Main Menu

Disguise antennas for CAP

Started by wuzafuzz, January 09, 2009, 10:30:25 PM

wuzafuzz

Some of you, like me, probably live in HOA's with antenna restrictions.  If anyone has experience using hidden or disguise antennas for CAP radios at their home, please share.  VHF and HF.

I've considered a Ventenna, but they don't seem to cover the necessary bandwidth. (I worked my way onto the HOA board  ;D but can't totally change the rules.)

Share your ideas and even photos of crafty installs!

"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Major Lord

I found an antenna that looks like two slinkies, and it worked pretty well in my attic for HF. Totally covert. I don't have room in my yard for a big-ticket tower, but I do have room for a vertical. I will probably attach U.S. Colors to the top. I have to confess my roof top VHF antenna is a Radio Shack ground plane hiding on the leeward side of my Chimney. I plan on buying and installing one of those MFJ verticals that covers HF to VHF and makes your house look like the soviet embassy.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

MIKE

Dipole.  I'm thinking one you can string up in the attic or pull double duty as a clothesline.  Maybe run some plants up it.
Mike Johnston

Gunner C

Quote from: MIKE on January 09, 2009, 11:20:12 PM
Dipole.  I'm thinking one you can string up in the attic or pull double duty as a clothesline.  Maybe run some plants up it.

That would be interesting if someone puts wet wash on it during the local HF net!

[singing] You light up my wife [/singing]  :D

desertengineer1

Eric,

Tomorrow I'll take a picture of mine and post it here.  I think you'll like. 

IceNine

Quote from: Major Lord on January 09, 2009, 10:54:13 PM
I found an antenna that looks like two slinkies, and it worked pretty well in my attic for HF. Totally covert. I don't have room in my yard for a big-ticket tower, but I do have room for a vertical. I will probably attach U.S. Colors to the top. I have to confess my roof top VHF antenna is a Radio Shack ground plane hiding on the leeward side of my Chimney. I plan on buying and installing one of those MFJ verticals that covers HF to VHF and makes your house look like the soviet embassy.

Major Lord

Pic or link?  I'd be interested in putting an antenna in my attic
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Chief2009

Talk to the ham radio guys in your area about this. They usually have some pretty ingenious ideas.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

Major Lord

Quote from: IceNine on January 10, 2009, 01:19:14 AM
Quote from: Major Lord on January 09, 2009, 10:54:13 PM

Major Lord

Pic or link?  I'd be interested in putting an antenna in my attic

I found one on E-Bay that looks about the same as mine, but seems a little improved. Mine was more bailing wire/bubble gummish....but it worked.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEALTH-SLINKY-DIPOLE-HF-SWL-HAM-ANTENNA_W0QQitemZ320330068996QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item320330068996&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

If the link is FUBARD, just go to E-Bay and type "HF antenna" good luck!

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

IceNine

Heh, I'm fairly certain that actually <IS> a slinky

Thanks for the link

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Dirtman

start with this book

http://www.amazon.com/Low-Profile-Amateur-Radio-Publication/dp/0872594114

It has good info in it, you can set up a loop or folded dipole in you attic if you have room, or set up a loop on/around the eves of your house.  VHF is pretty simple as far as a J pole or ground plane in the attic.  Lots of guys around here run in attic antennas for use during storm season to avoid taking a direct hit from lightening vs their outside towers and long wires.

There was also a good article or two in one of the recent issues of QST about in attic antennas.  Give that a look also 

Getting ready to build our wing CV an in attic setup for VHF and HF.  He just moved into a "no outside antenna" covenant. 

Another idea is the HamStick dipole.  Do a web search, but it is two Hamstick whip antennas connected together to make what looks like a dipole.  I use these when camping and I don't have trees or room for a full sized dipole.  Buy the ones for 80mtrs with the adapter, get an antenna analyzer and trim them to the HF channel you wish, total length of the antenna for CAP HF work on mine is about 15 ft.  That will fit into about any attic.  Again a tuner will be needed in some cases. 

BTW you will need a tuner for a lot of the antennas you will find on the web and in that book.

JoeTomasone

I work the local VHF repeater with a j-pole in the window on the first floor.   

For HF, I have a dipole laying on the roof.  Not grand, but with a tuner it gets the job done.   

JAFO78

Down here in FL, Disney has all their cell towers look like trees. EZ to tell cause the "tree" is higher then all the rest, but at lest they try. I wish I could post a photo, but don't have one, don't know how.
JAFO

Dirtman

JAFO78

Yea that's like it but with Disney, you'd swear it was a tree. They are good at hiding things behind landscaping.
JAFO

IceNine

I can't find much on radiation patterns maybe someone here will have some advice.

Peak of my roof runs North to South and is 40ft long.  The house is only 26 ft wide. 

I am almost geographically dead center in Illinois and a great deal of my HF work will be to the north of me.

Would I have much luck running the antenna along the peak, or possibly diagonally from corner to corner.

Or should I look at something completely different?  I see a lot of square and diamond loop designs but no
radiation patterns to help me decide.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

addo1

Quote from: Rob Goodman on January 10, 2009, 09:20:06 PM
Yea that's like it but with Disney, you'd swear it was a tree. They are good at hiding things behind landscaping.

Yeah, I know what you mean.. When I was there awile back, we would go around trying to count how many we could find... :)
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

desertengineer1

Can you see the antennas? 

desertengineer1

Here's what's really there.  You have to look really close to see the outside HF.

Red = main radiator.  Green = Ground plane / radial.  Blue = Ground Rod. 

The distances are rough.  The tuner is fed with Andrew LDF4-50 Heliax.  Altogether, HF gets really good coverage in ALE and SSB.

IceNine

Low light, NO FAIR!!

Nicely done by the way

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

desertengineer1

Quote from: IceNine on January 10, 2009, 11:56:52 PM
Low light, NO FAIR!!

Nicely done by the way

Unfortunately, I work 7 days a week and don't see home in any other light  :)

The VHF is obviously in the attic, perched under the peak of the roof frame.

I get EXCELLENT coverage of the Southeast Region nets.

For you comm folks, this is the "Oil Well" station.

Cheers,

James