Air Force Academy Interview - Uniform, or No Uniform?

Started by TheSkyHornet, September 28, 2018, 08:23:08 PM

TheSkyHornet

I have a cadet who is applying to the Air Force Academy, and in so doing, has been selected by her U.S. Senator to have an interview with a review panel (consisting of prior service Air Force reviewers) to nominate her to the Academy.

Both of her parents are prior service Air Force enlisted. She wants to know if Class As would be appropriate --- mom says to wear Class As; dad says he sees it pretentious and recommends that she doesn't: "They know you're interested in the military. [Wearing a uniform] comes across as [trying to get] attention, but not good attention."

So, she asked me. And I said I wanted to get some additional opinions.

Her basis that, as a senior cadet officer, she is using Civil Air Patrol as her leadership development for preparation in pursuing military officership with her academic development through her time in private preparatory high school.

Looking for some suggestions for a 17-year-old who has wanted this more than anything in her life, and has worked extremely hard at it for all her teenage years, and is very excited now that she received that "moving on to the next phase" email...but wants to make the proper impression without 'screwing it up.'

abdsp51

No uniform.  If she has the selection from her senator then the Academy folks doing the interview know she's in CAP.

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

MSG Mac

I agree with No Uniform, but if she insists, have her talk to the AF Academy Liaison Officer in her area. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

OldGuy

EMT-83

Specifically, how would the cadet be representing Civil Air Patrol during that interview?

Mitchell 1969

Other applicants will have other impressive things about themselves, but nobody wants them to walk into the interview wearing a football helmet, playing a trombone or pouring liquids back and forth from and to beakers.

The cadet isn't there to represent CAP, but to represent herself. She should look like herself.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

TheSkyHornet

Thanks, guys. Really appreciate the feedback. I'll pass along the guidance.

And THIS is what I love about CAP Talk.  :clap:

OldGuy

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: OldGuy on October 01, 2018, 01:03:42 AM
See https://www.serviceacademyforums.com/index.php?threads/nomination-interviews-what-to-expect.51823/ for more tips.

Good luck to your cadet.

I did come across that. It's an interesting read.

For follow-up:
Dad talked to some pals of his from the USN Academy. They said wear the CAP uniform. So the Navy says "yes;" the Air Force suggests no. Interesting perspective.

Anyway, I did pass it along to her. She said "Who did you ask?" I explained the fine folks on CAP Talk. My end point was that whatever she chooses to wear, she needs to be prepared to explain her logic. If they ask her why she decided to wear her uniform, be prepared to defend it. If they ask why she chose not to wear her uniform, defend it. Whatever decision you make, you own.

But anyway, again, thanks for the help.

(And congrats to you and your team - good job!)

Psh. Ain't my doing.  ;D

goblin

I wore it for mine and got the nod for USAFA. Just a data point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry W.

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on September 29, 2018, 11:55:23 PM
Other applicants will have other impressive things about themselves, but nobody wants them to walk into the interview wearing a football helmet, playing a trombone or pouring liquids back and forth from and to beakers.

The cadet isn't there to represent CAP, but to represent herself. She should look like herself.

I find that to be an interesting comment. Does the USAF recognize advance grade/ promotions for football or playing the trombone like they do service in CAP or earning the Mitchell Award? I would think that it would only benefit the Cadet to wear their dress uniform as it would display a higher level of professionalism. Along with representing the Civil Air Patrol, I would think the uniform would also represent the United States Air Force Auxiliary and the commitment to being part of the total force. I know with JROTC, we consistently have Cadets conduct interviews in uniform and the feedback we have received from all branches is that it is the way to go.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Terry W. on October 05, 2018, 10:08:40 AM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on September 29, 2018, 11:55:23 PM

I find that to be an interesting comment. Does the USAF recognize advance grade/ promotions for football or playing the trombone like they do service in CAP or earning the Mitchell Award? I would think that it would only benefit the Cadet to wear their dress uniform as it would display a higher level of professionalism. Along with representing the Civil Air Patrol, I would think the uniform would also represent the United States Air Force Auxiliary and the commitment to being part of the total force. I know with JROTC, we consistently have Cadets conduct interviews in uniform and the feedback we have received from all branches is that it is the way to go.

Or...."I'm applying for a free college education and a great career, but I'm going to wear this blue suit because I can stretch it into me actually representing CAP, even though CAP doesn't know it."

The easiest and best fix for this is for NHQ to adopt a policy. It should be either OK or not OK on a consistent basis and not left up to local unit commanders or CAPTALK ruminations mixed with opinions from Navy people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Terry W. on October 05, 2018, 10:08:40 AM
Along with representing the Civil Air Patrol, I would think the uniform would also represent the United States Air Force Auxiliary and the commitment to being part of the total force.

Okay, on this one---

Let's be careful with the "USAF Aux" and "Total Force" thing here.

You're a part of the Aux when performing an Air Force-assigned mission. Your parking detail fundraiser and monthly Character Development classes, et al, are not Air Force Auxiliary missions.

Brad

When I went for my US Naval Academy interview with a Blue & Gold officer, I was specifically instructed to wear my JROTC uniform. Granted I was seeking nomination & appointment specifically through the JROTC route, but still.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Eclipse

Ask the person you will be meeting with what the appropriate dress is.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2018, 11:14:24 PM

What? Ask somebody outside CAP to decide what a CAP cadet should wear?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on October 06, 2018, 02:56:26 AM

What? Ask somebody outside CAP to decide what a CAP cadet should wear?

No.

Ask someone inside the Air Force Academy what an applicant to the Air Force Academy should wear.

"That Others May Zoom"

OldGuy

Great advice.

(Back when I did my interview I was a JROTC C/Capt. and a CAP C/LTC. On advice I wore a suit and tie. I got the appointment.)

This was when Jimmy Carter was CinC.