and tried the Reserves, I had too many dependents and they wouldn't take me. I always regretted not serving in the military, and figured that it would be something I'd regret my whole life. So after years of that kind of thinking, this is kind of a dream come true (yes, I understand our relationship with USAF & AUX ON/AUX OFF etc...) to be a part of this group. AND with my oldest son as well!

So, here's a many years continuing a fine tradition!

Lancer

Quote from: Walkman on August 14, 2007, 04:52:58 AM
My family is teasing me because I've become pretty obsessed with CAP. By the time I figured out that I had listened to the wrong people in college about joining the service (long story) and tried the Reserves, I had too many dependents and they wouldn't take me. I always regretted not serving in the military, and figured that it would be something I'd regret my whole life. So after years of that kind of thinking, this is kind of a dream come true (yes, I understand our relationship with USAF & AUX ON/AUX OFF etc...) to be a part of this group. AND with my oldest son as well!

So, here's a many years continuing a fine tradition!

Let your family tease you all they want... once they realize what a great thing it is you and your son are doing, they'll be more concerned with how they can play too...and much less concerned with poking fun.

Don't know how deep you've read through this thread, but I've been doing the same thing with my son, except I was a cadet back in the 80's and a medical situation kept me from serving. So I've been having a blast since I've been back.

Don't let anything spoil that dream for you!

jb512

Quote from: 2d Lt. Daniel Sauerwein on August 13, 2007, 04:12:36 AM
Hello all, I am here representing the ND wing. Quick question, how do you all get those graphics in your sig that look like an IM icon with your uniform and insignia?
Well I see that you got your avatar guy but nobody told us how the rest of us can find one.

pixelwonk

behind mossy rocks and in the crags of old oak trees.

jb512

Cadet Tillett

Hi, I just found out about this site through my involvement in Cadetstuff.  I've been in CAP for four years to date.  I was originally in MER-VA-141, Hampton Roads Composite Sqdn in Virginia.  Then about two years ago, I moved to NC and I'm now in MER-NC-800, South Charlotte Cadet Squadron.

C/1st Lt. Josiah Tillett
C/Capt. Tillett, NCWG
Wright Brothers #4609
Mitchell #54148
Earhart #14039

RogueLeader

Welcome Cadet, we really like it when cadets join us here.  Hope you enjoy your time on CapTalk; you obviously enjoy your time in CAP in general ;)  Again welcome.

BTW, all youngsters like the previous state better. . . I've lived in NE, IA, WV, and now OK, but Nebraska is still the best in my mind. :angel:
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

docspur

We have a state called "Nebraska?"

>:D

Capt DL Spurlock, Commander
NCR-MO-127 - Trail of Tears Composite Squadron

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

Pylon

Quote from: docspur on August 24, 2007, 09:18:50 AM

Apparently they've also raised a Navy.  But I hear they have a lot of chiefs and very few indians.   ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RogueLeader

Quote from: Pylon on August 24, 2007, 02:12:08 PM
Quote from: docspur on August 24, 2007, 09:18:50 AM

Apparently they've also raised a Navy.  But I hear they have a lot of chiefs and very few indians.   ;D
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

PaulR

Hello,

My name is Paul, from Maine.  I am not a CAP member yet, but I am seriously considering my return.

I was a Cadet member from 1986-1991, where I was lucky enough to get my Mitchell Award.

Since 1990, I have served in two branches of service.  From 1990-2, I served as a Machinegunner and TOWII antitank missileman in the US Marine Corps.  From 1992 to present, I have been a corpsman in the US Coast Guard.  In total, I have 17 years of active service.  I am a veteran of Iraqi Freedom(Two tours), Haiti, and an active participant in combating drugs in and around Columbia. 

As my military career draws closer to the end, I am considering my return to the Civil Air Patrol.  I loved it as a kid, so maybe I can return the favor by supporting the next generation of potential servicemen and women.

Stonewall

Welcome, Paul.

Good to have another "real deal" vet on the board and in the ranks of CAP.
Serving since 1987.