Main Menu

Iowa Wing CAP

Started by Pylon, September 01, 2006, 06:04:47 PM

Pylon

Quote from: Ricochet13 on November 01, 2006, 04:20:08 PM
Here you go . . .

Cool -- I hadn't seen that "25 questions about Iowa Wing" document before. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major_Chuck

the Iowa Wing model is spread over several threads and very interesting.Atleast to me it is.)

If the model is to become the future of CAP as a whole we are looking at a multiyear transformation. Once all the major players signed off on it it would take at least 5 years to get all 52 wings moving into the new CAP. Some would move faster than others.

I of course am all for it. Getting the NB, BoG, AF, ant NGB to give the affirmative nod, that is another adventure in itself

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

TankerT

Implementing the Iowa model everywhere may not work for everyone.

You have to remember, their model is a two way street.  The Iowa National Guard is also involved, and they have an MOU in place.  (If I recall correctly...)

So, how do you force such a model down... especially if the state isn't interested?

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

DNall

Quote from: TankerT on November 16, 2006, 09:22:23 PM
Implementing the Iowa model everywhere may not work for everyone.

You have to remember, their model is a two way street.  The Iowa National Guard is also involved, and they have an MOU in place.  (If I recall correctly...)

So, how do you force such a model down... especially if the state isn't interested?

From 1AF who has OPCON of lots of ANG Fighter Wings, along with HLS, Disaster, & AFRCC. Plus get the NGB to sign off on it. As I understand, it took Iowa two years to get where they are now. The biggest problem I see is some states are too small to make it work w/ a direct relationship & some are so big they already have our resources in SDFs or their own guard or state agency resources. We might be cheaper, but that comes with an org they don't control the training or ops for. I do think there is a lot of room to work though, and would be happy to refer some ANG officers I know to get involved.

bosshawk

Have any of you guys received the latest email from our National CC?  25 steps to success?  Looks like the CC has adopted the Iowa model down to the last dot and tee.  If anyone is interested, I can send it as an attachment to a PM: don't know how to send it to this blog.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

bosshawk

Three guys responded to my offer to email it to them: somebody sent me a bad email address.  My server won't send it because it says that the SMTP server will not forward to an unknown user.  Resend your email addresses, guys.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

RiverAux

Hit reply nad then in the blue box hit additional options and there is an option to attach a document....

bosshawk

Guess that I can't send my attachment, since the computer says that it is an HTM: whatever the Hell that is.

Will continue to forward to individual email addresses, as I receive them.

suspect that all of you will get a copy from your Wing King as they have time and the inclination to forward them.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

DNall

you could just post or cut/paste it here & call it good.

Nick Critelli

Thanks for all of your comments, kuddos and positive criticizms. All are valuable.  There are three documents you should read 1) The Report to the National Commander, 2) 25 Things about the Iowa Wing and 3) 25 Steps to a Successful Wing.  It's a lot of reading and if you can stay awake they will take you up to speed on that we have done.  e-mail me at ncritelli@iawg.cap.gov and I'll send them to you.

Last night I made a poor presentation to the NB about the IAWG program.  I obviously did a poor job because all they focused upon was the IAWG-NG relationship. When you think and study about what we have done please try to avoid focusing solely on the relationship.  It's very  ephemeral.   Focus instead on our change of personal and operating philosophy,  MOU's and funding will not make you a successful Wing. Re-focusing your image will.

First and foremost you are what you think you are.  You must change your image to yourself and to those around you.  If you think you are a "senior member" you will be one.  Whereas if  you  believe you are an "officer" you will behave like one.  If you think you are a "volunteer" you will be one.  But if  you think you are a professional that's what you will be. 

Personally I HATE the term volunteer.  In first responder circles it has an extremely negative connotation.  It is  not something you want to be.  Everyone is a volunteer for something.  If you are equating a "volunteer" with unpaid, then say so.  Say, that I am  a professional who donates his time and talent to CAP.   If you are equating a "volunteer" with someone who can quit at any time,  I personally don't want anything to do with them.  How can I count on my team if they can quit or abandon me at any time.  However if you are equating a "volunteer' with someone who joins an organization. Then I, all members of the Armed Forces, police forces and fire departments are volunteers.  I volunteered for CAP only once...the day I joined.  Can I quit? Yes I can...just like the police officer and fireman can quit.  The only difference is that they are compensated in cash whereas I receive something far more valuable.

Please focus on how we are attempting to reform  personal responsibility and accountability.  There can be  no leadership without education, training and opportunity for responsibility.  Focus on how we differentiate between training and practicing.  They are two entirely different concepts that are often overlooked. 

These are the important innovations  of the Iowa project.  Are they  really innovative?  No. All we did was return to the way it was in 1941-50. 

Please come visit us during one of our WTAs. There is an excitement, a spirit, a commaraderie that I only experienced once before...at NBB. It's not an Iowa thing. NEBOOM,  from this blog,  came and visited and even he experienced it.  And you and your Wing can do it too. Remember you are what you think about most of the time.

