Phase 3 - mentorship requirement

Started by KentuckyMan, May 17, 2019, 12:33:41 PM

KentuckyMan

Phase 3 has the requirement "Has the cadet mentored?" in the computer for cadet promotion.

My squadron has the usual promotional requirement forms which the cadets must complete and turn in to us.

I have checked CAPR50-7, CAPP60-1, CAPVA60-100, CAPVA60-101, and the CAP web pages outlining promotion requirements for more information.
I am looking for specifically a short (3 sentence or less) description of what fulfills that Phase 3 mentorship requirement is so that it can be added to our promotion form.
There are a lot of subjective examples out there of what mentorship is, but I need to "lock it down" to put in on the promotion forms as a requirement.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: KentuckyMan on May 17, 2019, 12:33:41 PM
Phase 3 has the requirement "Has the cadet mentored?" in the computer for cadet promotion.

My squadron has the usual promotional requirement forms which the cadets must complete and turn in to us.

I have checked CAPR50-7, CAPP60-1, CAPVA60-100, CAPVA60-101, and the CAP web pages outlining promotion requirements for more information.
I am looking for specifically a short (3 sentence or less) description of what fulfills that Phase 3 mentorship requirement is so that it can be added to our promotion form.
There are a lot of subjective examples out there of what mentorship is, but I need to "lock it down" to put in on the promotion forms as a requirement.

Okay, let's back it up just a bit since you're somewhat backwards here...

CAPR 60-1 is the standard for maintaining a cadet program.

1.6.3 — CAP develops leadership skills in cadets by giving them opportunities to lead. This includes planning events, making decisions, and teaching and mentoring junior-ranking cadets, commensurate with their developmental progress and grade. The cadets' grade structure and military style chain of command reinforces this leadership concept. Every activity should allow cadets opportunities to lead, under adult leader supervision.

1.9.1.2 — ranking cadets acting as mentors and instructors help cadets develop their leadership potential

This would be you, right?

Go to the CAPF 60-93 Cadet Leadership Feedback (Phase III):
  • Fair, just, and consistent in dealing with subordinates; exercises good judgment in knowing which matters should be referred up the chain
  • Actively mentors NCOs; resolves conflicts fairly; criticizes constructively; dissents respectfully when disagreeing with superiors
  • Delegates routine tasks effectively and works through NCOs; keeps people informed; makes expectations clear; supervises work of other leaders

CAPR 50-17 doesn't apply to you. That's senior member professional development.

Promotions aren't just a check the box thing. They're extremely subjective. That's why guidance exists, but it's not set in stone (aside from eligibility requirements such as testing and time in grade). This is why review boards include multiple people, so you can get a variety of opinions and different perspectives.

I'm not so sure I'm understanding what you're trying to lock down on a "promotion form" when the F60-90 series already exists.

There's a difference between critiquing someone toward a promotion and critiquing performance during a specific event.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 17, 2019, 01:32:52 PM
I'm not so sure I'm understanding what you're trying to lock down on a "promotion form" when the F60-90 series already exists.

+1 Reinventing the wheel is verboten by design and everything a unit needs already exists.

It's a "yes / no" question, subjective to the approving authority. Answer it and move on.

men·tor
/ˈmenˌtôr,ˈmenˌtər/
noun
1. an experienced and trusted adviser.
"he was her friend and mentor until his death in 1915"
synonyms:   adviser, guide, confidant, confidante, counselor, consultant, therapist; More
verb
1. advise or train (someone, especially a younger colleague).

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Hi KentuckyMan.

Regarding the forms... as of today, on the capmembers.com page which hosts all approved Supplements, the following is listed for Kentucky:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/members/publications/approved-supplements-and-ois-by-region/great-lakes-region-supplements-and-ois
"Kentucky
R173-1 29 Oct 18 Financial Management Procedures Supplement 1 KY-001"
That means, there are zero approved Supplements to CAPR 60-1 Cadet Programs in your Wing to authorize your use of a new, local, or additional form, if that's what you're working on. So, don't do that if so and stop the well meaning but ignorant from doing so as well... stick with the program as authorized...

Regarding your original question... here's some official CAP guidance on Mentoring to help you:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/members/publications/pamphlets-1702
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P050_007_CED2A62F71379.pdf
CAPP50-8 of 19 Apr 13, Civil Air Patrol Mentor's Guide

While it on the surface (first few pages) looks like a senior member only pamphlet, keep reading. It does offer some really useful pointers to help lock down what you're looking for (and it does use cadet examples).

Best,
Spam

KentuckyMan

Thank you to everyone for the replies.