CAP senior member NCOs are not "Officers" but cadet officers are

Started by RiverAux, December 13, 2006, 11:38:19 PM

mikeylikey

Quote from: lordmonar on December 20, 2006, 07:34:42 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on December 20, 2006, 01:24:40 AM
That is not true. The TAG is NOT a once a month soldier. He is a full time Guardsman. He is AGR (active Guard/Reserves) So he is basically active duty.
AGR is full time on the states dime not the federal dime....and that makes a difference.

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 20, 2006, 01:24:40 AMMy Brigade Commander is a one star. He is a monthly soldier. and his commission as well as mine is federally recognized. The Guard in no different than active duty. Maybe it was like that back in the day, but nowadays. A commission is a commission. They are all the same. I went through the Guard OCS program. It was certified by FT Benning. We had FT Benning instructors and I have the same commission my active duty brethren have

Sort of...the regular services recognize all state commissions...but there is a difference.  If the NG gets federalised...the DOD does NOT have to recognized those commissions.  If we went to war and all the NG's got federalized and we did not need so many officers...the DOD could convert them to enlisted ranks.  Not this will ever happen in the near future...but it has happened in the past and is still in the rule books.

Could you imagine if this happened and NG Officers were told to put stripes on.  NG Officers would revolt.  Last time I looked, NG officers did not take an oath of enlistment.  I seriously doubt there is any provision to make NG officers transfer over to the enlisted side.  If there is it is jacked up and needs erased as soon as possible.  How can the Federal Government say "Major Joe Blow we don't need officers so we are activiting your States NG and converting you to a private and sending you to Iran"  Never could that happen.  States would not allow it to happen.  Don't forget that NG units go to war with THIER own Officers, not an assigned Federal Officer.

I thought I saw the TAG for my state on the Promotion list in Army Times a few years back.  Her second star is surely recognized by the Federal Government. 

The rule is that Officers go to war with the rank they wear no matter if it is NG, Reserve or Regular.  They may be advanced in rank by way of FROCKING but they are not demoted in rank until they return back to wherever they left from.  Perfect example was World War 2.  Officers were advanced in rank, paid at thier real rank and forced to remove the advanced rank when they returned home. 
What's up monkeys?

Hammer

Quote from: DrJbdm on December 19, 2006, 08:24:30 PM
  On my wall hangs a Certificate from the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement licensing me as a Peace Officer as well as a Commission from my agency appointing me as a Police Officer for the State of Texas, that also hangs on my wall, But that isn't what really makes me a Peace Officer or what really gives me any special powers, or even what allows me to carry my gun everywhere I go. That power ultimately comes from the oath I swore to with the Secretary of State and with the Agency who commissioned me as a Peace Officer. But it is a total package. (my credentials I carry in my wallet attests to the fact that I'm a Commissioned Officer)

So, what is the difference between a Peace Officer, and a Police Officer/LEO?

Hammer

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 19, 2006, 10:44:04 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 16, 2006, 03:04:42 PM
There must have been a reason that they felt it necessary to tack on that last phrase about them being under the age of 21.  I have a hard time believing they would do that unless there was some other requirement limiting it to 21 or above. 

Thats not true. There are six military junior colleges inthe USA. They will commission you as a college sophomoer and that is usually age 20. Now with that in mind, you MUST get your Bachelors in order to keep that commission.

Which colleges are those?

Hammer

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 19, 2006, 10:52:33 PM
Check this out since we are talking about ranks. In the National Guard, the Head of each state is called the Adjutant General (or TAG for short). There are 52 of these each state plus the Virgin Islands and PR) each TAG is normally a two-star General. Why? Because the CHief of the National Guard Bureau whos is a full time Guardsman in Washington DC is a three star Genral. Now, in my state, the Givenor promoted our TAG to three stars. I dont know how he did it, but he did. SO, now our TAG is the only three start TAG int he nation. However it is only recognized inthe state. If he goeas outside the state or if goes in front of the Chief, National Guard Bureau, he WILL where two stars. Its kinda strange, but hey its way above my pay grade, so I dont get involved. Jusst thought I'd mention it.

Are you, by chance, from MD?

Hammer

Quote from: DNall on December 20, 2006, 05:35:54 AM
(they're on state active duty, you notice they DO wear state decorations).

IMHO, which doesn't mean a whole lot, I think it's aubsulute BS that State Decorations must come off when on FAD.  I mean you earned it, so why not.....  If my memory serves, there is an AD AF General who has a State Decoration, and he wan't in the NG.  I am all for wearing State Decorations on the uniform.  My uncle is WVANG, and another is WVARNG, and yet another is PAARNG, and they have alot of State Decorations, and I know that they mean alot to each of them.  But hey, what's my opinion matter.

Hammer

Quote from: lordmonar on December 20, 2006, 05:12:38 PM
they chose to recognise your state commission (assuming you do not also hold a federal commission).

