A By Invitation FORUM? Good or Bad idea?

Started by Major Carrales, December 20, 2006, 10:29:40 PM

Major Carrales

Some "food for thought..."

Could you imagine a forum where there were no "phantom" threadsters.  Where everyone was who they said they were and CAP membership, unless otherwise waived by the moderator, was necessary to join.  A place where a man or woman had to stand by what they said as their word.

This is just for ponderance, not a criticism of this or any of the active CAP forums.

Lately there have been a few threadsters here that are not even CAP members causing a degree of disturbance.  Or, people using assumed names.

To mitigate this I would...

1) Create a "by invitation" forum where one had to apply for membership and have someone vouch for them.

2) As forum regulars grew in number it would be necessary for three current members to confirm the individual.

This would insure toadies and the like could not penetrate into the conversation to an unexceptable point and cause damage to the organization with unfounded and questionable rumors.  I have seen it done where a section of an otherwise open forum was done in a similar manner.

Is this a good idea or a bad one?

Again, this is only for disucssion's sake...

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

mmouw

I think it would be a healthy idea. CAP for CAPers.
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

shorning

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 20, 2006, 10:29:40 PM
Could you imagine a forum where there were no "phantom" threadsters.  Where everyone was who they said they were and CAP membership, unless otherwise waived by the moderator, was necessary to join.  A place where a man or woman had to stand by what they said as their word.

So start a forum.

A.Member

Would you also create the authentication software and maintain the security/integrity of such software (assuming you want to verify membership and that you'd be allowed access to such info), not to mention the forum cost themselves (domain, hosting, etc.)? 

This forum is just fine.  Frankly, I don't see a significant difference between what you propose and what exists.  Do you want to foster discussion or do you want to foster control?  That's the tradeoff I see.  There is a limited audience for such discussions.  The mods here have done a good job so far as I can tell - they've stepped in when needed but otherwise are unobtrusive and allow ideas to be exchanged.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Major Carrales

Quote from: shorning on December 20, 2006, 10:39:36 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on December 20, 2006, 10:29:40 PM
Could you imagine a forum where there were no "phantom" threadsters.  Where everyone was who they said they were and CAP membership, unless otherwise waived by the moderator, was necessary to join.  A place where a man or woman had to stand by what they said as their word.

So start a forum.

I would hate to say this is a "test ballon" for such a thing, but this is merely presented for discussion...not policy.  In any case, I am soliciting opinions... not disciples.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: A.Member on December 20, 2006, 10:43:59 PM
This forum is just fine.  Do you want to foster discussion or do you want to foster control?  That's the tradeoff I see. 

Agreed, and you bring up some interesting points.  I imagine it depends on one's intent for visiting such a forum.  Does one come here to learn?  Or to Manipulate?  ...Spread a gospel/agenda?  ...communicate with friends distant?

Again, excellent points.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

BlackKnight

Ditto-  Try it and see how it works.

Personally, I prefer an open laisse-faire style forum.  "Phantom threadsters" occasionally come up with interesting proposals and observations, and I like to see those, especially when they're controversial.  It doesn't bother me to burn a few neurons separating out the quality posts from the background noise. 

'Course, I'm the guy who still won't use a spam filter because I might miss that special email about my great uncle once-removed winning the Nigerian lottery the same day he got hit by a bus...   ;D
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

Major Carrales

Quote from: BlackKnight on December 20, 2006, 11:00:18 PM
Ditto-  Try it and see how it works.

Personally, I prefer an open laisse-faire style forum.  "Phantom threadsters" occasionally come up with interesting proposals and observations, and I like to see those, especially when they're controversial.  It doesn't bother me to burn a few neurons separating out the quality posts from the background noise. 

'Course, I'm the guy who still won't use a spam filter because I might miss that special email about my great uncle once-removed winning the Nigerian lottery the same day he got hit by a bus...   ;D

See, that is a valid reason for the laisse-faire style. 

One quick un-pointed non-loaded question...

"Would you maintain the same point if such a threadster were funneling a libelous attack at you or your unit?"

