The proper wear of CAP ribbons

Started by AlphaSigOU, September 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM

mdickinson

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 11, 2008, 12:08:49 AM
Updated guide to include the new Achievement Award. Mods/admins: please replace the old one at the top of this thread for this revised edition.

The one at the top of the thread has NOT been replaced - it is still the old one from 1997 which erroneously refers to a clasp for every 10 non-distress finds. This was corrected to 20 in the 1998 version.  I would hope it would be possible to have the latest version at the top of the thread, per AlphaSigOU's request. 

Is the 10 Aug 08 version the latest one?

Eclipse

Quote from: mdickinson on September 12, 2010, 11:52:54 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 11, 2008, 12:08:49 AM
Updated guide to include the new Achievement Award. Mods/admins: please replace the old one at the top of this thread for this revised edition.

The one at the top of the thread has NOT been replaced - it is still the old one from 1997 which erroneously refers to a clasp for every 10 non-distress finds. This was corrected to 20 in the 1998 version.  I would hope it would be possible to have the latest version at the top of the thread, per AlphaSigOU's request. 

Is the 10 Aug 08 version the latest one?

The SAR ribbon on the one mentioned is incorrect as well - only need 1 aircrew sortie in the 10 to add the prop to the ribbon.

"That Others May Zoom"

BradM

How many of you wear your ribbons when you just wear your short sleeve or long sleeve AF blue shirt?  I am getting advice in my squadron that in the "Air Force culture" officers don't wear their ribbons on their shirts, just their aviation and specialty badges. Yet, when I just went to the Wing Conference in Santa Maria California 80% of officers wearing the AF uniform with just the shirt wore their ribbons. So I am wondering what most members do in CAP? Thank you :)
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

davidsinn

Quote from: BradM on November 17, 2010, 06:41:21 PM
How many of you wear your ribbons when you just wear your short sleeve or long sleeve AF blue shirt?  I am getting advice in my squadron that in the "Air Force culture" officers don't wear their ribbons on their shirts, just their aviation and specialty badges. Yet, when I just went to the Wing Conference in Santa Maria California 80% of officers wearing the AF uniform with just the shirt wore their ribbons. So I am wondering what most members do in CAP? Thank you :)

I wear mine on the shirt because I hate the jacket and only wear it when necessary.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

You must have seen me wearing my ribbons with my short sleeve shirt at the CAWG Conference :)

Yes, CAP members can wear their ribbons on the AF Style shirt, Good knowledgebase article: http://capnhq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/capnhq.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1231

mdickinson

I have observed that there are three types of CAP members:
- Those who wear lots ribbons on their shirt (this is pretty much unheard of among senior members in my region)
- Those who wear no ribbons on their shirt
- Those who wear a single row of three ribbons on their shirt

No matter what anyone tells you, any of these options is 100% OK, according to the CAP uniform manual.

I have noticed that the "single row of three ribbons" approach seems to be regional in nature. That is, people in some areas of the country do it, and people in other areas don't. Not sure why.   Maybe some influential person said "let's all do it this way" and everyone in the sqdn/group/wing got on board. New members were told to do it that way. Nothing wrong with that...

Side note: in the Coast Guard, everyone wears all their ribbons on their shirt, but in the Air Force, no one does. That's just the custom.

Personally I like the single-row-of-three-ribbons approach (also the only-one-specialty-track-badge approach). That way everyone in the unit is wearing a similar number of items on their shirt, regardless of how long they've been in. It lets people pick their proudest three ribbons (in my case the meritorious service, the A. Scott Crossfield award, and the cadet orientation pilot ribbon with lots of clasps.  :-)  However in my area, the single-row option is out of style at present.

jeders

From my understanding, which is limited at best, Air Force officers don't tend to wear ribbons when they just wear the shirt, instead they just wear their specialty badges. They leave all of the ribbons on the service coat. That being said there are certainly some who do wear their ribbons on their shirt.

I choose to only wear mini specialty badges on my shirt and my CP badge, then on my service coat I have full size badges and all the ribbons I'm entitled to wear. I used to wear all my ribbons on my shirt, but over the years I've gotten tired of trying to keep them clean and in good order. Hence the reason I only wear my ribbons on my service coat. I would suspect that the reasoning is more or less the same for why most AF officers don't seem to wear ribbons on their shirts.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

CAP Producer

Quote from: mdickinson on November 17, 2010, 08:21:00 PM

I have observed that there are three types of CAP members:
- Those who wear lots ribbons on their shirt (this is pretty much unheard of among senior members in my region)
- Those who wear no ribbons on their shirt
- Those who wear a single row of three ribbons on their shirt

No matter what anyone tells you, any of these options is 100% OK, according to the CAP uniform manual.

I have noticed that the "single row of three ribbons" approach seems to be regional in nature. That is, people in some areas of the country do it, and people in other areas don't. Not sure why.   Maybe some influential person said "let's all do it this way" and everyone in the sqdn/group/wing got on board. New members were told to do it that way. Nothing wrong with that...

Side note: in the Coast Guard, everyone wears all their ribbons on their shirt, but in the Air Force, no one does. That's just the custom.

Personally I like the single-row-of-three-ribbons approach (also the only-one-specialty-track-badge approach). That way everyone in the unit is wearing a similar number of items on their shirt, regardless of how long they've been in. It lets people pick their proudest three ribbons (in my case the meritorious service, the A. Scott Crossfield award, and the cadet orientation pilot ribbon with lots of clasps.  :-)  However in my area, the single-row option is out of style at present.

Malcom is right. Ribbon wear on the shirt is a matter of choice.

My choice is generally not to wear ribbons or badges on the shirt. I do it that way out of convenience and to keep a clean and unassuming look. I want people to talk to me at events and sometimes when I wear all of my stuff newer members may be less hesitant to say hi and talk.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

mdickinson

Quote from: CAP Producer on November 17, 2010, 08:35:27 PM
My choice is generally not to wear ribbons or badges on the shirt. I do it that way out of convenience and to keep a clean and unassuming look.

Here's a question I wondered about years ago - and don't recall ever finding an answer to:

Does the uniform manual allow us to choose NOT to wear wings or ground team badge that we have earned?  I know it says that no more than two are worn above the left pocket, but I don't recall ever reading "all, some, or none" when it comes to wings / GT badge / IC badge.

Does it say somewhere that it's OK not to wear them... and if not, must we wear our wings any time we wear the blue uniform or the aviator shirt?

CAP Producer

Quote from: mdickinson on November 17, 2010, 08:48:02 PM
Quote from: CAP Producer on November 17, 2010, 08:35:27 PM
My choice is generally not to wear ribbons or badges on the shirt. I do it that way out of convenience and to keep a clean and unassuming look.

Here's a question I wondered about years ago - and don't recall ever finding an answer to:

Does the uniform manual allow us to choose NOT to wear wings or ground team badge that we have earned?  I know it says that no more than two are worn above the left pocket, but I don't recall ever reading "all, some, or none" when it comes to wings / GT badge / IC badge. -

Does it say somewhere that it's OK not to wear them... and if not, must we wear our wings any time we wear the blue uniform or the aviator shirt?

I can;t find anything that requires the wear of aeronautical badges or any other badge in 39-1.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

Al Sayre

If you desire, you could wear just a name tag and your grade sleeves (epaulettes).  The badges and ribbons serve the purpose of instantly telling those who know what they are what you are and what you do.  Pilot, GT guy, Chaplain, Dr. etc.  If you wore nothing you would probably get a lot of weird looks and whispered questions - "Who is that dude and why is he here?"  The higher in grade, the stranger the looks.  A 2d Lt wouldn't garner much interest, a Lt Col would garner a lot.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

PA Guy

I very seldom wear ribbons on the shirt and when I do it is a short stack (5).  I usually wear either my obs wings or my GTL badge but seldom both.   Less is best.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

To each their own according to the regulations.

So say we all...

BradM

Quote from: PA Guy on November 17, 2010, 09:22:43 PM
I very seldom wear ribbons on the shirt and when I do it is a short stack (5).  I usually wear either my obs wings or my GTL badge but seldom both.   Less is best.

Thank you everyone for your answers and perspective. I'm 3 months a member and I have the Membership ribbon at present. :) The next 3 I want to earn are the Yeager Award ribbon, the Leadership ribbon when I get my Technician rating in one of my specialties (PD, and Finance), and the Community Service ribbon.  I'm thinking when I get more than 6 I will short stack the top 6 on the shirt and wear all on the service coat. I like the look of ribbons on the shirt, but too many might be uncomfortable to wear? I also want to become a Mission Observer and earn the Basic Ground Team badge as well. (Incase on a search I'm not selected to be in the air crew).
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

MIKE

WIWAC I wore all my bling on my shirts... At the time I didn't know any better or realize how goofy I looked. WIWAS I wore only my regular sized GT badge as is the custom.

Now I have come full circle, as in the CGAUX ribbons are required on Tropical Blue.  I have two racks set up.  One with all 4, and one with my top 3 for when I want to be low key, or I just got a new award.  My other option would be any 9, but I don't have that many yet.  I think there will come a point where I go to my top 3 rig exclusively since I don't have the none option.
Mike Johnston

Ned

I'm in the "no ribbons on the shirt" camp, generally.

Exception:  when I go to conferences, I sometimes just wear one or two ribbons, picking them carefully to make various points for folks who may not know me well.

At the CAWG conference last weekend, I was rockin' my "CP Pride" selection: just my highest cadet award with silver star and encampment ribbon with three silver clasps.

But as others have said, the regs allow you to wear some, all, or none on your shirt.

I think "none" looks most professional when in normal working situations, like squadron meetings.

But I may be in the minority on that.

Ned Lee
CP Enthusiast

jimmydeanno

Quote from: MIKE on November 17, 2010, 10:21:26 PM
I have two racks set up...
One with all 4
and one with my top 3

You have a rack with 4 and one with 3 and the difference of 1 ribbon is "low key" or not?   :o
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

BradM

Quote from: Mission Pilot on November 17, 2010, 10:31:41 PM
Quote from: Ned on November 17, 2010, 10:27:23 PM
Ned Lee
CP Enthusiast

Thanks for being a great MC Ned!

Yes you were fantastic at the Awards Banquet! I'm very happy I decided to go to that! :)
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

BradM

Quote from: Ned on November 17, 2010, 10:27:23 PM
I'm in the "no ribbons on the shirt" camp, generally.

Exception:  when I go to conferences, I sometimes just wear one or two ribbons, picking them carefully to make various points for folks who may not know me well.

At the CAWG conference last weekend, I was rockin' my "CP Pride" selection: just my highest cadet award with silver star and encampment ribbon with three silver clasps.

But as others have said, the regs allow you to wear some, all, or none on your shirt.

I think "none" looks most professional when in normal working situations, like squadron meetings.

But I may be in the minority on that.

Ned Lee
CP Enthusiast

I think my Squadron Commander is saying the same to me so on Commander's Call night I could wear the ribbons. Then on the other 3 meetings in the month do the "none" look. Then when I go to a Conference I could wear all or up to 6 if I want to short stack. It will be a few years before I have more than 6 :)

Does anyone ever wear the officer's service cap with their short sleeve shirt? Or is that more a Navy style? Like in the t.v. show JAG I see it all the time that way.

Finance Officer
La Verne, CA