Main Menu

1st Lt for Life...Oy!!!

Started by Major Carrales, October 11, 2008, 01:33:01 AM

Flying Pig

I have been a 1Lt since 1998. :clap:

RiverAux

You're a living homage to those Army soldiers who spent 20 years in one rank back in the 1800s when promotions depended on when your superior officer died of heart disease...

O-Rex

Quote from: RiverAux on October 11, 2008, 09:33:15 PM
I really don't think that cadets really care whether or not a senior member advances in rank.  Now, they sure as heck will notice if they are not setting a good example as far as uniforms, customs and courtesies, and general CAP activity. 

Someone diligent enough to keep a squared-away uniform and practice proper customs & courtesies will make some effort to progress through the program.

Remember that CAP rank is not a measure of authority, but of accomplishments in pursuing the senior program though education and participation: the two very things we expect from cadets.

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: NIN on October 11, 2008, 02:34:17 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on October 11, 2008, 01:59:51 AM
There was no need for the "CAP grade is a joke" comment whatsoever. >:(

Why? Because its essentially so true?

CAP "rank" is not a joke, our treatment of that rank is a joke.

I am a firm believe that the "take any volunteer" mentality is the wrong one. I prefer quality over quantity.

Pumbaa

I am a firm believe that the "take any volunteer" mentality is the wrong one. I prefer quality over quantity.

Thus with the new ICS requirements I think you are going to see an exodus of many members.

RiverAux

If a CAP member can't take a few hours to whip out those internet ICS courses, I don't think we want them around anyway.  The ICS300/400 are a different story.  I suspect we will lose some high level mission staff who will be offended if they lose their quals over it.

NIN

Quote from: RiverAux on October 11, 2008, 09:40:59 PM
You're a living homage to those Army soldiers who spent 20 years in one rank back in the 1800s when promotions depended on when your superior officer died of heart disease...

When I was in the National Guard, the joke was that you didn't have to wait for someone to retire to get a new slot.. You had to wait for someone to retire, and then die, to get that slot..
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: LittleIronPilot on October 12, 2008, 03:11:12 PM
CAP "rank" is not a joke, our treatment of that rank is a joke.

No disagreement.

Years ago, there was a Bob Stevens cartoon in the back of Air Force magazine that talked about the pilot shortage at the beginning of WWII and how they'd "take anybody." It depicted a team of doctors around a potential pilot cadet candidate, and each is poking/prodding and asking questions.  One Dr. says to the nurse "Put down 'breathing'." while the other doctor is asking the examinee "What color is that red number on the wall?"

Please demonstrate how you will be a benefit to my organization before I'm going to take the time and effort training you.  My unit uses a membership board to ensure that we have qualified and eager members who actually sign on the dotted line and will be there contributing in a year.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

stratoflyer

I think grade in CAP serves it's purpose that is often mitigated by the very people who earn it.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

CAP Producer

Quote from: ColonelJack on October 11, 2008, 03:34:21 PM
And Nin ... to give you an idea how long ago it was ... you had to wait until you made Lt Col to get your farts and darts hat -- and they were only $45 at MCSS.

Jack

I only paid 40 for mine and have only worn it once.

;D
AL PABON, Major, CAP

Cecil DP

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 11, 2008, 09:35:16 PM
I have been a 1Lt since 1998. :clap:

I've been a LtCol since 1990. I win!!
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

O-Rex

Quote from: RiverAux on October 12, 2008, 09:34:53 PM
The ICS300/400 are a different story.  I suspect we will lose some high level mission staff who will be offended if they lose their quals over it.

They should be no more offended than a licensed professional, i.e., Doctor, Lawyer, Teacher, CPA, etc., meeting the 'continuing education' requirements to keep their jobs, or soldiers and marines re-qualifying with their weapons and common tasks annually.  Or better yet, a pilot becoming offended because he has to take a check-ride.

Really, some folks need to get over themselves.

James Shaw

Longest time in rank i know of at this time.

Col Ben Stone of GAWG HQ.

Made Lt. Col. in 1954 and was promoted to Colonel in 2007

53 Years as a Lt. Colonel and there is none beter than this man!
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

wuzafuzz

There are a few motivations to move to a higher grade, but from what I've read so far, the primary reason is for the sake of appearance...to mitigate what others will think of you.  I'm not being sarcastic, rather I am a member for slightly over a year and I am genuinely curious.  It doesn't make much difference from what I've seen so far.

I know you have to be a Colonel to be a wing king, at least a First Lieutenant for squadron commander, etc.  If you aren't on track to be a wing king, how does grade REALLY affect your CAP career?  What is it really good for, especially if you have professional and leadership experience earned outside CAP?
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: RiverAux on October 12, 2008, 09:34:53 PM
If a CAP member can't take a few hours to whip out those internet ICS courses, I don't think we want them around anyway.  The ICS300/400 are a different story.  I suspect we will lose some high level mission staff who will be offended if they lose their quals over it.

Thank you! People taking a couple of online courses and a test is NOT HARD.

Anyone that tells me they have neither the time or inclination to do them ICS classes also tell me they have no interest in actually be a professional CAP/SAR team member.

James Shaw

I believe in ongong and continous professional development. Most professional careers have some form of CEU (continuing education unit) requirements to them. When you work through any professional development course either part of CAP or not than you are improving yourself (hopefully) as an Individual which in turn should improve your professional knowledge or skill. I do not do professional development as a way to get more rank (which has no real authority) I do it because I am dedicated to the line of work I have chosen.

Advancement in rank is a benefit of completing professional development courses and not the other way around. You can have a 1st Lt PIC and a Lt. Col in the same plane and the 1st Lt is still the PIC. I enjoy the opportunities to network with fellow CAP members thorugh professional development courses such as SLS/CLC/RSC/NSC. I dont have any personal angst with those who choose not to promote through the ranks unless they are part of a Cadet program.

As stated in the past I believe that if you work for it and earn it than you deserve to wear it, that goes for rank or any awards!
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

MSgt Van

MSgt since 1989, so there!
{currently working on ECI 13}

ColonelJack

Quote from: caphistorian on October 13, 2008, 11:44:08 AM
Longest time in rank i know of at this time.

Col Ben Stone of GAWG HQ.

Made Lt. Col. in 1954 and was promoted to Colonel in 2007

53 Years as a Lt. Colonel and there is none beter than this man!

Amen to that, Major Shaw!!  Ben Stone was an inspiration to me when I was active in CAP ... I enjoyed many GAWG conferences just sitting with others listening to the man talk.  The single finest person I'd ever met in the organization, and I knew some good people.

I was so pleased to see Col. Stone get his eagles!  They should've done that for him a long time ago.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Sleepwalker

As my humble contribution (opinion):

I have been a Captain for many years, and have had a great time and gotten alot done.  I feel I have just enough rank to have earned some 'respect' from others (I'm talking mostly first impressions),  yet able to stay  'under the radar' (meaning, clear of Wing politics!) for the most part.  I have earned promotion to Major, and will really enjoy doing those jobs that come with it, but I will probably not become LtCol for a long, long time because of everything involved.  I still believe I get more done flying under the radar.  I have known several people who remain in the grade of 1s tLt just because it is what they enjoy doing.  I have no problem with that. 
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: Sleepwalker on October 13, 2008, 04:41:23 PM
I have earned promotion to Major, and will really enjoy doing those jobs that come with it, but I will probably not become LtCol for a long, long time because of everything involved. 

What jobs are restricted to those of a Major or higher (Wing CC not included) ?