Main Menu

Multiband compliant radio?

Started by wuzafuzz, July 02, 2009, 09:30:07 PM

wuzafuzz

I want one of these radios!  I don't want to pay for it, but I want it...  ;D
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/43196

Sure would be handy for those of us who use CAP channels and state trunked channels, as well as other mutual aid channels.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

arajca

Drool Rags! Get your Drool Rags! ;D

ZigZag911

OK, I'm impressed!

Of course, it will be decades (minimally) before we get near one...heck, it'll probably take at least ten years to start getting them into general distribution to folks that might really need them more than we do (FBI, NYPD, FDNY, all 50 state police, 1st AF, etc).

arajca

I think it may only be a year of two before they're at the point CAP can get them. But for folks using a variety of systems, 800Mhz digital trunking radios currently run $3000+. So for an extra grand (or so) you get to reduce the number of radios carried.

A side note, if a significant number of organizations start getting these, other radios that will work for CAP will become available on the used markets...

wuzafuzz

Quote from: arajca on July 03, 2009, 02:06:22 PM
I think it may only be a year of two before they're at the point CAP can get them. But for folks using a variety of systems, 800Mhz digital trunking radios currently run $3000+. So for an extra grand (or so) you get to reduce the number of radios carried.

My first 4 or so cars didn't cost that much combined!   :o

Programming those Liberty radios must be quite a chore.  Analog and digital, wide and narrow band, possibly multiple trunked systems.  It sure beats having a few radios though, something hams have known for some time.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

SltWaterDrinker

I hate to bump,
but Motorola is coming out with a brand spanking new radio that covers 136-174 and 700-800 Mhz-its called the APX7000...and the radio has two sides...kind of silly looking.
http://business.motorola.com/publicsafety/apx/index.html
^The website has a catchy beat///and a pretty fantastic looking introduction video as well. Too bad they didn't put us in there...haha. :)
Thanks and 73s,

C/Lt. Col Josh Williams
NER-NJ-092
Twin Pine Composite Squadron
Mercer County, New Jersey

arajca

There are actually a few multiband public safety radios coming out. DHS is evaluating them to see if they will meet interoperability grant requirements and for oerational effectiveness. From what I've read, they will, since the manufacturers know that almost anyone buying these radios will be using interop grants.

One drawback is if an incident is using multiple bands, you could end up doing alot of channel changing.

Airrace

Thanks for all the information. It will be helpful in purchasing a radio in the next few months.