Pre-made ribbon racks for CAP and military

Started by J2H, April 16, 2018, 04:38:06 AM

J2H

FOUND IT!
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

SarDragon

Found what?

Is it something you can tell us, or is this just a sterling example of a vague-post?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

J2H

Starbird

Quote from: J2H on April 16, 2018, 06:36:41 AM
Ultrathin.com

Ultrathin user here, can confirm.  Have used them for over a year and a half, excellent quality, would recommend!  Only major complaint is the fact you have to buy a new rack whenever you get a new ribbon (and as I've already established in another post that I dislike so many ribbons, so I short stack these days -- which really helps keeping the cost down when ordering from Ultrathin.)  Pretty sure most people know what they look like already, but I'll throw up some pictures of an old rack they made when I was a C/MSgt.  While not shown here, the great thing is they have no problem adding mil ribbons to CAP racks, so adding the AFOEA is no problem.

Cheers,

C/2d Lt Starbird

Eclipse

Ultrathins are very sharp, and also inappropriate for cadets due to the expense.

People will spend money as they will, but not generally a good idea.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: Starbird on April 16, 2018, 12:48:00 PM
Only major complaint is the fact you have to buy a new rack whenever you get a new ribbon

No, you do not.  You can mail back the previous ribbon rack back to the company and they can add to the rack without having to purchase a new one.  That helps keep the cost down.  Nevertheless, I would never suggest ultrathin ribbons for cadets unless you are buying a nice display set.   

GroundHawg

Ultrathin doesn't do the best job at order of precedence either. I had to inform a wing and region commander that their racks were out of order. Both were ultrathin racks,  they were less than pleased.

Devil Doc

Ultrathin does not mix CAP and Military, also they get the AFOEA ribbon in the wrong place. I usually make my own rack, it is a PITA with 7 rows.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Devil Doc

i w mistaken, I was using ultrathin wrong. However, they dont put the AFOE ribbon in the right spot.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 16, 2018, 06:31:32 PM
i w mistaken, I was using ultrathin wrong. However, they dont put the AFOE ribbon in the right spot.

Just had a new rack built with UltraThins: I started with a new rack using USAF ribbons to start with the AFOE, switched to CAP ribbons, and added each CAP ribbon and devices in order one-by-one. Rack arrived a few weeks back and looks great.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Vegas1972

Quote from: Paul Creed III on April 16, 2018, 07:17:58 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on April 16, 2018, 06:31:32 PM

Just had a new rack built with UltraThins: I started with a new rack using USAF ribbons to start with the AFOE, switched to CAP ribbons, and added each CAP ribbon and devices in order one-by-one. Rack arrived a few weeks back and looks great.

That will work if you don't have any other military ribbons.   If you have other military ribbons added, it puts the AFOE up where it belongs in the military order.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker.

kwe1009

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 16, 2018, 06:10:24 PM
Ultrathin does not mix CAP and Military, also they get the AFOEA ribbon in the wrong place. I usually make my own rack, it is a PITA with 7 rows.

They do mix CAP and military ribbons.  If you want to get the AFOEA ribbon in the CAP spot then you need to call them.  They are great to work with. I have used them for over 25 years.

GroundHawg

Until they update their software to correct the order of precedence and to include ribbons that they incorrectly say are not allowed to be worn, I wouldn't order anything from them.

kwe1009

Quote from: GroundHawg on April 17, 2018, 03:33:58 PM
Until they update their software to correct the order of precedence and to include ribbons that they incorrectly say are not allowed to be worn, I wouldn't order anything from them.

To each his own.  It is very simple to either call or email them asking for the AFOEA ribbon to be put in the CAP-mandated position.  If you want thin ribbons, this is probably the only way to get them.  I doubt any other supplier is going to change their rack building software to account for the AFOEA to be in 2 different places depending on the individual.

GroundHawg

Quote from: kwe1009 on April 17, 2018, 03:54:46 PM

To each his own.  It is very simple to either call or email them asking for the AFOEA ribbon to be put in the CAP-mandated position.  If you want thin ribbons, this is probably the only way to get them.  I doubt any other supplier is going to change their rack building software to account for the AFOEA to be in 2 different places depending on the individual.

That sadly isn't their only issue. They put foreign ribbons above CAP, and say that many (at least 25 at my last count) military awards are not allowed to be worn on the uniform. I have sent multiple emails to them about this with zero response.

kwe1009

Quote from: GroundHawg on April 17, 2018, 04:04:14 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on April 17, 2018, 03:54:46 PM

That sadly isn't their only issue. They put foreign ribbons above CAP, and say that many (at least 25 at my last count) military awards are not allowed to be worn on the uniform. I have sent multiple emails to them about this with zero response.

This is honestly the first issue I have heard about Ultrathin and they have always been quick to respond to me.  I don't have any foreign awards and all of my military awards are USAF and their rack builder shows them perfectly (except for the CAP AFOEA). 

BraveRifles19D

I always liked putting my rack together. I think that's part of the fun being a cadet.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

PHall

If you provide them with instructions in the remarks block of the Order Form, Ultra Thin will put your ribbons where YOU want them.
But you gotta give them instructions...

J2H

I'll have to look where the AFOEA is supposed to go... the website did a good job mixing my AF, Army, and CAP ribbons

Jester

It goes behind your last military award and before your first CAP one.