If I were to counter your point I might say that unfounded rumors cause more harm than all the PA work in the nation put together does benefit to CAP.

Still, I can see it from your point.  Thanks...

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Lancer

'By Invitation' sounds very exclusionary even to CAP members.

I've been a supporter of having a private forum for CAP members, but just that, private and open to all CAP membership. Administration of such a system would be a feat for sure. Feasibility for such a system could be setup through NHQ/eServices, but I'm sure there are those 'outspoken' members who would not participate for fear of the 'Black Van' showing up at their house.

No matter how you slice it, there is no pleasing everyone, and the admin would be a semi-headache. Right now, if we could get more moderator involvement on captalk.net I think that would be a start.

CAP428

Personally, I would not like a "by invitation" forum because of its predisposition toward exclusion.  And you would still face many of the same issues found on this site and any other like it currently, because if someone wants to be hateful toward someone, the "obstacles" put forth by a "by invitation" forum probably won't stop them.

I'm all for keeping it open to whoever may come.

And here's one more point:
If it's by invitation for CAP members only, what about the potential members that can currently stumble across the forum and be introduced to CAP, but who otherwise might not know about it?  Sure they can see some bickering with the current format of this forum and similar ones, but they still see that it is full of people who care about the organization.  Shutting out the general public would make us seem elitist.

BlackKnight

Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

BillB

I don't think limiting it to CAP members would be productive. For example, I'm not currently a member of CAP but was a member for 50 years as cadet and senior. I think there are several posting on CAP Talk that aren't members, but their posts provide information or bring up questions of interest.
You may also have a problem of joining by invitation in that, how many people know a member in other Wings? You may just have opinions or ideas from specific Squadrons where members were invited to the forum from that Squadron. This could leave large areas of the country with no participation in the forum. Since problems in North Dakota are different that California, the same ideas would be rehashed.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

mikeylikey

I would have to pass on this idea.  I like the openess of say an open forum!
What's up monkeys?

Major Carrales

Thank you everyone for your contributions.  I have always been of the mind to post ideas and see if the merits of the various viewpoints can assist me in seeing an issue more clearly.

If it contributes anything, I spoke with a "high ranking offical" about this and he said such a forum already exists...it's called the CAP Knowledgebase.

Please, continue...

Major Carrales

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

QuoteI've been a supporter of having a private forum for CAP members, but just that, private and open to all CAP membership. Administration of such a system would be a feat for sure. Feasibility for such a system could be setup through NHQ/eServices, but I'm sure there are those 'outspoken' members who would not participate for fear of the 'Black Van' showing up at their house.

I understand that the CG Aux used to have an official forum.  It may have been CG Aux-members only, but it was before my time.  I've just heard about it.  Apparently used to have a lot of high-ranking folks participating. 

If you want to find out more about how it worked, go over to the CG Aux board at military.com and start a thread and in particular ask for comments from FL51D7. 

fyrfitrmedic

I don't know if 'by invitation only' is necessary, but a forum without anonymous users and 'sock puppets' wouldn't be a bad idea, IMHO.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

shorning

Major Carrales

Quote from: shorning on December 21, 2006, 02:28:37 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on December 21, 2006, 02:03:42 AM
...it's called the CAP Knowledgebase.

How is a KB a forum?

I don't know...that was the answer I got.  Likely he was coming from the idea that it is free of all the specualtion and actually "officially" answers questions, whereas all the other forums descend into attacks.

It is moderated to the ultimate level, yet most questions are answered formally and with documented evidence.

Major Carrales

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Pylon

Give a shot and let us know how it goes... unless of course, I'm not invited.  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Lancer

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 21, 2006, 02:03:42 AM
If it contributes anything, I spoke with a "high ranking offical" about this and he said such a forum already exists...it's called the CAP Knowledgebase.

That's the kind of 'Talking out of the side your mouth' answer that I would expect as a response from a 'high ranking official'.  Which means, in no uncertain terms, this is what you're getting as an 'official forum', take it or leave it.

I mean, I can see where that response is coming from, but, as a member, I don't buy it.