RIP Cadet Major Jacob E. Rueth

Started by LC, December 04, 2006, 08:44:00 PM

LC

I'm not sure if this is on here already, but i just got the tragic news yesterday!
Rest in peace Jacob...
Best wishes to everyone that knew him, and his family!

December 2, 2006

MEMORANDUM FOR ALL MEMBERS IL WING

SUBJECT: C/Maj Jacob E. Rueth Tragic Accident

On Friday, December 1, 2006, IL Wing C/Maj Jacob E. Rueth tragically lost his life in an aircraft accident. The flight was non-CAP related. C/Maj Rueth, 18, lived in Orland Park and was a member of the Lewis Composite Squadron in Group 2.

C/Maj Rueth was a student at the University of North Dakota's John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Science. A fellow student also lost his life in the accident. C/Maj Rueth was identified as the Pilot in Command.

This marks the third tragic loss of life for Group 2 in 2006. In August, Cadet Michael Gurt was killed while crossing railroad tracks near his home. Then, in September, Capt Paul Forsyth passed away from natural causes.

Most recently C/Maj Rueth was an active member of the Illinois Wing/Great Lakes Region Cadet Competition Team. Lewis Composite Squadron Commander, 1st Lt Daniel Wynard stated, "I just received cadet Rueth's Commanders Commendation for his drill team participation a couple of days ago."

On Saturday evening, WMAQ and FOX local news carried the story including interviews with the parents. Additional information regarding visitation and funeral services will follow.

Joseph S. King
Colonel Joseph S. King, CAP
HQ ILWG/PA
(847) 519-0289
(847) 899-3257 (Cellular)
pa@ilwg.cap.gov

Here is an Associated Press story about the accident:

Illinois man one of 2 students killed in NW Minn. plane crash
Associated Press

December 2, 2006, 1:16 PM CST

CROOKSTON, Minn. -- A single engine Cessna carrying two University of North Dakota students, including an 18-year-old from suburban Chicago, crashed into a farm field near Crookston early Saturday, killing both men.

The Polk County Sheriff's Office identified the victims as Jacob Edward Rueth, of Orland Park, Ill.; and Jacob Allen Sundblad, 19, of Annandale. Rueth was identified as the pilot.

Authorities responded at 1:40 a.m. Saturday to the report of a possible downed plane near the Crookston Municipal Airport. After a short search they located the plane about a mile and a half from the airport; both men were found dead inside.

The Ramsey County Medical Examiner in St. Paul will perform autopsies on both victims. The sheriff's department said the Federal Aviation Administration will investigate the crash.

Crookston is 25 miles southeast of Grand Forks, N.D., the home of the University of North Dakota. Rueth and Sundblad were both freshmen at the school, and both were enrolled in its John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Science, which bills itself as offering the most comprehensive aviation training in the word.

Rueth was a pre-commercial aviation major, and Sundblad was a pre-flight education major, according to a news release from the university. The crashed flight was not part of an assignment or otherwise sanctioned by the school, according to spokesman Peter Johnson.

Sundblad graduated from Annandale High School in June and had just been back home over school for Thanksgiving, Pat Chapman, a friend who was speaking for the Sundblad family, told the Star Tribune.

"There was nothing but a smile on his face," Chapman said, describing Sundblad as very outgoing and full of life.

"We are greatly saddened to learn of the deaths of Jacob Rueth and Jacob Sundblad," University of North Dakota President Charles Kupchella said in a statement. "We will keep Jacob and Jacob and their families in our thoughts and prayers."

Jacob Rueth arrangements:

Visitation: Tuesday, 05 December 2006

3:00 PM to 9:00 PM

Lawn Funeral Home, Ltd.
7732 W. 159th St.
Orland Park, Illinois 60462
708-429-3200

Service: Wednesday, 06 December 2006

10:00 AM

St. Elizabeth Seton Church

9300 W. !67th St.

Orland Hills, IL

Copyright © 2006, The Associated Press

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local..

DNall

Sad to hear. RIP indeed & my prayers for the family.

Is that the thrid or fourth C/officer killed in the last couple months? Crazy world!

Chris Jacobs

I met him briefly at national blue beret this year.  He was really a great person.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

elkorona

I actually received a call from the C/CC of the ILWG DT to tell one cadet that is in ROTC with me about the unfortunate death of Cadet Rueth.  I met him at NCC and from what I know, he was a great guy and will surely be missed.
Lt Col Elliott Korona, CAP
Deputy Director, Civic Leadership Academy

RiverAux

From CAP News Online:

QuoteMINNESOTA -- A Northwest Minnesota Composite Squadron ground team responding to a report of an electronic locator transmitter going off Dec. 1 in the Crookston area found a downed Cessna 172 and the bodies of the pilot and passenger less than 2 miles southwest of the Crookston Municipal Airport.

The Northwest Minnesota squadron located the plane after being sent to the airport upon hearing from Maj. Chet Wilberg, Minnesota Wing duty officer, whom the Air Force Rescue and Coordination Center. 
had informed of the transmitter signal.

The ground team contacted local police and the airport's fixed base operator to help with the search of airport. The fixed base operator noticed a Cessna 172 was missing from the ramp where it should have been after being rented earlier in the day. 

Pilot Jacob Rueth of Orland Park, Ill., was a cadet major in the Ilinois Wing's Lewis Composite Squadron. He and passenger Jacob Sundlad of Annandale, Minn., were freshman aviation students at the University of North Dakota.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the crash.