Cadet encampment staff

Started by CadetColonelToBe, July 18, 2012, 02:00:03 AM

CadetColonelToBe

I just completed my basic year at encampment July 1st I'm a staff sergeant with the goal of being at least a chief master sergeant by next encampment. I want to be on staff as a flight sergeant, first sergeant, or a flight commander next encampment. Any suggestions on what to do to prepare myself?
Our position on them is that if we're going to train them hard to fly, and then drag them out in the woods to look for potentially serious crashes, then they're not kids anymore, they're Cadets!

Eclipse

Continue your local participation and progression, and look to other large activities where you might serve on staff.

Flt Sgt is a reasonable goal for your next encampment, First Sgt is usually a matter of timing, if you make Chief around the same time, it's possible,
though many encampments want to see more encampment staff experience before appointing someone to First Shirt.

Flight Commander would most likely require you be a Cadet Officer, and local leadership and staff experience will help your applications.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jack172402

I would say flight sergeant first, not only because of experience/rank requirements your wing might have, but also because functioning as flight sergeant will give you a first command experience, thus preparing you better for what comes after.

ol'fido

Quote from: CadetColonelToBe on July 18, 2012, 02:00:03 AM
I just completed my basic year at encampment July 1st I'm a staff sergeant with the goal of being at least a chief master sergeant by next encampment. I want to be on staff as a flight sergeant, first sergeant, or a flight commander next encampment. Any suggestions on what to do to prepare myself?

Does your encampment have an Advanced Training Squadron/Flight? If so, that may be a requirement for serving in a staff position. If not, your best bet is to contact the encampment commander or commandant of cadets for the next year( if you know who that is) and find out what their process is for selecting staff. If they give you that, follow it to the letter. It is the bane of every encampment commander for cadets, staff, parents, unit commanders, etc. who cannot or will not follow the established and published procedures to apply for encampment and staff positions.

In certain circumstances, there may not be enough returning cadets from the advanced training unit to fill all the available positions. The encampment staff may in this instance open the process up to other cadets who have met certain qualifications such as grade, other experience, recommendation of trusted senior or cadet members, etc. who again show that they can follow instructions in the application process. You may be asked to provide a request letter telling why you want the position, a resume of your CAP experience, and a recommendation from your unit commander.

The biggest things in my opinion are:

1)Following the published procedures to apply.

2)Providing all requested information and paperwork.

3)Honoring any commitments you make to the encampment.

If you get a staff position, DO YOUR JOB!

Sent from the Illinois Wing Summer Encampment, Camp Lincoln, Springfield, IL.

Randy L. Mitchell
Lt. Col.   CAP
Deputy Encampment Commander
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

C/2d Lt

For the staff position of flight commander do you have to be a officer by the time of encampment or by the time the application is due. 
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadet on August 04, 2012, 02:43:21 PM
For the staff position of flight commander do you have to be a officer by the time of encampment or by the time the application is due.

It varies by encampment.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on August 04, 2012, 02:53:05 PM
Quote from: Cadet on August 04, 2012, 02:43:21 PM

It varies by encampment.

I would think that if you're really close to your Mitchell and have a letter of endorsement from your DCC that you're on track to get your Mitchell before encampment, then you're good to go. One of our cadets got her Mitchell after the first date of encampment was cancelled and she is a flight commander now.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

AFCadet2011

Out of curiosity, what flight were you in? I was a flight sergeant at the VA Wing Encampment this year.

As for staff positions, I would definitely recommend flight sergeant, if only because it is a bit like an entry-level position, and will give you the experience you need to take on bigger leadership roles in the following years. You can also try for First Sergeant, I know that one First Sergeant this year was on her first year as staff, so if they think you're ready, you may get the position. However, you will almost certainly not get Flight Commander if you are not yet and officer and haven't staffed an encampment before. This year, there were two Flight Commanders that weren't officers, but both of them had been Flight Sergeants before, so they had experience. Even if you do have your mitchell before then, I don't know what your chances will be for Flight Commander if you don't have any experience actually leading a flight yet.

So if I were you, I would try to promote as fast as possible, aim for either Flight Sergeant or First Sergeant, work hard, and try to show that you are capable of leading cadets. See if you can get leadership positions in your squadron. The application opens up in December, so good luck, and hopefully I'll see you at staff selections next year!

CadetColonelToBe

Quote from: AFCadet2011 on August 04, 2012, 05:49:27 PM
Out of curiosity, what flight were you in? I was a flight sergeant at the VA Wing Encampment this year.

As for staff positions, I would definitely recommend flight sergeant, if only because it is a bit like an entry-level position, and will give you the experience you need to take on bigger leadership roles in the following years. You can also try for First Sergeant, I know that one First Sergeant this year was on her first year as staff, so if they think you're ready, you may get the position. However, you will almost certainly not get Flight Commander if you are not yet and officer and haven't staffed an encampment before. This year, there were two Flight Commanders that weren't officers, but both of them had been Flight Sergeants before, so they had experience. Even if you do have your mitchell before then, I don't know what your chances will be for Flight Commander if you don't have any experience actually leading a flight yet.

So if I were you, I would try to promote as fast as possible, aim for either Flight Sergeant or First Sergeant, work hard, and try to show that you are capable of leading cadets. See if you can get leadership positions in your squadron. The application opens up in December, so good luck, and hopefully I'll see you at staff selections next year!
I was in Delta... what flight did you have?
Our position on them is that if we're going to train them hard to fly, and then drag them out in the woods to look for potentially serious crashes, then they're not kids anymore, they're Cadets!

Jon Knapp

FYI, when I was a basic I thought that staff had it easy and couldn't wait to be staff...when I became staff at times I wished I was a basic again.

However, you learn a ton of leadership skills as staff... especially for me staffing my first encampment at Parris Island, SC...working directly with Marine DIs about "how to properly lead a platoon (flight)", etc.
Jonathan D. Knapp, C/1st Lt, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, MER-NC-800

Eclipse

Quote from: Jon Knapp on September 24, 2012, 11:01:20 PM
FYI, when I was a basic I thought that staff had it easy and couldn't wait to be staff...when I became staff at times I wished I was a basic again.

This would be a good t-shirt and is an allegory for life.

The one truism is that you can only be young / a cadet once, and while we want cadets to move up and grow, being in too much of a hurry in both life and CAP probably mean you'll miss some worthwhile experiences along the way.

"That Others May Zoom"

imanzimmer

Having been selected as staff for 3 different encampments, I would say that the biggest thing is to prepare mentally.  Study your manuals ect but the biggest thing is to internalize the things.  Don't just know it but KNOW it.  Once you get used to it, it comes out naturally.  Find out what is your worst at.  Calling drill, knowledge, ect.  Once you find that out, work on that will keeping tabs on the other stuff.  That's my advice, but there is one more thing.  HAVE FUN.  What I mean is, make calling drill, being in CAP environments ect, FUN.  The more fun you have, the more you want to do it, the more you want to internalize it.  Not that having fun is the answer to everything, but having a good attitude is. 

Jon Knapp

Yes I would have to agree with that also...study your manuals...memorize the memory work, try to get to know your executive staff if you are selected...makes things a whole lot easier
Jonathan D. Knapp, C/1st Lt, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, MER-NC-800

imanzimmer

Yes, getting to know your executive staff helps A LOT.  It makes the encampment easier and it makes it easier to take correction also.  If it is possible, get to know your executive staff before the SSE.  For instance, for my last encampment, the CC was from my squadron and the Deputy was my old flight commander.  Not everybody is going to be this lucky but still, get to know your executive staff, before and after.