CAPR 70-1, 4 Dec 2017

Started by Eclipse, November 09, 2017, 12:17:21 AM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

So lets start a pool. How long will it be before Google doesn't have a link to the old CAPR 60-1 any more? How long until the old docs are taken down on the CAP main website and squadron sites, so new members will not stumble across them and get all confused?

My money is on January 2024 at the earliest. ;)

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

FAQ published: https://www.capnhq.gov/news/news30Nov17.htm

Document has no date, source information, and was posted as a .docx.

Some of the "questions" are amusing, almost certainly sent in by people who
post here, and did not receive the answer they'd hoped for.

In particular, an issue that has been a problem for a long time is
closed without ambiguity (but will still most likely be ignored).

"Q:   Paragraph 9.4.8 implies (with the few exceptions noted) that no one can "operate" a CAP aircraft other than a qualified CAP pilot. If I interpret this strictly, then a a member who is a pilot but not a CAP qualified can't take the controls of the aircraft, while the CAP pilot performs other tasks (ex: radio troubleshooting).

A:   CAP exercises due diligence when deciding who should operate their aircraft.  This process requires presentation and validation of certain documents as set forth in statute/regulation, as well as evaluation to its guidance/standards.  One's personal knowledge cannot substitute for the corporation's due diligence and would not be accepted as such by the FAA, an insurance carrier, or a court of law.  If the pilot desires to exercise the privileges of a CAP pilot, they must participate in those tasks established to support CAP's due diligence.  Proper risk management would suggest that the qualified CAP pilot fly the aircraft while the other CAP member performs any non-flying tasks under their direction, if required."

TL:DR - If you're not a qualified CAP pilot, you're not to be flying the plane.
No more non-qual'ed Observers flying from the right seat.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on December 02, 2017, 08:00:57 PM

TL:DR - If you're not a qualified CAP pilot, you're not to be flying the plane.
No more non-qual'ed Observers flying from the right seat.

The exception being O'Ride flights?

Eclipse

"Handling" or "operating" the controls is not the same as "flying the plane".

O-rides are intended to be primarily demonstrations, not flight instruction, and
the PIC is certainly not going to hand over control of the aircraft to a cadet while
he tries to figure out the radio stack, etc..

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

I have some pretty strong concerns about documenting Form 5 failures in the WMIRS CAPF104. WMIRS has pretty wide access. Members failing anything, especially a flight evaluation, deserve more privacy than to have the particulars of that failure documented in a system which most members can access on-demand.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 03, 2017, 01:23:29 AM
I have some pretty strong concerns about documenting Form 5 failures in the WMIRS CAPF104. WMIRS has pretty wide access. Members failing anything, especially a flight evaluation, deserve more privacy than to have the particulars of that failure documented in a system which most members can access on-demand.

Um, why?  If they bounce the 5, everyone knows anyway, because they aren't flying.

I can't imagine anyone being that concerned about a CAP checkride.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on December 03, 2017, 02:56:30 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 03, 2017, 01:23:29 AM

Um, why?  If they bounce the 5, everyone knows anyway, because they aren't flying.

I can't imagine anyone being that concerned about a CAP checkride.

Encouraging negative performance information about an individual member to be placed in a widely-accessible location is not doing the right thing for the member (as much as it is our job as commanders to do the right thing for the organization, it's just as important to do the right thing for our members). Your argument is akin to saying that it should be OK for me to leave a CAPF 50 sustaining a cadet in grade on the table in the high-traffic (including cadet traffic) senior office. Everyone knows that Cadet Snuffy didn't promote this month, so why bother? That's not doing the right thing for that member, and neither is this.

Eclipse

Cadet Snuffy's grade doesn't put others at risk.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on December 03, 2017, 04:14:12 AM
Cadet Snuffy's grade doesn't put others at risk.

What does that matter? Praise in public, scold in private. That's leadership 101. Or have we given up on even the basics of leadership and resigned ourselves to the slow frustrating slide down the retention chart?

Thankfully, initial F5 fails don't require this same documentation. Recurrent fails are pretty rare too, but they probably happen somewhere.

Members absolutely have the right to know that their pilot has met the objective standards that CAP and the Air Force have set out. If the pilot flies CAP planes (and the flight is properly released), he has. If he doesn't, he hasn't. The particulars don't matter and shouldn't be public record.

The purpose of the rule wasn't to let others know about the pilot's issues anyways. The purpose was to document them so the appropriate personnel can prepare a plan to fix the issue.

RiverAux

I very much doubt that there are any CAP members out there trolling through 104s of flights they weren't on looking to see what happened. 

That being said, I'm not sure I see any benefit to having that information there either. 

Live2Learn

Quote from: RiverAux on December 03, 2017, 12:49:10 PM
That being said, I'm not sure I see any benefit to having that information there either.

Ok, so let's post driving infractions, PPI, medical issues, etc. for example.  I agree with RiverAus' and Spaceman's assessment.  All CAP  flights require a flight release.  Before each and every mission an FRO must, among othe duties,  confirm the pilot is approprately rated and has required CAP credentials.  There is no need, nor any positive benefit for embarassing ANYONE, CAP SM or Cadet in front of their peers and within their units.

Eclipse

The reg is effective today for those flying, etc., including the new expectations for FROs.

The test and presentations were available yesterday in LMS.

"That Others May Zoom"

Live2Learn

Quote from: Eclipse on December 04, 2017, 02:11:32 PM
The reg is effective today for those flying, etc., including the new expectations for FROs.

The test and presentations were available yesterday in LMS.

Some of the questions in the "FAQ" are interesting:

Through the link on eServices:   https://www.capnhq.gov/news/news30Nov17.htm

May work... direct link:  https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAPR_701_Questions_and_Answers_7DE35450373CA.docx

Eclipse

^^ This is already in this thread about 4 messages up.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Interesting that IFR basic minimums that were already raised to 500 feet about a year ago or so, are now being raised to 800 feet. Have I missed a few new accident reports that precipitated this?

PHall

Quote from: etodd on December 05, 2017, 04:30:50 AM
Interesting that IFR basic minimums that were already raised to 500 feet about a year ago or so, are now being raised to 800 feet. Have I missed a few new accident reports that precipitated this?

Why does it have to be an accident that caused this? Maybe they did an ORM exercise and decided that the 500 foot limit, with the pilots we have, was too much of a risk so they mitigated the hazard by raising the limit to 800 feet.

jeders

Quote from: etodd on December 05, 2017, 04:30:50 AM

Actually it's not. A regular FRO can release a flight that is 800 and 2, a senior FRO is needed for a flight that is down to 500 feet, and a senior FRO with concurrence of the wing CC or DO can release a flight down to FAA minimums. So it's actually less restrictive, you just have to talk to a few more people and have a legitimately sound and safe plan.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Live2Learn

Quote from: Eclipse on December 05, 2017, 03:45:28 AM
^^ This is already in this thread about 4 messages up.

I think you meant "twelve".  Oh well, better to see something (clearly identified as FAQ) twice, than not at all.  :)

drhornii

This is being discussed in my wing:

9.4.14. CAP Solo Pilots may not perform touch and go landings unless flying with a CAP Instructor. See paragraph 9.9.5.1.4.3 for additional touch and go landing limitations.

Attachment 2

CAP Solo Pilot – A CAP member who holds either a student pilot certificate or is a rated pilot, is endorsed by a CAP Instructor Pilot, and is authorized in accordance with this regulation to perform solo flights in CAP aircraft.

Is a "rated" any private pilot and is the solo pilot only a cadet?