Senior Members - College experience?

Started by brasda91, May 17, 2007, 06:48:46 PM

For the Senior Members (Officers), what level of college do you have?

High School Graduate, no college
Attended some college classes, no degree
Associates Degree
Bachelors Degree
Masters Degree or higher

Ford73Diesel

Just graduated University of Akron with a BS in Political Justice/ Criminal Justice.

Luis R. Ramos

BA General Studies, University of Puerto Rico, 1980
Master in Public Administration, UPR, 1984
Masters of Education, Instructional Systems Technology, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 1986
Masters of Library and Information Science, IU, Bloomington, IN 1988
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

umpirecali

been a senior in credit for about 13 years.  One of these days I'll get around to finishing it off...
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

Jaison009

Technical Certificate: Firefighter Standards: Arkansas Fire Academy/Southern Ark University Tech: 2003
Technical Certificate: Paramedic Technology: Arkansas Tech University-Ozark: 2006
Associates Applied Science: Allied Health: Cum Laude: Arkansas Tech University: Ozark, 2006
Bachelors Science: Emergency Administration and Management: Cum Laude: Arkansas Tech University, 2008

Currently pursuing:
Masters Business Administration: Management: American Intercontinental University: 2014

then post graduate certificate in nonprofit management

Pump Scout

Took in some college courses when I came back from Fort Knox, and quickly realized it wasn't for me. I may wind up back there if I decide to pursue something that requires a degree (law being the most likely), but I'm much more likely to go without. The ROI for a degree at this point is decreasing, as my field is more experienced based than education based. If I had to pick between a 4-year college degree/zero experience person or a zero college/4-year experience person in my field to bring into my business, I'd take experience every time. There's no college out there that teaches someone how to be a real estate title examiner. I did take the state title agency's title examiner classes, as well as a good amount of CE class time for licensing.

Devil Doc

Ill Contribute:

AAS in General Occupational Technology (Dont Ask  :) )
Intermediate Certificate in Medical Assisting
Basic Certificate in Medical Assisting

Military Experience
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Flying Pig

I barely graduated High School because I was to busy day dreaming about life getting started. l have a bunch of pilot ratings though. :)  Ive gone back to college a few times but get called in to work so much to fly I kept having to drop the courses.  Thats my sad story.

docbiochem33

I have a B.A. in Biology and am close to a B.A. in Biochemistry (and Yes, I hate Chemistry)

I am going back to get my LPN and Paramedic.

Private Investigator

Anyone who is a Veteran should take advantage of going to college. You earned it   :clap:

Rick-DEL

BS in Information Technology from Northeastern University

Took quite a few years to go to school after my service days, but I finally decided to pursue it, and complete it.

paul83814

BS cum laude in Computer Science from Minot State College 1986
close to an AA in Radio/TV Production, too
changed majors a lot (Pre-Med, Law Enforcement, Radio/TV, Computer Science)
dropped out several times to earn money to pay for school
got married, had a child
gave myself 2 years to finish a BS degree in 1984 and pushed through
worked full time (4pm-midnight) and took full load of classes
It's amazing what you can do when you have a goal and a timeframe
Paul Brand, Capt CAP
Personnel & Admin Officer, IT Officer, Asst. Comm. Officer
Coeur d Alene Composite Squadron

"The best portion of a good man's life is the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love." --William Wordsworth

J2H

I have some college.  No degree though
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

rjfoxx

I have a Masters; and if you will let brag at bit about my younger brother (not a CAP member, but former USAF officer):
BS - Mathematics
BS - Microbiology
MS - Computer Systems Management
MBA
MS - Genetics
PhD - Genetics
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

ProdigalJim

Quote from: rjfoxx on February 19, 2013, 02:29:10 PM
I have a Masters; and if you will let brag at bit about my younger brother (not a CAP member, but former USAF officer):
BS - Mathematics
BS - Microbiology
MS - Computer Systems Management
MBA
MS - Genetics
PhD - Genetics

Sounds like Story Musgrave...  :)
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Cliff_Chambliss

From day care pre-school to the Phd, at every level the focus of study becomes narrower and more specialized and the student studies more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

To quote from Robert A. Heinlein:
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonet, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take order, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects."
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

TarRiverRat

I have some college dealing with Business Administration but did not complete.  I am currently working on an Associates Degree in Ministry.  As far as only ones with a Degree being Officers, I have seen more non-college types with more intelligence and more experience than ones that have a Masters or higher.  Just because you are a college graduate does not make you Officer material or smarter than the ones who did not go to college.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

bflynn

Quote from: sardak on May 18, 2007, 04:05:08 AM
Quote from: LTC_Gadget on May 18, 2007, 02:30:29 AM
I've seen lawyers and other professionals for which that could be considered a valid compliant.. Don't forget spelling, either.

Ahem.  ;)

Mike

Well it's spelled right, it's just the wrong word  :-[

I suspect it's too late, but I don't think the post above was asking that we have a 40 page post of degrees and credentials.  We're all proud of our degrees, but the question is whether or not CAP officers should have an education requirement.

I tend to think not for multiple reasons.  For one, you'd have to decide whether or not to grandfather in existing officers (probably) so there would be no real effect for many years.  It also comes across as snobbish and elitist.  And having an education does not mean anything about a person's ability to perform good written communications or leadership.  I'm willing to bet there's at least one error in this post because I know I find misspellings and words left out all the time.  And yet I have a master's degree.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on May 26, 2013, 09:50:49 PM
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonet, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take order, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects."

There is no merit to being a jack of all trades and master of none.  Mediocrity is the result.  I' much rather be a jack of several trades (but not all) and a master of at least one.  Would you rather have a neurosurgeon cracking your skull or a GP?
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Luis R. Ramos

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on May 26, 2013, 09:50:49 PM

He was a science fiction writer...

:D

Make a connection...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer