Brand new, NTC-approved, inexpensive handheld radios!

Started by JoeTomasone, April 01, 2013, 02:05:25 PM

JoeTomasone

Want a brand-new and inexpensive CAP compliant radio? Our prayers have finally been answered, and NO, this is NOT an April Fool's Day gag; this is the real deal!

Wouxun is known mostly for inexpensive Ham radios, but they have 2 commercial models that the NTC has certified as CAP compliant. They cost $175 and $150, and essentially differ in the number of channels offered. Both models have quite inexpensive accessories, including the programming cable you will need to program the radio (check with your Comm Officer for frequencies..).

http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/kg-uv6x-dual-band-vhf-uhf-commercial.html

http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/kg-uv3x-dual-band-vhf-uhf-125-channel-handheld-commercial-radio.html

- Your friendly neighborhood FLWG DC

arajca

For those who would like definitive proof, see the attached screen shot.

Caveat: These are not P25 radios, analog only. They will not do encryption for CAP purposes.

JeffDG

We have planes that are analog only, so every SAREX uses a pure analog channel plan, so no big deal there!

arajca

True, but I wanted to make sure folks were aware of it.

Brad

Thanks for this Joe! I've thought off and on about getting one of these for ham use. May go ahead now that I know it's NTC approved as well. If I don't find a 5100 Johnson for a better deal that is.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Eclipse

Noooo!  This isn't possible!  You can't buy a compliant radio for less then $5000 and then it can only be programmed by Sherpas!

Your "facts" limit my ability to complain!

"That Others May Zoom"

johnnyb47

Quote from: Eclipse on April 01, 2013, 04:25:08 PM
Noooo!  This isn't possible!  You can't buy a compliant radio for less then $5000 and then it can only be programmed by Sherpas!

Your "facts" limit my ability to complain!
Thanks. Now my office thinks I'm crazy for laughing hysterically. :)

Ordered one of the UV6X radios just now.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Woodsy

When I found out about this and told the good Maj. Tomasone yesterday, he thought I was pulling an April fools joke on him! We have talked at length about the NTC's inability to approve any radio under an arm and a leg, even though there are many that are compliant, such as this.  I think this is a good step forward, hopefully the progress will continue and we'll have some others added to the list.

Johnnyb47, when you're up and running, can you post a review for us?  Also, did you order any of the accessories? 

arajca

Here is a consideration...

Since the ISRs are no longer available, and were actually fairly cheap (~$80, IIRC), perhaps something like this could be a replacement radio for them. Admittedly, we'll need to make sure we only use the simplex for most activities, but it'll help reduce the belt-load of folks. Perhaps getting a couple additional simplex frequencies could also help or using the repeater in or out with unique PL tones would help. 

wuzafuzz

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well son of a gun.  It's about time.  These will make great radios for many members who where essentially shut out of comm when the narrowband requirements hit.  They don't do P25 or encryption, but we don't use those modes most of the time anyway.  There may be times when our customers insist on encryption, but the rest of the time we can rock the affordable radios.

"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

a2capt

Here's the 200 channel version at Amazon.com for $141 .. Same programming cable as Baofeng.

* a2capt mumbles something about radio vendors with names that sound like speech impediments.

PHall

Quote from: arajca on April 01, 2013, 08:26:04 PM

Since the ISRs are no longer available, and were actually fairly cheap (~$80, IIRC), perhaps something like this could be a replacement radio for them. Admittedly, we'll need to make sure we only use the simplex for most activities, but it'll help reduce the belt-load of folks. Perhaps getting a couple additional simplex frequencies could also help or using the repeater in or out with unique PL tones would help.

One of the best things about the ISR's is that they are NOT on CAP frequencies.
Everytime we've used "CAP" radios at activities such as Encampments or airshows we have to deal with the self-appointed, holier-then-thou, CAP "Radio Police".

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on April 02, 2013, 12:35:12 AM

Everytime we've used "CAP" radios at activities such as Encampments or airshows we have to deal with the self-appointed, holier-then-thou, CAP "Radio Police".

?

There's no reason you can't use CAP frequencies at airshows and encampments.

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

Quote from: PHall on April 02, 2013, 12:35:12 AM

I'm not a self-appointed, holier than thou, CAP Radio Police Officer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once or twice.   ;)

It's true ISR's don't use CAP frequencies, but they are federal frequencies.  All the same rules apply.  Believe it or not that even applies to CAP use of FRS radios.  See CAPR 100-1 para 9-13:
9-13. FRS/ISR Procedures.
Operations with either ISR or FRS radios should use normal CAP operating procedures, including call signs. To operate either FRS or ISR without supervision, operators must be qualified as a radio operator under paragraph 5-2 of this regulation.

That means the FRS bubble pack radios we can use for anything but ES,are completely legal to use without any training...until you use them during CAP activities.  Then you are supposed to be a CAP authorized radio operator! 

Even if we don't like it, those are the rules we agreed to follow when we joined, and each time we renewed our CAP membership.  So as long as those radio coppers are being decent about keeping us on the right side of the rules, be nice to them.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.  Enjoy the fact we now have access to inexpensive and easily programmed VHF radios for CAP use.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Spaceman3750

Ya know, I sometimes find myself loaning out my personal radio to someone on my team when I have a larger team, usually if I'm breaking off a hasty team or I just want a little CYA when it comes to people wrangling. Now I don't have to loan out my $$$ Motorola >:D.

JeffDG

The new Communications Table of Allowances requires that portable VHF radios support both P25 and encryption.  That means we cannot purchase any of these radios with AF funds under to ToA.

Eclipse

Why would anyone use USAF funds for these?  And for that matter, where would those USAF funds come from?

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on April 02, 2013, 03:28:26 PM
Why would anyone use USAF funds for these?  And for that matter, where would those USAF funds come from?
Just making a comment on the idea of replacing ISRs with something like this.

ISRs are covered in the ToA, actually quite a large number of them. 

Sorry, I'm a Wing DC, and I've been doing an in-depth analysis of the new ToA for my wing to bring us into compliance with it.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on April 02, 2013, 03:36:46 PMSorry, I'm a Wing DC, and I've been doing an in-depth analysis of the new ToA for my wing to bring us into compliance with it.

I'm still waiting for comment from our DC who's doing the same thing - I have to approve the ES radios that are / will be issued.
I was about 1/2 done with the process when he said "hold off, things are changing".  Haven't heard back yet.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on April 02, 2013, 03:49:31 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on April 02, 2013, 03:36:46 PMSorry, I'm a Wing DC, and I've been doing an in-depth analysis of the new ToA for my wing to bring us into compliance with it.

I'm still waiting for comment from our DC who's doing the same thing - I have to approve the ES radios that are / will be issued.
I was about 1/2 done with the process when he said "hold off, things are changing".  Haven't heard back yet.
It's different, that's for sure.

If you're (or your DC is interested), I have a spreadsheet that calculates a lot of the stuff.  My major issue is the allocation of portable (handheld) radios will be a radical change for us.  Not necessarily bad, but different, and that means friction when we make the changes...luckily I have our annual Command Call to walk folks through it in person rather than some impersonal e-mail.