Main Menu

Fraternization

Started by lostdude1664, September 21, 2015, 05:39:04 AM

lostdude1664

What is the process to report fraternization between cadets and seniors in CAP. I am starting to get more involved in CAP activities and I am wondering how do you handle that situation?

Al Sayre

Report it to your Squadron Commander.  He/She knows what must be done.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 21, 2015, 11:51:00 AM
Report it to your Squadron Commander.  He/She should knows what must be done.

Fixed that for you. ;)

CAPR 52-10 has all the information you need. Normally, you want to report this to your commander, but if he or she is involved, then to the next commander in the chain of command (group, wing, etc.).

Flying Pig

Well, I think a little clarification is in order.  Fraternization between cadets and seniors as in an act that would be criminal outside of CAP?  A 19yr old Senior member dating an 18 year old cadet?   I know of an odd scenario once where a 22yr old CAP 2Lt was engaged to an 18yr old cadet.  She wanted to stay a cadet to attempt to get her Spaatz.  They actually lived together and everything.  Not something you see everyday.  This was in the late 90s and I know that is even much more common now.  In that case, he was not involved with cadet programs, and was part of a different Sq.  and everyone really just let it ride.  I guess people could have got all upset over it, but they didnt.

Ultimately, yes... reporting it to chain of command would be step #1 regardless.  But it sounds more like you are just getting informed vs asking about reporting a specific situation you witnessed. 

C/SrA Ravlin

CAPR 52-10
2-2 Decorum and Fraternization
Part B.) Cadet to Cadet Fraternization states: It is not inherently improper for cadets to have personal or
romantic relationships with other cadets; however, relationships between cadets of substantially different
ages or grades, or between cadets within the same chain of command, are discouraged. Cadets will not
engage in inappropriate touching or displays of affection by kissing, hugging, or similar conduct while
at a CAP activity.
Cadet SrA Ravlin
Cadet Communications NCO
Boise RMR-ID-073
"Semper Vigilans"
www.gocivilairpatrol.com
www.boisecap.org

JC004

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 21, 2015, 02:39:26 PM
Well, I think a little clarification is in order.  Fraternization between cadets and seniors as in an act that would be criminal outside of CAP?  A 19yr old Senior member dating an 18 year old cadet?   I know of an odd scenario once where a 22yr old CAP 2Lt was engaged to an 18yr old cadet.  She wanted to stay a cadet to attempt to get her Spaatz.  They actually lived together and everything.  Not something you see everyday.  This was in the late 90s and I know that is even much more common now.  In that case, he was not involved with cadet programs, and was part of a different Sq.  and everyone really just let it ride.  I guess people could have got all upset over it, but they didnt.

Ultimately, yes... reporting it to chain of command would be step #1 regardless.  But it sounds more like you are just getting informed vs asking about reporting a specific situation you witnessed.

The situations haven't been totally rare over the years.  I can think of several situations in which the CADET was actually older than the SM (usually because the SM went into the military and was forced to go SM from cadet...we're not talking big age gaps or anything illegal).  It seemed especially common in the years following 9/11, when a lot of cadets were going into the military and had relationships with their peers.  Maybe for situations like that, it should be specifically designated as being OK for the one going SM to become a Patron or something, since they're off doing military stuff anyway.  I dunno... 

Plain fraternization and age-inappropriate relationships....that's a whole different ball game, of course.