Main Menu

A real Encampment

Started by NCRblues, June 25, 2015, 10:55:46 PM

NCRblues

Over the last few weeks I have been following the adventures and pictures of a couple Wing Encampments and I realized something.

What happened to JUST an encampment?

Has anyone else noticed the shift in array of a local Wing Encampment?

For instance, one local encampment advertised stronger for a side activity than the actual basic event. Another I witnessed on Facebook spoke of having 4 (holy cow) different "levels" of encampment. Another spoke more of the senior training that was going to take place beside and during the encampment way more than the host activity itself.

What happened to focussing on providing our newest cadet members an amazing and unequalled foundation on which to build a highly successful cadet career?

WIWAC, the senior members at the activity were in constant and ever changing contact with the cadet staff about leadership and leading principles. How can a Wing offer the cadets the much needed mentoring that should be taking place while at the same time offering SLS/CLC/TLC/IG basic and any number of other "side activities" like honor guard or advanced encampment?

I miss seeing and attending an encampment that is built, functions and operates for one sole purpose, the basic new cadet.

Sorry for the rant
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

SarDragon

Today's CAP world is different from the CAP world of even 10 years ago, and it is far different from 20, 30, or 40 years ago.

Availability of people and venues is much lower. It is much easier to run multiple events concurrently at one venue than it is to independently schedule them at different times, or possibly different places.

At the last PD event I taught at, I was "idle" more tan half my time there. Had there been another class of some sort to teach, I could have stayed busy the entire weekend. Using the senior members more efficiently is certainly a plus, as is using a facility.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

I don't really see a problem with that.

IMHO "encampment" should be more  like BSA summer camp.

It should offer something for everyone in your unit.   IMHO EVERY MEMBER of the unit senior and cadet should go to encampment every year.

"Encampment" should have a "Basic Cadet" experience (a.k.a. our current understanding of encampment).  Every Encampment should offer NESA style ES training, they should be offering Senior Level PD, they should be offering advanced cadet leadership opportunities (public speaking, Power Point 101) and it should be offering all sorts of other just for fun activities.

Otherwise it is just a one time good deal.  Why ever go back except as staff?

[/rant]

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

You want a "real" encampment?  Then come out to California Wing at Camp San Luis Obispo from 1 to 8 July.
All we do is "just" encampment.  Of course with 350+ personnel that's about all you can do.

HGjunkie

Quote from: lordmonar on June 26, 2015, 12:30:01 AM
Every Encampment should offer NESA style ES training, they should be offering Senior Level PD, they should be offering advanced cadet leadership opportunities (public speaking, Power Point 101) and it should be offering all sorts of other just for fun activities.

I agree, but there's just too many things to possibly do in one week and have any real exposure to the topic presented. I think specialized schools like NESA should still be separate, but maybe have them operate at the same time/place as regular encampment, like a total encampment with a basic encampment section, an ES section, etc. Focusing on developing a very solid basic encampment focusing on the fundamentals of military leadership, aerospace, PT and some fundamental skills useful in CAP and then going to some other specialized schools later on is better than throwing everything into one pot and reducing the overall quality of the training.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

lordmonar

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 26, 2015, 01:56:45 AM
Every Encampment should offer NESA style ES training, they should be offering Senior Level PD, they should be offering advanced cadet leadership opportunities (public speaking, Power Point 101) and it should be offering all sorts of other just for fun activities.

I agree, but there's just too many things to possibly do in one week and have any real exposure to the topic presented. I think specialized schools like NESA should still be separate, but maybe have them operate at the same time/place as regular encampment, like a total encampment with a basic encampment section, an ES section, etc. Focusing on developing a very solid basic encampment focusing on the fundamentals of military leadership, aerospace, PT and some fundamental skills useful in CAP and then going to some other specialized schools later on is better than throwing everything into one pot and reducing the overall quality of the training.
Yes....someone going to encampment would not do everything.   They would choose from a menu of available classes and actvities and plan their week accordingly.

First timers would be in the "Basic Course" hitting all the required subject areas on an encampment.  Returning cadets would have a list of activities and classes to choose from.  GTM, MO, MRO, etc from an ES aspect.   Model Rocketry, RC aircraft, robotics, O-rides etc from a AE aspect.   Leadership labs, public speaking, problem solving, effective writing from a leadership aspect.

Lots and lots of things to do.

The point being.....encampment should offer something for everyone....so the entire unit would go to an encampment every year.   

HGjunkie

That sounds more like a wing conference than an encampment.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

arajca

Quote from: lordmonar on June 26, 2015, 02:16:10 AM

Yes....someone going to encampment would not do everything.   They would choose from a menu of available classes and actvities and plan their week accordingly.

First timers would be in the "Basic Course" hitting all the required subject areas on an encampment.  Returning cadets would have a list of activities and classes to choose from.  GTM, MO, MRO, etc from an ES aspect.   Model Rocketry, RC aircraft, robotics, O-rides etc from a AE aspect.   Leadership labs, public speaking, problem solving, effective writing from a leadership aspect.

The point being.....encampment should offer something for everyone....so the entire unit would go to an encampment every year.
That's great idea. Now, where can such an encampment be held to enable few/several hundred member to take part in each wing every year? That's the kicker.

lordmonar

Well......we don't do it in each wing at first.   We do it regionally and run several sessions all summer long.   

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on June 26, 2015, 02:48:06 AM
Well......we don't do it in each wing at first.   We do it regionally and run several sessions all summer long.
What locations are currently available for this kind of activity? CAWG has had to move/reschedule/cancel their encampment several times due to availability issues.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mitchell 1969

In order to wistfully yearn for a "real encampment" one must first define "real encampment." The definitions vary depending on the person offering the definition and the era from which they glean their recollection.

The encampment commander's greeting from the 1956 CA WG encampment promised an experience duplicating an aviation cadet boot camp lasting 13 days and included jet trainer rides for what would now be Mitchell cadets. (Not that I was old enough to be there, but I know people who were, I've read the greeting and seen the photos of cadet laden T-33's).

But that ain't happenin'.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: lordmonar on June 26, 2015, 02:16:10 AM

+1