Main Menu

Health Services Officer

Started by medicmike, December 16, 2011, 01:50:27 AM

medicmike

Just wondering if anyone had any up to date information on the Health Services Officer speciality track.  I am the HSO for my squadron and have been researching but not finding too much information.  I have started teaching First Aid and CPR classes, updating and inventorying our first aid kits.  I am an EMS Instructor and an AHA First Aid/CPR instructor so I can provide First Aid/CPR classes at almost no cost to my unit.  I am working on obtaining an AED for our squadron base and also on getting everyone in the unit at least CPR certified.  I am working on a couple other ideas but could use any input from anyone who is also working on this.  If CAP is not going to put together an actual speciality track for this position then I think we can at least put some structure to it.  Any ideas or feedback about this would be appreciated.
Michael Bridge          USAF Retired
2d Lt CAP
Health Services Officer
GLR-OH-003

Eclipse

In another thread, one poster said it was "coming soon", knowing what "soon" means in CAP, what are you expecting or hoping the duties would be?

"That Others May Zoom"

medicmike

I read through a few of the other forum sections with posts relating to this position and found a little information and lot of complaining and quite a few sarcastic remarks.  I don't really have any hopes related to this position but I think it can be a good and important position in the squadron.  I think that with some time and effort we can develop this position into something that is more structured than it is now.  I think this position can be made into an asset for the squadron and can be a position that people would want to fill.  I will work on putting together my ideas and such and will post them within a few days and see what people think.
2d Lt CAP
Health Services Officer
GLR-OH-003

SarDragon

The big issue is that what you, and others, think are great things to do in the field. Most of them are likely specifically prohibited by regulation. Hence the kvetching about the need for the track in the first place. Most folks eligible for the track are not permitted to even use the majority of their skills in a CAP setting.

Good luck on establishing something in your unit.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

medicmike

I am not looking to use my Paramedic skills in the field or anything like that.  I have read through all the regs and am familiar with what is allowed and what isn't.  I think that this track has potential and could be made into something good with some effort.  I am a glass half-full kind of guy so I am sure that I can put something together that complies with regs and also compliments my unit.  I like a challenge lol!
2d Lt CAP
Health Services Officer
GLR-OH-003

Eclipse

Quote from: medicmike on December 16, 2011, 02:27:46 AMI think that this track has potential and could be made into something good with some effort.

I am honestly asking the question, because it comes up all the time.

What would you expect or want to do in this regard?

"That Others May Zoom"

medicmike

I will post what I have put together so far in a couple days.  I was just looking for some feedback from others who are involved with this track at this time.  I am sure there are others out there who could provide some good input for this.  I have some ideas and have been looking at what I can make out of it.
2d Lt CAP
Health Services Officer
GLR-OH-003

arajca

Here is what was proposed a few years ago. It was shunted to the legal folks by the NB and has not been heard of since.

Eclipse

Wow. I can see why - there's basically nothing there.

A little Safety Officer, a little CPT, and a first aid kit. 

What's a "Subspecialty Track"?

"That Others May Zoom"

medicmike

I will read through the proposal when I have a bit of time.  I do agree that it seems to be a mix of a lot of different tracks.  With some time and some effort I can put something together that I can use at my squadron.  Thanks for the info so far.
2d Lt CAP
Health Services Officer
GLR-OH-003

Private Investigator

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=14316.0

That thread mentions HSO.

In any Unit I have been in we would welcome someone with a good background to be the HSO. But we will give you a Squadron task, Aerospace Education, Cadet Programs, Safety or whatever.

Because HSO is just what it is. Its like a lawyer and what Squadron needs a legal officer? 

medicmike

In addition to the HSO, I am also an assistant Emergency Services Officer and will also be active in Aerospace Education.  I think a lot of people involved with the HSO area seem to want to function at their professional skill level and this is not what I envision in the HSO.  Looking at this position with a broader view I see the HSO as someone more involved in things for the entire squadron, not just using skills to help one person who is ill.  If someone is ill enough that they would need any advanced skill or care, they need to go to the hospital.  I have no interest or desire to function at the Paramedic level for CAP functions.  I think there is a lot more here for those of us who can "think outside the box".  Just my 2 cents worth.
2d Lt CAP
Health Services Officer
GLR-OH-003