Alternative languages options for AEPSM

Started by jhighman, December 05, 2017, 01:18:25 PM

jhighman

Can anyone tell me where to find (or if they even exist!) any alternative language versions of the text and/or exams for the AEPSM? I have a couple officers for whom English is their second language and while they are perfectly conversant, the size and depth of the current Journey of Flight text is overwhelming. I want to give them the best chances to participate meaningfully, hence my request.

On a related note, there is no need to limit this conversation specifically to the AEPSM. If there are other resources out there to ensure equal opportunities, I’d love to hear about those too.

Thank you.

LSThiker

It is all English and pretty much the same verbiage.

MSG Mac

You might want to see if there is a Spanish version for the PRWG. Talk to CAP/AE
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

WingDude

Although not specifically related to the AEPSM I have repeatedly sent up the chain of command the suggestion/recommendation that CAP identify the foreign language resources it has among its members, recognize that foreign language proficiency is a skill and create a way to recognize those members who posses foreign language proficiency. I have even offered to head up such a program. All the military services have such a program, even the Boy Scouts have such a program, but not CAP. In an emergency services situation CAP needs the capability to speak to members of the local community who might not speak English or have a poor grasp of the language. As a retired former career professional Russian interpreter/translator I am disappointed at the lack of a foreign language recognition program within CAP. Every year I send the proposal forward and every year it gets shot down at Wing or Region level. No need, they say. Wrong, I say. Okay, rant and rave over. Thanks for listening.   

Eclipse

Have you been able to quantify the "need" with anything but a gut feeling?

Languages being your thing, it's going to be higher on your list then the average person.

In 18 years, including multiple missions with a few far away from home, this has never come up even once,
and after 14 encampments, it only came up once, and it turned out to not actually be an issue, but a
"cadet being a cadet" (kind of like the Buddhists that magically pop up when someone gets wind their
is a Buddhist service on Sunday AM, and which evaporate when we start calling moms).

CAP is generally a community-based organization, and therefore generally draws from the
local population, including speaking alternative languages to English.

I wouldn't be against a box on the 101 card for languages spoken, but to try and start building
a program or directorate, especially considering CAP's current state of manning, I would agree is unnecessary.

I would put forth the difference between "speaking / understanding" and being a translator, especially
during times of distress.  My wife speaks "some" Polish, enough to know what mom-in-law is saying about her,
but who would qualify that she is conversant enough to be a resource?

"That Others May Zoom"