CAP ID Scanning via Cell Phone

Started by Imouttahere, August 11, 2020, 05:01:49 PM

Imouttahere

Anyone ever play around with bar code scanning apps as a way of checking people into meetings or events?  I know the CAP ID barcode only contains the actually CAP ID number and no personally identifiable identification. I'm aware we can interface a bar code scanner with eServices but it seems as if cell phones (assuming coverage) are a good option.  Just thinking "smahter not haher" (smarter not harder), as they say here in New England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHall

Apps to read barcodes are common, the trick is entering this data into the CAP IT systems.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: PHall on August 12, 2020, 12:05:14 AMApps to read barcodes are common, the trick is entering this data into the CAP IT systems.

The safety and attendance system both allow for comma separated imports I believe.

Imouttahere

I'll need to play around with it. Use an app to scan to a CSV then import directly. Anyone actively using a system like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dad Jokes

You can use a scanner and log them right in using the attendance section in eServices.

We were doing it for a while, but stopped for some reason.  It may have been some technical issue, or we broke the scanner.... I don't remember, I've slept since then.

Hawk200

I remember talk of using a bar code scanner to "scan into" a meeting some 15 years ago.

I'm kinda surprised that it still hasn't been done on a regular basis.

(And, now I'm wondering if it would be possible to use an old Raspberry Pi to do it.)

etodd

For big events, yes.  But for 40 or 50 people at a meeting, I think you could manually check them in about a quick as you would spending time to get your laptop and scanner ready to go, deal with the folks that forgot their card or left it in the car,  and then the time to convert whatever file and upload it into the system and make sure it all worked. I know technology is fun, but if you're discussing efficiency, sometimes it will slow you down. LOL
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

NovemberWhiskey

You can get keyboard-replacement apps for mobile phones that will just 'type' a scanned barcode directly into whatever app is open using the camera on the phone, which could be a spreadsheet or something.

I'm pretty sure that's what's being discussed here, rather than anything involving a laptop, scanner and so on.

Particularly for missions, there are also those who really want to know that a member has their ID card with them, so "sending them back to the car to get it" might actually be a desirable property.