Main Menu

mobile file access

Started by Woodsy, July 27, 2012, 03:31:12 AM

Woodsy

Just a tip for those of us on the go...

If you need access to regs, forms, or anything else on the go, you can use a program such as dropbox or google drive to store your files in the "cloud" for free.  Both programs have free apps available for smart phones and tablets so you can pull up what you need anywhere you are (so long as you have cell data service.)

Personally, I keep all NHQ regs, pubs and forms, all wing sups, OI's, etc, contact info for every member in my wing, job-specific stuff, working files, and anything else I need.  I can then pull it up on any computer with internet access or on my smart phone / tablet.

They also allow you to "share" a specific file with someone by entering their email address, that sends them a link where they can view it.  For example, I just uploaded about 200 pics and "shared" with another member.  They then downloaded them and I deleted the file so it didn't eat up my free storage space.  Sure beats sending pics via email 5 at a time if you have a large quantity to send.

Just a tool I find useful, hope it can help you. 

EMT-83

NHQ regulations, forms and publications are already available on the "cloud", no need to copy them somewhere else and worry about keeping current.

starshippe

just checked this site out, they will give u a tbyte of memory. apparently there is some form of backup routine available also, but i can't download it onto my work desktop and peruse further.
   i will check further using my laptop at home.
   i can think of several uses for this, thanks.

bill

Woodsy

Quote from: EMT-83 on July 27, 2012, 12:02:32 PM
NHQ regulations, forms and publications are already available on the "cloud", no need to copy them somewhere else and worry about keeping current.

Are they available via a smartphone app to be pulled up from anywhere, as was the point of these programs? Not that I know of...  (though I strongly believe NHQ should look into an app...)

Anyways, the point here is that it allows you to easily pull up files from anywhere.

Eclipse

Quote from: Woodsy on July 27, 2012, 05:43:11 PMAre they available via a smartphone app to be pulled up from anywhere, as was the point of these programs?

Yes.  It's called a "web browser".

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

That (at least for me) isn't as easy.

It also doesn't allow you to store and access your own files. 

Eclipse

All smartphones and tablets allow you to download and store content locally.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on July 27, 2012, 07:42:59 PM

True, but how much would depend on the storage capability of the device.  Personally, I only have 2 gigs, which doesn't leave much room for CAP stuff.

davidsinn

Quote from: Woodsy on July 27, 2012, 10:05:57 PM

True, but how much would depend on the storage capability of the device.  Personally, I only have 2 gigs, which doesn't leave much room for CAP stuff.

Get a bigger SD card. If your phone doesn't have an SD port, get a real smart phone. I have nearly all of my CAP files on my phone. Several gigs worth in fact. I also have several hours of high bitrate mp3s for listening to at work and still have space left on my card.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Shotgun

As Admin and Personnel Officer I set up a paperless file system for my unit(s) using Dropbox.

I created a folder in my Dropbox directory which is shared with the CC, CDC, and CDS.
Inside that folder are additional folders for each functional area using the file plan specified in CAPR 10-2.

All existing paper records were scanned into PDF's and filed accordingly.
New paper documents such as certificates documents returned from NHQ or also scanned
%95 of all new documents (CAPF 2as, CAPF 24s, CAPF 120s, Participation Letters, etc) are created and "signed" digital and saved into the members digital personnel file without ever being printed.

We also use SIMS (Squadron Information Management System) to keep track each members meeting attendance, ribbons and awards, PT scores, Emergency Info, etc. SIMS is also used SIMS to generate many forms for the membership such as CAPF 45s CAPF 50s, CAPF 60s as well as an report you can imagine.

Using drop box the "files" are securely distributed among many different computers, available via a secure website, and accessible to those who need them at any time.

Despite the fact that copies exist on several computers, I still copy the folder over to a thumb drive every couple of weeks depending on the amount of paperwork generated.

It's a great system and makes handling the paperwork a cinch!

Eclipse

All the more reason not to replicate stuff which is already posted on the web elsewhere.  I'm a big proponent of GDrive (paying customer!) & Dropbox, but the way the clients work, only files you explicitly download are loaded onto the mobile devices, so if you have access to the cloud, you have access to NHQ forms.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on July 27, 2012, 10:20:12 PMIf your phone doesn't have an SD port, get a real smart phone.

I don't think anyone is still manufacturing mobile devices without SD cards, are they?

Seriously, the next thing you'll try to tell me is that someone still makes a device without a swap-able battery.

No SD, no local file system, and a single, permanent battery? 

Yeah, right.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

YGBSM!

I just downloaded and unzipped ALL of the regs, pamphlets, and ICLS, and they only consume 46 megabytes. You must have a lot of other crap on your card that you can't fit only the pubs you really need.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

QuoteI don't think anyone is still manufacturing mobile devices without SD cards, are they?
See: Apple devices, lots of android phones.

QuoteIf your phone doesn't have an SD port, get a real smart phone.
Yeah, not everyone can drop the dough and buy a brand new phone. Sorry. Besides, lots of android phones don't. Look at the Galaxy Nexus.

Quote from: Eclipse on July 27, 2012, 06:03:56 PM
Quote from: Woodsy on July 27, 2012, 05:43:11 PMAre they available via a smartphone app to be pulled up from anywhere, as was the point of these programs?

Yes.  It's called a "web browser".
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2012, 04:10:38 AM

All the more reason not to replicate stuff which is already posted on the web elsewhere.  I'm a big proponent of GDrive (paying customer!) & Dropbox, but the way the clients work, only files you explicitly download are loaded onto the mobile devices, so if you have access to the cloud, you have access to NHQ forms.

My point here barely included NHQ forms and regs...  Mostly, I was trying to share a method of storing and sharing working files, at any level! 

If all you ever have to deal with are NHQ forms and pubs, then...  I want your job!!!

(I know that is not the case with you, Sir, just saying!)

Woodsy

Quote from: SarDragon on July 28, 2012, 04:24:04 AM

YGBSM!

I just downloaded and unzipped ALL of the regs, pamphlets, and ICLS, and they only consume 46 megabytes. You must have a lot of other crap on your card that you can't fit only the pubs you really need.

Yes Sir, I do know quite a few cute girls, as well as extended family members of whom I have photos and videos stored... 

I also have a life outside of CAP...

I believe you missed my point here...  It's not just about the NHQ regs, it is about sharing any files with anyone, anywhere, anytime. 

Call it an "old guard" or "new guard" issue if you wish...  CAP as a whole has to catch up with the times.  Docs are not stored locally anymore.  That's just the way things are.

Critical AOA

There's an app for that.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2012, 04:30:31 PM
Quote from: Woodsy on July 28, 2012, 07:13:06 AM
I also have a life outside of CAP...

...slacker
haha...  I had better edit that before the boss see it and assigns me an extra position...   ::)

starshippe

well i thought they were gonna give me a tbyte, but i guess not. looks like i have 2 gb to play with. just starting to check it out but does look like a good way to share training presentations etc.

thanks,
bill