CAP Officer Basic Course - Launching announced

Started by Chappie, December 08, 2009, 10:38:59 PM

MikeD

The "Submit by email" button also didn't work for me.   I'm guessing that I'll at best in the Feb class.  Does anyone know why they limited the class size, given that it's online?  Especially with the backlog of people waiting to complete this requirement to make it to Capt?

Eclipse

They have a limited number of licenses for BlackBoard.

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

Quote from: MikeD on December 11, 2009, 10:15:55 PM
The "Submit by email" button also didn't work for me.....

By comparing notes with other members, we sort of found out that if you have Adobe Acrobat then the "Submit by email" will work just fine. However, it will not work if you only have Adobe Acrobat Reader. Hopefully the issue will be rectified soon by national.

exFlight Officer

Quote from: Flint on December 11, 2009, 04:44:51 PM
I heard back last night.  I got in for 15 February.  Ah well,  as long as I get it done so I could be promoted at Wing Conference I'm happy.

How long did it take you to hear back?

Quote from: vento on December 11, 2009, 10:42:05 PM

By comparing notes with other members, we sort of found out that if you have Adobe Acrobat then the "Submit by email" will work just fine. However, it will not work if you only have Adobe Acrobat Reader. Hopefully the issue will be rectified soon by national.

If my computer does not have Adobe Acrobat, how do I get it ?

I hit the submit by email button and it brought up a screen to send an email but nothing was in the email section .. just the name of where it will be sent. I hit the send button.  Did this happen with anyone else or did I do something wrong? Forgive my knowledge with this stuff. I am normally ok with computers.

vento

Quote from: Flight Officer on December 12, 2009, 12:15:15 AM

While Adobe Acrobat Reader is a free program, Adobe Acrobat is not. Amazon charges $236.49 for a copy link here

We think there must be a glitch with the NHQ's formatting on the application form. When done correctly, it should be able to work with just the Reader instead of the full program. So far, none of the application bounced for people with Acrobat, but all bounced for people with only the Reader. That's why we are speculating...

davidsinn

I have Acrobat 7 and it does not work with that.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Angus

Quote from: Flight Officer on December 12, 2009, 12:15:15 AM
Quote from: Flint on December 11, 2009, 04:44:51 PM
I heard back last night.  I got in for 15 February.  Ah well,  as long as I get it done so I could be promoted at Wing Conference I'm happy.

How long did it take you to hear back?

I hit the submit by email button and it brought up a screen to send an email but nothing was in the email section .. just the name of where it will be sent. I hit the send button.  Did this happen with anyone else or did I do something wrong? Forgive my knowledge with this stuff. I am normally ok with computers.

I sent the application in on Wed.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Camas

Quote from: vento on December 11, 2009, 08:32:05 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on December 11, 2009, 08:13:16 PM
If your already a Capt based on being a Sq Commander, do you still need to take it?
Yes, if you want to be promoted to Major. Level II is an embedded requirement.

Sorry but true - you gotta complete all requirements for both Level II and Level III along with completing the time-in-grade requirement for major.

helper

When the "Submit by email" button didn't work, I cut'n pasted the content into an email with an explanation. I'm in for Feb so I guess that they know about the problem.
Mitchell (pre-number) & Earhart (2144)

brenaud

Quote from: helper on December 12, 2009, 04:45:33 AM
When the "Submit by email" button didn't work, I cut'n pasted the content into an email with an explanation. I'm in for Feb so I guess that they know about the problem.

I would like to have seen this done as an 'application' in e-Services.  It'd be able to automatically fill in everything except the statement of understanding (nearly one-click enrollment), and would be somewhat software-agnostic.  (Mind you, many things in e-Services indicate they require IE but I've had near 100% success with Firefox).  Oh, well.  We'll go with what we've got.
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699

rroberts

How did people find out what date they got?  I submitted the form via Acrobat email (I have the full version) as soon as I got the message online (Wednesday).
I don't believe I have seen anything from CAP as to what date I have received....

Bob Roberts

MikeD

Quote from: Eclipse on December 11, 2009, 10:35:00 PM
They have a limited number of licenses for BlackBoard.

http://www.humboldt.edu/~jdv1/moodle/all.htm  Moodle looks good, and http://www.linuxbox.com/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=bb2moodle converts from BB to Moodle.  http://dotlrn.org/ is another good alternative.  (Hopes someone from NHQ IT reads this).

exFlight Officer

Quote from: rroberts on December 14, 2009, 05:50:57 AM
How did people find out what date they got?  I submitted the form via Acrobat email (I have the full version) as soon as I got the message online (Wednesday).
I don't believe I have seen anything from CAP as to what date I have received....

Bob Roberts

+ 1 

?????

Thom

Bob Roberts

Once you are admitted to a cohort, you will receive an email from Ron Olienyk at NHQ telling you when you will be taking the course.  I know emails have been sent to the January 1 cohort, I'm not sure if they have yet sent emails to those who ended up in later cohorts.

Check your 'Spam' folder and make sure that you don't have an acceptance email mis-filed.

Thom

rroberts

I got the email from Ron today.  April 1st.  Amazed the first two cohorts filled up in the day or two since an announcement.

Looking forward to the course.

Rotorhead

Quote from: helper on December 12, 2009, 04:45:33 AM

I printed, scanned, attached to email. that worked.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Rotorhead

Bob Roberts

Got an email with the date.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Nick

Quote from: MikeD on December 14, 2009, 05:55:50 AM
http://www.humboldt.edu/~jdv1/moodle/all.htm  Moodle looks good, and http://www.linuxbox.com/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=bb2moodle converts from BB to Moodle.  http://dotlrn.org/ is another good alternative.  (Hopes someone from NHQ IT reads this).

Moodle is great ... it just lacks a bit of the flashy commercial stuff that BlackBoard has.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

exFlight Officer

I received the email with the start date of 15 May 2010.

Anyone else have the start date of 15 May 2010 ?

davidsinn

Quote from: Flight Officer on December 16, 2009, 02:30:58 AM
I received the email with the start date of 15 May 2010.

Anyone else have the start date of 15 May 2010 ?

My wife received yesterday a date of Jan.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn