CAP members to get Army awards

Started by RiverAux, November 13, 2006, 11:29:35 PM

NEBoom

Quote from: spy on December 10, 2006, 09:44:23 PM
So MG Pineda thought it was great enough to brief all of the Wing Commanders by conference call.  Anybody know what happened on that conference call?  Do you know who asked a lot of questions and who was rudely told to "shut up" by MG Pineda?
The questions concerned the membership drop of 17% since IAWG started this program.  Do you know how many squadrons have folded and how many members have left CAP or transferred to other Wings?
Before we accept this program as the "cure all" for CAP, we need all of the facts.  How many officers and squadrons did they have at the beginning of the year and how many do they have now????
How about it Lt Colonel Critelli????

If you have anything to say about what's going on in Iowa (good, bad, or indifferent) and you want anyone to treat your comments with any kind of credibility, then you need to grow a pair and put your name behind your accusations.  Taking pot shots at the Iowa Wing's leadershp on an internet message board behind a fake name is not only cowardly, it's stupid as well.  If you think you're changing anyone's mind with crap like this, you're sadly mistaken.  Please do all of us a favor and get a clue/life/job.

To everyone else:  "PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLL!!"
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Nick Critelli

For those of you who are genuine in doing your due diligence on the Iowa program so that you can properly advise your wing's leadership,  let me give you some information regarding wing size, recruiting, retention etc. 

1.  Gross size of a wing only measures the effectiveness of your recruitment program.  All other metrics must be based upon performance or member progression.

2.  Iowa Wing's gross size varies  on a seasonal basis from between 380 to 407. In the late fall early winter we will hit a low, in the late spring we will hit a high.  Right now we are around 390, last month we were at 403  Most of the variance  is due to the cadet program.  There has not been a 17% decrease in membership.  That would mean that 70 members had left. So far we have identified 7 members who have left due to disagreements with the new wing program.  More on them later.  Our retention has been horrible. We used to turn over more that  35% of the Wing annually. That has changed.  We are now ending 2 years of our Officer Training School. 72 have graduated.  We've only lost 1.   

3.  Squadrons come and go. This is a terrible problem. Previously we operated under a rush-to-charter theory. Now we are paying the price.  A squadron with 4 active people is not a squadron.  Consequently we de-chartered two squadrons but kept their physical base which we refer to as a CAP Air Station. The old squadrons were rolled into the All Iowa Squadron.  Another squadron may be headed that way.  The goal is to get them into the AIS, target recruit in the geographical area, get the new recruits strong meeting at the air station and then grow into a full squadron.  It's a process designed to grow and rejuvenate dying squadrons. 

4.  (The following comments apply only to officers and not the cadet program. Cadet recruitment and retention is an entirely different problem which we have yet to solve.) We paid a heavy price for allowing the squadrons to engage general recruitment.   They would recruit but not follow through on the education, training, etc.  Those members usually quit after six months.  Worse yet, they left with a very bad taste for CAP.  That was stupid on our part.  We have not gone to targeted wing based recruitment.  We look at a squadron, assess its operational needs and then try target our recruitment to fill the need.  It doesn't make sense to have a squadron full of pilots when you need ground team members or vice versa. To be a useful tactical tool the squadron must be balanced in some manner.  The manner in which it is balanced depends upon its intended need.  We do the recruiting, education and training. All the squadron commander must do is retain them by providing a positive and active environment.  We even help with that by requiring our squadrons to engage in some form of ES practice outside of the WTA at least one time per quarter...at our cost.  Yes...free flying.  This means that squadron commanders lose some power (recruitment, education and training) but we are a wing based organization not a squadron centric confederation. 

5.  Why did the seven members leave?  Personality conflicts; they wanted it their way.  The problem is they didn't do the investigation, research and due diligence to verify that their way was the way to go.  Their response was a simple "That's  not the way we've done it before."   That didn't cut it over here.  We have lost 4 Lt Col's,  2 Majors and 1 Captain.

6.  Iowa has NO GHOST SQUADRON. We have a very viable IAWG CAP Reserve Squadron (000).  Those in the reserves (including myself next year) take great offense to being called members of a ghost squadron.  Members routinely transfer in and out of the reserve squadron.  I have a heavy trial schedule next year which may limit my CAP time.  I will transfer to the Reserves.  While in the reserve, I will have no CAP obligations, WTA, training, etc.  When things ease up I will transfer back.  If my qualifications remain current I will return at the same level, grade, rank, etc Over here, only active officers remain in a squadron.  This is important because each squadron must meet certain preparedness and readiness standards which require that their members actually do something rather than sit around and drink coffee.  If a squadron is loaded with dead weight (like me next year) its P&R standards will suffer.  The squadron cc or the officer can initiate a transfer to the Reserves. If the officer objects, they remain but are asked to step up their participation.  While in the Reserves, I can come to the WTA or any squadron meeting I wish, I can even be called out on a mission if I am qualified. I just have no meeting or drill obligation.  We are in the process of naming a squadron commander for the Reserves.  That squadron will meet (virtually) via  the Internet.

NICK CRITELLI, Lt Col CAP
Chief of Staff —Iowa Wing

RiverAux

QuoteConsequently we de-chartered two squadrons but kept their physical base which we refer to as a CAP Air Station.

CAPWATCH identified these two units as flights.  Was that an error?

Nick Critelli

Quote from: RiverAux on December 12, 2006, 12:19:54 AM
QuoteConsequently we de-chartered two squadrons but kept their physical base which we refer to as a CAP Air Station.

CAPWATCH identified these two units as flights.  Was that an error?

Yes, unless someone updated it recently. 

RogueLeader

There is a member that is, oops- WAS, in our squadron who is currently deployed to Iraq, and was transfered to the Reserve squad.  This was not initiated by him, or those at the squad.  He feels that this was in retribution for not being active in the squad.  We also have a Captain in the squad, as the Seinor Activities Officer who has not been to a meeting for quite some time, about six to eight months.  I had to take her job as TCO so cadets could have a regular tester.  Why is she still in the squad, but not him?  Does this not make sense?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Psicorp

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 12, 2006, 05:50:24 PM
There is a member that is, oops- WAS, in our squadron who is currently deployed to Iraq, and was transfered to the Reserve squad.  This was not initiated by him, or those at the squad.  He feels that this was in retribution for not being active in the squad.  We also have a Captain in the squad, as the Seinor Activities Officer who has not been to a meeting for quite some time, about six to eight months.  I had to take her job as TCO so cadets could have a regular tester.  Why is she still in the squad, but not him?  Does this not make sense?

*Concentrates*  Hmmm...Difficult to see, it is.  The Dark Side clouds everything.  Ask your Jedi Council, you should.

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

RogueLeader

Quote from: Psicorp on December 12, 2006, 05:55:54 PM

*Concentrates*  Hmmm...Difficult to see, it is.  The Dark Side clouds everything.  Ask your Jedi Council, you should.

Hmmm... the Jedi Council it is not.  The Senate, it has become.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

About one of the LtCol that left.  He told me "I don't want to serve at wing.  That's why I quit [Wing Safety Officer].  Now they tell me to serve there, or take a transfere to the Reserve Squadron."
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Al Sayre

QuoteWhile in the Reserves, I can come to the WTA or any squadron meeting I wish, I can even be called out on a mission if I am qualified. I just have no meeting or drill obligation.  We are in the process of naming a squadron commander for the Reserves.  That squadron will meet (virtually) via  the Internet.

Sounds like the Reserves is just the place for those who don't want to/can't serve at Wing.  It gives them a pretty wide range of options and they can still attend squadron meetings...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

MIKE

Please refrain from referring to squadrons as squads.  Thanks.
Mike Johnston

flyguy06

Quote from: BillB on December 07, 2006, 06:35:44 PM
Having worked with MGen Pineda prior to his becoming National Commander, I think many are misjudging his goals for CAP. Granted he has to play the petty politics of the corporate structure, but his aims are to improve CAP as an organization. His state job in Florida allows a flex schedule so he can put the required time in for CAP and still complete the job in Florida.

I am in law enforcement myself in my state and I dont see how he does it

flyguy06

Quote from: cyclone on December 07, 2006, 09:08:21 PM
Maj Gen Pineda survived a grueling schedule while in Iowa.  We had him out the door at 7 am and back at his room at 11 pm for the three days he was here (which was after 3 days at a conference out east).  He wanted to see what CAP was doing, not just at the high level, but every level.

He commented that he would like to visit a squadron meeting, but unfortunately none of our squadrons in the area met on the evenings he was in town.

I think it wisest for us not to worry about how he can spend this much time helping CAP, but how your wings could lobby the state legislatures to protect your jobs while you are doing CAP.

I am curious because i want to be able to do the same thing so that I can help my squadron be successful

DNall

MajGen Pineda works for state LE agency in Florida. As you can imagine, Florida has pretty strong language on the books for state employees who also serve in volunteer or part-time capacities with ES/Disaster related orgs. To be frank, I think most any large Govt agency would be very open to working with someone that is serving in a capacity as national commander of something like CAP. Then as I understand it he also uses flex time & does some work from the road. What he's billing htem for & what he's not, you'd have to ask him, his accountant, & his boss about.

Nick,
That sounds even better organized than I thought it was. Keep up the good work. I'll be referring some people to talk to you shortly.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Al Sayre on December 12, 2006, 06:21:40 PM
QuoteWhile in the Reserves, I can come to the WTA or any squadron meeting I wish, I can even be called out on a mission if I am qualified. I just have no meeting or drill obligation.  We are in the process of naming a squadron commander for the Reserves.  That squadron will meet (virtually) via  the Internet.

Sounds like the Reserves is just the place for those who don't want to/can't serve at Wing.  It gives them a pretty wide range of options and they can still attend squadron meetings...

