B17 crashed today

Started by Nikos, October 02, 2019, 03:14:49 PM

Nikos

A vintage B17 crashed at Bradley Airport near Hartford CT this morning .  Thirteen people on board, and there is a large fire.

etodd

Might be better in the Aviation Activities Forum.  Too sad to be posted in "Hysterical History "
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

EMT-83

There was an eyewitness account that seems credible, stating the bomber lost an engine on takeoff and returned to the airport. Upon landing, they veered off the runway into the aircraft de-icing area, striking a truck and above-ground storage tanks.

There were 13 on board the aircraft; six were transported to area hospitals. Fatalities are reported, but no number released.

N6RVT

Quote from: Nikos on October 02, 2019, 03:14:49 PM
A vintage B17 crashed at Bradley Airport near Hartford CT this morning .  Thirteen people on board, and there is a large fire.

baronet68

It was the Collings Foundation's B-17G "Nine-O-Nine" which crashed.  I flew on that a few years ago and it was an amazing experience.

However, but the picture above is wrong.  That is a photo of the "Liberty Belle" which had a forced landing and fire in 2011.

Below is a recent photo of the Nine-O-Nine:

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Luis R. Ramos

About how many B-17 are left now, and in flight status?

It is a shame this happened to those injured and dead.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

NIN

Not many. Nine-O-Nine has been a staple around here since the Collings Foundation isn't far away.

It was just here at KLCI over the weekend.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

EMT-83

ATC recordings confirm that the pilot reported engine failure on takeoff and asked to return to the airport. The initial NTSB statement says the aircraft struck an ILS stanchion, then veered into the de-icing facility.

The death toll is at seven, and the injured include 1 critical burn victim and 5 others.

As to the number of B-17s still airworthy, one aviation historian interviewed said there are nine. Collins was just at our local airport, and I watched their planes fly over my house for a couple of days.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on October 02, 2019, 09:59:58 PM
About how many B-17 are left now, and in flight status?

It is a shame this happened to those injured and dead.

I think that puts the number at 17 flyable B-17s in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Luis R. Ramos

After I asked that question, I looked in Wikipedia which stated there were 10. I did not check as to the article date.

Whether it is 10, 9, 17, or 16, that is too few of these birds flying.

Also makes me wonder if some of those still flying may have hidden problems that would require a return after take off.

And lastly, too many people died in that crash.
Squadron Safety Officer

Live2Learn

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on October 03, 2019, 04:18:41 PM
After I asked that question, I looked in Wikipedia which stated there were 10. I did not check as to the article date.

Whether it is 10, 9, 17, or 16, that is too few of these birds flying.

Also makes me wonder if some of those still flying may have hidden problems that would require a return after take off.

And lastly, too many people died in that crash.

FOR THE MODERATORS...  It would be helpful if the thread could continue to be updated through the eventual release of the NTSB Factual Report and Probable Cause.  If there is post crash litigation it would also be helpful to our understanding of the risks and other factors of continued exhibition flights by these historically significant aircraft.  FWIW, it is very common for CAP SM and Cadets to participate in aviation events on flight lines where these aircraft fly.

Shdwcaster

NTSB released some B-Roll video of the initial crash investigation today.

I don't think I'm really qualified to make any notes of substance, other than to say that given the wreckage, it's amazing that anyone survived. Also it's interesting to see that the investigators appear to be using a DJI Phantom for their overhead shots?

Friendly squadron DCC.
"I have no idea how any of this happened."

sardak

QuoteAlso it's interesting to see that the investigators appear to be using a DJI Phantom for their overhead shots?
Yes, the NTSB has been using drones for several years now on most accident investigations.  It is a Phantom and they've got several Part 107 waivers.

Mike

Luis R. Ramos

YouTube presentation... Have not seen this yet, I am in the middle of a class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpv-xxYQ8-o
Squadron Safety Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on October 05, 2019, 03:16:33 PM
YouTube presentation... Have not seen this yet, I am in the middle of a class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpv-xxYQ8-o

Don't waste your time Luis. He doesn't know any more then anybody else.
The NTSB should have an Interm Report out pretty soon.

EMT-83

This is actually a very informative video. The local news outlets are tripping over themselves to report anything about the crash, and this does provide some clarity for those who don't know any better.

NIN

Juan Brown is a solid aviation vlogger (also, former AF pilot and current 777 FO). His stuff is really decent, and he does a pretty good job of "desensationalizing" reportage on aviation matters.

There was a recent airline incident with an emergency descent & landing following a pressurization failure at ~30,000 ft. He broke down what likely occurred, how the systems work, how airline crews conduct an emergency descent,  why it wasn't an "uncontrolled plummet" like the media was reporting, etc.

I watch his stuff all the time. He's fairly factual, takes the initial reports and helps separate the wheat from the chaff, demonstrates that the media seldom gets it right, and he usually will say when something is an opinion versus fact as to what happened.

I'd recommend the Blanco Lirio channel any time. I'm going to sign up as a Patreon if it means he'll get a teleprompter...lol.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.