NC

TankerT

I really like what Lt Col Critelli has to say here.

My problem with everyone stating that everyone should adopt the Iowa model is that most people focus on the relationship with the NG and the MOU. 

You can have all the signed documents you want, but without trained personnel that understand their jobs, are accountable for them, and act the part of a professional, they mean squat.  (As some of which Lt Col Critelli talks about.)

I think the core part of the Iowa Wing model that everyone should adopt, is the attitude toward professionalism, proficiency and esprit de corps.  From what I have gathered, that is what is making their new program successful. 

Everyone talks about their relationship to the NG, and their WTAs.  That's great.  But, I don't think that will work for everyone due to a lot of factors.  (Don't get me wrong... I think everyone should take a long, hard look at those, and see how they could fit in their wing.  I think we could all take a piece of it and make it a way to improve our wing.)

My concern is that if this model gets pushed down (centralized training and the MOU) without the professional team, the attitude and the leadership to back it up, that we could create a disaster.

We need to infuse the attitude and skills of being a professional into our officer corps.  And, I mention skills, as I know too many officers that think they have the skills, but they don't.  They think they have a professional demeanor, but all they have is an attitude.

This is a change that needs to come both from the top down, but the bottom up as well.  This change also takes time, and key people leading it.

I would like to argue while people may hate the term "volunteer," there is a reality to that is what a lot of our membership is.  They can quit at any time. 

But, that is why at the same time, we need to ensure that we train professionals, and treat them as such.  Treating a "volunteer" in a professional manner will help you not only earn their respect, but make them feel respected, and part of the team.  And, often, being a part of something is what they signed up for, and for that, they will often stay.  (Along with other factors, to include providing them with the training they need to do their job.)

(edit) Just to clarify, I am not stating in my above statement that I feel we do not have the current leadership to make adjustments to our organization to ensure we act and think like professionals, nor that any specific wing lacks that.  I am just focusing on the overall idea that we need to approach this at multiple levels

Nick Critelli

Thanks  TankerT

Where does everyone get this "quit at anytime" thing?  That has absolutely nothing to do with volunteerism.  We're no different from the policeman or fireman. Everyone can quit at any time....even POTUS. 

I've been in a lot of service organizations but I have never seen this type of attitude except for CAP.   

I hate to say this but frankly it is an excuse.  When a project doesn't get started or done..."well, they're "just volunteers". When deadlines are not met..."well, they're "just volunteers". etc. etc.  It's an EXCUSE FOR POOR LEADERSHIP.

Those  who willingly give of their time, talent and treasure are the most motivated, creative and dedicated people you will ever find.  Their compensation is far more valuable than cash.  These (including CAP) are what is referred to as "high called people" meaning their dedication is due to a high sense of duty to their communities.  They are very easy to motivate and lead. 

For your contribution of time, talent and treasure you have a right to demand  leaders who can bring out the best in us and have a vision as to how to use it. Get active in your Wings.  Be a POSITIVE force and really make CAP's core values your personal operating standard.  When someone around you turns negtive, bellyaches, etc. don't join in...and ask them to stop.  That type  of thing is killing our espirit de corps.

NC

TankerT

Quote from: Nick Critelli, Lt Col CAP on November 17, 2006, 02:29:16 PM
Where does everyone get this "quit at anytime" thing? 

I think this is something every person in a leadership position should take a long hard look at.

Does it have to do with a lack of leadership?  A lack of training?  A poor focus on our recruiting program?

bosshawk

Just a few of my 2c worth.  Col Critelli has a whole series of good points about the Iowa experience.  We, collectively, should stop chiping our teeth about MTAs, awards, MOUs, and all of the other things that we get diverted about.  What he, and the Iowa team, have done is create a relationship in his state that works(apparently) for the Iowa Wing of CAP.  We should watch this develop and then see if it works for other states.

I happen to live in a state where the Iowa model would have to be seriously changed.  CA is about 800 miles from north to south and runs from the Sierra Nevada mts to the ocean.  I doubt that the model would hold up with the size of the state and the number of members: we have just over 3,000 total.

What I don't understand is: why did Gen Pineda simply pick up the Iowa model and send it out to all wings, without any input from the Wings.  The Region CCs must be in a real state of wonderment.  Unfortunately, this sort of thing seems to be going on(or coming out of Maxwell) with alarming regularity lately.

More questions than answers, but pay attention to Critelli.

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

NEBoom

Quote from: TankerT on November 17, 2006, 01:38:25 PM
I really like what Lt Col Critelli has to say here.

My problem with everyone stating that everyone should adopt the Iowa model is that most people focus on the relationship with the NG and the MOU. 

You can have all the signed documents you want, but without trained personnel that understand their jobs, are accountable for them, and act the part of a professional, they mean squat.  (As some of which Lt Col Critelli talks about.)