The deal is that they WANT to serve locally.  They want to have a job at the squadron.  They don't want to just show up.  Being assigned to IA 000, that means that they have no job.  Me, I'm the TCO and PDO, but they can't be as they are not members of that unit.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DNall

I imagine if they REALLY want a Sq job, & don't want the responsibilities that come with their level of advancement, that they can fill out a 2a & demote to Captain. They're free to make a decision on if their grade or assignment is more important to them. All the Wing is doing is putting people in units & assigning them jobs appropriate to their experience. To me it sounds like the Wing is trying to put things right & a few people, who liked the anarchy freedom of the old system, now want to have their cake & eat it too. It's jsut a problem in transition, and obviously not a very wide-spread one. As this thing moves forward in time, people who want to stay locally will just not apply for promotion to field grade.

lordmonar

I'm not really sure how it is done there in Iowa...but if you are a member of a squadron and they have a job for you.....can't they just transfer you?

Being sent to reserve squadron as far as I can see does not mean you can't participate....in only means that you being managed by the wing and not the squadron.

From what I gathered....90% of the SM's in the wing will be in the 000 squadron and only those who are "leadership" will actually be assigned to the local squadrons (or operations bases).

Since all the SM PD and ES training are done at the central training facility there is no need for most of the local squadron staff duty jobs....just the operations and aircraft management jobs.

Also...getting moved to the reserve squadron is not some sort of punishment (like getting sent to the Leper Colony in 12 o'clock High) but is just a way of centerally maintaining the wing's personnel.

They have already stated that they are moving to a wing centric operations...this is just one of those steps.

I may be wrong...I'm not there....but by the plan I read an the positive posts I have heard about this...I don't see what the problem is.

If you still getting your training, if you are getting a meaningful job (if you want one and are qualified) if you being called out for missions....does it matter what your charter number is?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

flyguy06

Quote from: DNall on December 12, 2006, 09:33:29 PM
MajGen Pineda works for state LE agency in Florida. As you can imagine, Florida has pretty strong language on the books for state employees who also serve in volunteer or part-time capacities with ES/Disaster related orgs. To be frank, I think most any large Govt agency would be very open to working with someone that is serving in a capacity as national commander of something like CAP. Then as I understand it he also uses flex time & does some work from the road. What he's billing htem for & what he's not, you'd have to ask him, his accountant, & his boss about.

Nick,
That sounds even better organized than I thought it was. Keep up the good work. I'll be referring some people to talk to you shortly.

We all know he works for FDLE. Thats no secret. I am not trying to bash. I am honestly trying to find out how he does it so I can do it also.

RogueLeader

Quote from: lordmonar on December 12, 2006, 10:25:08 PM
I'm not really sure how it is done there in Iowa...but if you are a member of a squadron and they have a job for you.....can't they just transfer you?

Being sent to reserve squadron as far as I can see does not mean you can't participate....in only means that you being managed by the wing and not the squadron.

From what I gathered....90% of the SM's in the wing will be in the 000 squadron and only those who are "leadership" will actually be assigned to the local squadrons (or operations bases).

Since all the SM PD and ES training are done at the central training facility there is no need for most of the local squadron staff duty jobs....just the operations and aircraft management jobs.

Also...getting moved to the reserve squadron is not some sort of punishment (like getting sent to the Leper Colony in 12 o'clock High) but is just a way of centerally maintaining the wing's personnel.

They have already stated that they are moving to a wing centric operations...this is just one of those steps.

I may be wrong...I'm not there....but by the plan I read an the positive posts I have heard about this...I don't see what the problem is.

If you still getting your training, if you are getting a meaningful job (if you want one and are qualified) if you being called out for missions....does it matter what your charter number is?
I'm not saying it is a punishment.  The CAP officer in Iraq, says its a punishment.  I don't really care one way or another.  I thought it relevant to those out there of what SOME people think.  In our squadfron, there are 8 SM's with jobs.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

TDHenderson

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 13, 2006, 02:00:14 PM
I'm not saying it is a punishment.  The CAP officer in Iraq, says its a punishment.  I don't really care one way or another.  I thought it relevant to those out there of what SOME people think.  In our squadron, there are 8 Sm's with jobs.

It all has to do with Squadron readiness.  The Squadrons in Iowa are now being held responsible by the Wing (who is being held responsible by the State for the overall preparedness of the Wing) for our unit ES readiness, or the ability to respond to a mission.  Officers who are not able to contribute to that ES readiness (for reasons of illness, military deployment, family commitments, etc) reduce that Squadron's readiness factor.  If that factor drops below the set standard the unit is no longer able to respond to a mission.  So to avoid that from happening the Officer (or Unit Commander) should initiate a transfer to the Reserve Squadron (IA-000) until such time as the Officer can return to "active" status with the home Squadron and is able to respond to ES missions.   

If you do not know about this I suggest you ask your Squadron Commander.  They were all briefed on this new program recently and should know the details.  Or come to the WTA this weekend at Camp Dodge and get all of the details.

RogueLeader

What about those people who are not ES qualified because of they don't have the training, but are want that particular training? Should they be transfered to 000 until they are ES qualified?  The number of ES qualified people at our squad is only half the roster due to new members and several leaving for other reasons.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340