When ANG Officers graduate the National whatever it's called where they do their version of OCS, they receive USAFR Commissions, and when they get to their state, they get a State Commission.  At least that's how my uncle put it to me.

flyguy06

Quote from: Hammer on December 21, 2006, 03:32:57 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on December 19, 2006, 10:52:33 PM
Check this out since we are talking about ranks. In the National Guard, the Head of each state is called the Adjutant General (or TAG for short). There are 52 of these each state plus the Virgin Islands and PR) each TAG is normally a two-star General. Why? Because the CHief of the National Guard Bureau whos is a full time Guardsman in Washington DC is a three star Genral. Now, in my state, the Givenor promoted our TAG to three stars. I dont know how he did it, but he did. SO, now our TAG is the only three start TAG int he nation. However it is only recognized inthe state. If he goeas outside the state or if goes in front of the Chief, National Guard Bureau, he WILL where two stars. Its kinda strange, but hey its way above my pay grade, so I dont get involved. Jusst thought I'd mention it.

Nope, why did thta happen in MD?

Are you, by chance, from MD?

flyguy06

Quote from: Hammer on December 21, 2006, 03:32:06 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on December 19, 2006, 10:44:04 PM
There must have been a reason that they felt it necessary to tack on that last phrase about them being under the age of 21.  I have a hard time believing they would do that unless there was some other requirement limiting it to 21 or above. 

Thats not true. There are six military junior colleges inthe USA. They will commission you as a college sophomoer and that is usually age 20. Now with that in mind, you MUST get your Bachelors in order to keep that commission.

Georgia Military College
Marian Military Institute
New Mexico Military Institute
Valley Forge
I cant think of the other two right off hand

Which colleges are those?

flyguy06

You guys amek it sound like there is a big difference between National Guard Officers and Active Duty Officers. I think a lot of people think that but in reality there is no difference at all. I have been a National Guard oficer for six years. I went to the SAME Officer basic course as active duty officers. I have been deployed twice in six years to Bosnia and Iraq. In fact, since I have become an officer, I have been deployed more times that when I was enlisted on active duty. The schools we go to are the same. We have to meet the same standards. SO, really ther eisnt much differnce other than they do it everyday and we do it once a month and really we do it everyday too. Being a Guard officer isnt a once a month thing.We have meetings to attend. We have write up awards. We have to sign stuff and meetings to attend. Its like a full time job

DNall

Quote from: Hammer on December 21, 2006, 03:44:46 AM
When ANG Officers graduate the National whatever it's called where they do their version of OCS, they receive USAFR Commissions, and when they get to their state, they get a State Commission.  At least that's how my uncle put it to me.
ANG officers go to regular OTS right alongside active & reserve officers, just the selection process is different. They get a reserve commission graduating from the federal program, reserve & active officers get regular commissions. No big deal.

Army NG is a little different as they need quite a few more junior officers. They select their own candidates, send them to basic training (if they haven't already been - and where they DO swear an oath of enlistment), then bring them back for one wknd/mo two wks a year style OCS over 18mos run by the state - during which they get paid at E-5 (unless they were already higher then that). There is no requirement that they have a degree before they start or when they finish, though it's obviously encouraged. The feds then officially "recognize' them right away or at some point later, depending on when they decide they meet the regular Army requirements.

Once on Active duty, the Army can revert a person to the lowest federal grade. That might be one step back or it might be all the way to E-5, depending on what the feds have "recognized" up to that point. Obviously this isn't that big a deal since the states do a pretty good job & most are federally recognized right away or within six months, and are rarely promoted over federal grade except at general grades that are kind of tied by tradition to certain positions. Frocking is a whole seperate & barely related subject.

lordmonar

In some jurisdictions you cannot enter into certain contracts until you are 21.  The 18 year old age of majority is NOT a universal.

That is the big sticking point.  By age 21 you are no longer a minor in any jurisdictions in the the United States and before the 70's you had to be 21 to vote. 

A lot of this is still a hold over of old laws and mind sets.  Of course...the age issue can be waived so if you really had some hot shot 16 year old who really was smart enough and mature enough to do the job....he could get an age waiver and be come an officer. (well no because we have treaties forbidding "children" from serving in the military...but that is a different issue).
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Hammer on December 21, 2006, 03:30:38 AMSo, what is the difference between a Peace Officer, and a Police Officer/LEO?

Just wording. They're one and the same.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DrJbdm

QuoteSo, what is the difference between a Peace Officer, and a Police Officer/LEO?

It's all in terminology. a Peace Officer is the same thing as a Police Officer or a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO). Basically as Peace Officers we are all Law Enforcement Officers. The State Licenses us as Peace Officers and the term Police Officer or LEO is more of a generic term. In the state code of criminal procedures it lists who are Peace Officers and believe me it's a big list.... All those individuals in that position must be licensed by the State and Commissioned as Law Enforcement Officers.. or.. Police Officers. whatever term you or that agency cares to use. it's all one in the same. A Sheriffs Deputy and a State Trooper as well as a City Police Officer are all Peace Officers and they can all call themselves Police Officers.

The short answer? It's all the same animal. At least here in Texas and in most other states.