ICS and Joint Operations

Started by Hawk200, January 25, 2007, 07:52:51 PM

Hawk200

Been taking the ICS courses from FEMA, and have found them rather interesting. One thing that I have been thinking about is opportunities to practice the ICS in some Joint Excercises. Just out of curiousity, what do the folks here think about doing joint excercises with the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Do they follow ICS now too?

There's a CG Auxie unit just a few miles away, and I was considering talking to them. Opinions?

sandman

CG AUX is required to take IS-100, 200, 700, and 800 in order to hold office and participate in operations (surface and air).

Talking to CG AUX will get you an invite to join the unit if your so inclined. AUX air operations are few and far between in reality it seems. Here on the left coast, Aux air has been asked to stand down for awhile (however, correct me if I'm wrong).

Aux air will focus on SAR over waterways inland, but does not have a ground team per-se. What would be the focus of your joint operations?
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

Hawk200

Quote from: sandman on January 25, 2007, 09:11:48 PM
CG AUX is required to take IS-100, 200, 700, and 800 in order to hold office and participate in operations (surface and air).

That's good news, at least we're on the same page.

Talking to CG AUX will get you an invite to join the unit if your so inclined. AUX air operations are few and far between in reality it seems. Here on the left coast, Aux air has been asked to stand down for awhile (however, correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm curious about their program, so it would be something to consider.

Aux air will focus on SAR over waterways inland, but does not have a ground team per-se. What would be the focus of your joint operations?

I guess a scenario involving finding someone that could be lost on the lake, with the potential to field a ground team to find them on shore. I don't know, really, I just figured a good way to practice ICS is to do it with another organization that also does it.

I don't really know an "optimal" mission to include both of us, I figured someone here would. To be good practice, it would have to be something accurate, not just an unlikely made up scenario. I'm new at this, so I'm looking for some answers among those that have done it for awhile.

ZigZag911

NER units have done some joint work with CG AUX (and occasionally even CG!) over the years....sometimes exercises, almost as often actual missions....being the 'right coast', we've got plenty of water due east!

CG is a delight to work with; AUX is like CAP, a lot depends on what unit you link up with....if it's an exercise, the likelihood is that any AUX unit willing to work with CAP is going to be pretty good (much as with us, the real professionals recognize that no one knows everything)

RiverAux

floridacyclist

Our Ranger school exercise was a joint op with the primary participants being us and two Fire Depts with support from EMS and a local Medevac chopper company. The senior fire chief was tagged as Medical Unit Leader and was responsible for helping us with any injuries as well as transferring to ops in the event of a find

Great practice for real-world ICS training.

Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Hawk200

Quote from: floridacyclist on January 26, 2007, 04:31:16 AM
Our Ranger school exercise was a joint op with the primary participants being us and two Fire Depts with support from EMS and a local Medevac chopper company. The senior fire chief was tagged as Medical Unit Leader and was responsible for helping us with any injuries as well as transferring to ops in the event of a find

Great practice for real-world ICS training.

Actually, a pretty good idea, and more inline with the idea of ICS. Maybe I'll check around with the local EMS units, and maybe talk to the flight for life guys. I guess I shouldn't be limiting us to just military type organizations.