National COY - Only Juniors and above?

Started by xray328, January 06, 2019, 06:33:57 PM

xray328

What's the reasoning behind requiring the national cadet of the year to be at least a junior in high school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jester

My theory is that it's targeting those Phase IV cadets that are in the prime target audience for college scholarships and service academy nominations in the time where it's freshest for those processes.

An annual award is more valuable when it's more recent and therefore more visible to selection committees.

BHeck73

One could also say it helps keep the nominations to a managible level. I have submitted to COY nominations, and they aren't all that easy to write or read through. Lots of documentation is required, and if your trying not to let the cadet in on it you are likely going through the parents.

It also requires Earhart as a minimum, so between Jr. in HS and cadet Captain its keeping it to a relative small number to read through and process in the short time period.

The above poster is also right, with scholarships and academy nominations starting at that time, its a prime award for those selection committees.

PHall

Earhart and above means that they've actually had a CAP career so there is something to evaluate.