Vanguard "Government Accounts"

Started by hfriday, October 26, 2018, 11:48:28 AM

hfriday

I just signed up for an account with Vanguard, after checking out as "Guest" a few times.

It offered me the option to request a "government account," which required verification of a sort not specified.

As the USAF Auxiliary and a Congressionally-chartered corporation, I don't suppose we could at least get the small luxury of tax-free Vanguard shopping, by any chance? Or does that require active-duty status? It's only a couple of bucks either way, but any discount is worth having when setting up a flight jacket for the upcoming winter!

Thanks, folks!...

abdsp51

Vanguard puts out a monthly discount code for use. 

Eclipse

You have to pay with a GPC or IMPAC to qualify.

"That Others May Zoom"

hfriday

Yes, I'm familiar with the 10-15% coupon codes that the issue, and they definitely help, abdsp51. I was just wondering if I was overlooking an additional discount.

Thanks for the info, Eclipse - I'm definitely not using that, so that seems to solve the mystery.

Now for the eternal question: do I order now or wait and see if November happens to be a 15% month...

Fubar

Although we have government and military affiliations, we are a non-profit 501(c)3 corporation when it comes to a legal definition. It doesn't hurt to ask though, especially if it boils down to vendors deciding who to give discounts to based upon something other than legal definitions!

For example, we've had vendors give CAP discounts because they felt our work in SAR put us under the umbrella of "Public Safety" while other vendors have said without a badge, hose, or stethoscope, you don't qualify. So it never hurts to respectfully ask.

Vanguard is 100% aware of who and what we are and I don't recall them ever giving us a discount that wasn't available to all their other customers. I suspect when it comes to taxes, our legal definition comes more into play limiting what they can do for us.

CFToaster

Quote from: Fubar on October 26, 2018, 07:58:09 PM
without a badge, hose, or stethoscope, you don't qualify.

I have a stethoscope AND a CAP polo! Is that better or worse?

(Yes, I know CAP isn't a healthcare provider (CAPR 160-1 1.6.a) blah, blah, blah.)

SarDragon

Are you speaking of a discount(reduction of the selling price) or a sales tax exemption? There's a difference. As noted, there are different discounts offered by Vanguard to those folks who get the appropriate code(s).

As for the sales tax exemption, folks living in CA and VA are pretty much resigned to paying sales tax, since Vanguard has a physical presence in those states. Any exemptions need to be justified and documented, and the vendor must agree to accept it. Here in CAWG, we have an exemption form, but many places are reluctant to accept it because of the extra paperwork they need to do.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Lem

Greetings
Actually Vanguard can  set up a squadron account and if your wing is tax exempt  then Vanguard can honor that for your squadron.
VA. wing is state tax exempt so Vanguard honors that status
If your wing is tax exempt I encourage you to get a copy of your tax exempt number or form and keep a copy in you CAP vehicles especially when you need service or to buy supplies for your vehicle or squadron 

Eclipse

What wing isn't tax exempt?  CAP is a 501c(3).

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on October 30, 2018, 01:40:36 AM
What wing isn't tax exempt?  CAP is a 501c(3).

The wings that don't have a tax exemption number from their state taxing authority if their state has sales tax.
You don't get the exemption just because you're a 501c(3), you have to apply for it.