I think the core part of the Iowa Wing model that everyone should adopt, is the attitude toward professionalism, proficiency and esprit de corps.  From what I have gathered, that is what is making their new program successful. 

<snip>

You've hit the nail right on the head here.  The biggest thing that impressed me on our visit over there was the spirit of enthusiasm and professionalism that just permeated the place.  All were in uniform, and most/all uniforms looked good.  Their spirits were high.  They clearly wanted to be there.

Although it's rather intangible, this spirit is an important component to the whole reorganization, IMHO.  Simply put, it's an enabler.  Why have the Iowa Wing people accomplished so much?  Because they decided that they would be professionals.  Not just claim the title and then do nothing more about it, mind you, but actually be professional.  With this attitude, they found they could indeed accomplish their goals.  And as they will attest, there were many obstacles and roadblocks to overcome.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

NEBoom

Quote from: bosshawk on November 17, 2006, 07:15:23 PM
<snip>
I happen to live in a state where the Iowa model would have to be seriously changed.  CA is about 800 miles from north to south and runs from the Sierra Nevada mts to the ocean.  I doubt that the model would hold up with the size of the state and the number of members: we have just over 3,000 total.

<snip>

In the "25 Questions about the Iowa Wing's Re-organization" document, question 23 asks, "Can't we just chose part of the plan?"  Lt Col Critelli answers, "Unfortunately no. It's a consolidated matrix. The OTS works with the WTA and the Field Grade Officer Transition. The WTA works with ICAPA and the OTS. The Field Grade Officer transition works with the OTS and facilitates the WTA. Pull one thread and something unintended will unravel."

This is just about the only thing I might disagree with the good Colonel on (though my disagreement may only be a matter of semantics).  Obviously the system would have to be modified to fit whatever wing it's being applied to.  Not to diminish the importance of all the hard work and dedication they put in, but there were a number of factors in the Iowa reorganization that were a matter of good fortune (apparently all the planets aligned directly above Des Moines right when they needed to :)).  How this is implemented in other wings, and the ultimate form the reorganization takes in each of these wings, will depend on some of the same things happening.

For instance, Iowa was fortunate they had a core group of leaders who were willing and able to devote the time and effort needed to lay the groundwork for their relationship with the state.  Early on, they adopted the policy that every time the State EOC was activated, there would be someone in CAP's chair there.  Fortunately, they happened to have people who were ready, able, and available to pull this duty.  The "face time" they got from this was essential in building credibility with the State Emergency Management system, which in turn led to more missions and funding.  Where would they be if they didn't have those individuals at that time?

There are several things that can go wrong when trying to implement this system elsewhere.  Say you run into one or two individuals in key leadership positions in the State Government or National Guard who have had bad experiences with CAP and are unwilling to get past it.  Or if you have leaders in the State Govt or NG who cannot or will not see the potential CAP brings (protecting their turf, resistant to change, etc).  The whole thing could well go down the toilet.  You have the misfortune of giving a bad briefing at the wrong time, you jeopardize the whole thing as well.

My opinion is that these and other factors will alter the final form that such a reorganization will take, and (IMHO) rightly so.  Things have to be tailored to take into account the "atmosphere" in each state, as well as CAP's current situation in each wing.

Of course, none of this means we shouldn't try it!
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Nick Critelli

Can some things be changed?  Of course.  Remember our Wing is the size of some Groups and squadrons.  Is everything connected? We believe it is, a matrix if you will.  But at the end of the day it has to fit into your wing's culture.

As far as Gen Pineda, he had me send it out as a starting point.  You have to start somewhere.  This cannot be and is not being shoved down anyone's throat. It is, however being shown as a way to start. 

It's all about our perception of ourselves.  As David MacKenzie Ogilvy, the father of advertising once said, "perception is  reality."

NC

NEBoom

Quote from: Nick Critelli, Lt Col CAP on November 17, 2006, 11:05:14 PM
Can some things be changed?  Of course.  Remember our Wing is the size of some Groups and squadrons.  Is everything connected? We believe it is, a matrix if you will.  But at the end of the day it has to fit into your wing's culture.

As far as Gen Pineda, he had me send it out as a starting point.  You have to start somewhere.  This cannot be and is not being shoved down anyone's throat. It is, however being shown as a way to start. 

It's all about our perception of ourselves.  As David MacKenzie Ogilvy, the father of advertising once said, "perception is  reality."

NC

OK, we're on the same page then.  :)
DK
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

ZigZag911

Has Iowa Wing reached a full year under this new model yet?

That would seem to be the 'first phase'.

Once they've had a chance to review their accomplishments (see what worked, what didn't, what needs adapting), then would seem a reasonable time for a study team to distill and distinguish:

1) what IA did that could be used everywhere

2) what IA did that depends on Guard support and involvement

3) what IA did that might be considered useful but optional

4) what IA did that may need adaptation to work elsewhere

RiverAux

That is exactly right.  Iowa is trying some great new ideas but we should be careful about promoting them nationwide until we've seen if they work or not.