Achievement Ribbon

Started by Flying Pig, September 07, 2008, 06:23:15 PM

cnitas

I hear what you guys are saying, and years back we had that problem in Maryland (but not so much anymore). 

I have written 4 120s and 3 have been eventually approved as written with one replaced with a different (higher) award, so (luckily) my experience is different.

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

jimmydeanno

Here's a good one for you:

Senior Member recruits 70 new members as part of a recruiting effort.  Recruits 10 new CFIIs.  Local squadrons near the event realize a 44% increase in membership.  Certificate of Appreciation.

Cadet helps another cadet on an obstacle course.  Commander's Commendation.

It also drives me crazy when Drill Teams and Color Guards are awarded commander's commendations and meritorious service awards for winning at the different levels.  Isn't that why they get the star attachments on their ribbons?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

cnitas

Yes, but your recruiting superstar also gets 10 clasps on his ribbon.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

DC

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 15, 2008, 05:43:52 PM
Here's a good one for you:

Senior Member recruits 70 new members as part of a recruiting effort.  Recruits 10 new CFIIs.  Local squadrons near the event realize a 44% increase in membership.  Certificate of Appreciation.

Cadet helps another cadet on an obstacle course.  Commander's Commendation.

It also drives me crazy when Drill Teams and Color Guards are awarded commander's commendations and meritorious service awards for winning at the different levels.  Isn't that why they get the star attachments on their ribbons?
Yeah, thats the idea. The most recent NCGC champs got Exceptional Service Awards...

Or the person that holds something for the Wing CC at emcampment and gets a Commander's Commendation for it...

What about the cadet that doesn't sleep for 36 hours while preparing for an open house, covering up the crappy work others did? Shouldn't they get something?

It really all comes down to who you know, and if your superiors are savvy enough or care enough to submit the award up the chain.. That is sad.

We are all volunteers, and I'm sure we all take pleasure in serving our country, but sometimes a little regognition is nice, but it really stings when you see it go to someone who doesn't really deserve what they are getting.

Eclipse

Quote from: cnitas on October 15, 2008, 06:10:33 PM

And the regs are pretty clear that you're not supposed to be recognized with a decoration for simply doing your job "well".

As to comparing one member's contribution to another in terms of decorations, that's a bad road to walk because it never leads anywhere positive, and I'm sure you those of you in compensated services know of plenty of adjutants wearing a shoulder full of ribbons, while front-liners doing "real" work get little to nothing.

Pylon's frustrations aside, most situations I've seen were because one commander had a good copywriter and one couldn't be bothered to complete the form.

And actually, if you have that many high-speed performers who are getting denied legit decorations because of inertia at higher HQ, maybe its time to start making noise.

At the end of the day, though, its all subjective, and I personally know a number of people wearing heavy decs for things I didn't personally consider all that big a deal, or worse they shouldn't be doing at all. (i.e. one man's "success" is another man's ignorance of the regs, rules, or common sense).

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on October 15, 2008, 06:32:49 PM

And the regs are pretty clear that you're not supposed to be recognized with a decoration for simply doing your job "well".

"Recruiting Superstar" wasn't his normal job, someone just tagged him for "organizing the event."  Ended up recruiting a bunch of people out of it.

But the decorations are awarded just for "doing your job well."  Congratulations, you've been the Assistant Region Testing Officer for the last two years.  Here's an exceptional.  Oh...Squadron Commander of the year?  Yeah, here's your certificate of appreciation...

YMMV.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DNall

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 15, 2008, 06:43:56 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 15, 2008, 06:32:49 PM

"Recruiting Superstar" wasn't his normal job, someone just tagged him for "organizing the event."  Ended up recruiting a bunch of people out of it.

But the decorations are awarded just for "doing your job well."  Congratulations, you've been the Assistant Region Testing Officer for the last two years.  Here's an exceptional.  Oh...Squadron Commander of the year?  Yeah, here's your certificate of appreciation...

YMMV.

That's right. You don't get decorated for doing your job to the standards set in regs, inspections, by higher, & within commander's intent. You DO get decorated (or should) for doing that job above standard, which includes comparison to how well your peers would be expected to perform - meaning a Major with X qualifications, and Y experience... okay say the master rated wing PD officer steps down & takes over PD for a Sq. That guy turns the program around & makes it successful, well that's not the same accomplishment as a 1LT with a couple years experience getting handed the job & having similar results while picking up a tech rating.

AvroArrow

What is this "Achievement" Ribbon??  :-[ ???

A ribbon that congratulates Cadets achieving the Wright Brothers:-\

DC

Quote from: AvroArrow on October 17, 2008, 01:10:43 AM
What is this "Achievement" Ribbon??  :-[ ???

A ribbon that congratulates Cadets achieving the Wright Brothers:-\
Where did you get that?!

Read the entire thread, your questions will be answered.

pixelwonk

Curious...  does the ribbon look like this, or whats depicted on page 25 of the Mar NB minutes?

AvroArrow

Quote from: DC on September 10, 2008, 12:49:52 PM
The general idea is an award that is more than a Certificate of Appriciation, but less than a Commander's Commendation. It is to be approvable on the group (or in the case of a wing without groups, wing) level.

Thanks  :o

addo1

There is a cadet in my squadron that I would like to nominate for the achievement ribbon. Does anyone know if this ribbon is acually in regs yet, and if it is, what the process for nomination someone is? Thanks.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

RiverAux

They just posted a new form and I believe it was listed on that form. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on December 17, 2008, 11:17:50 PM
They just posted a new form and I believe it was listed on that form. 

Already pointed Addo in the right direction via yahoo chat.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454