Morale Patches...?

Started by dokhtsafid, November 29, 2013, 04:46:47 PM

dokhtsafid

Are morale patches allowed on our BDUs? I can't seem to find a reg on this. 

Thanks  :)

Luis R. Ramos

Look in the tables that 39-1 has. Are there any morale patches? If yes, they are allowed. If not, they are not.

Also read the ICL related to uniforms. Does it list any morale patch? Apply the same reasoning.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Garibaldi

Short answer...no. The only patches allowed on the BDU is what's listed in CAPM 39-1 or an ICL (interim change letter). Patches awarded by a NCSA are authorized, however, but morale patches are not.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

HGjunkie

A better question - What's your favorite place to get morale patches?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

TexasCadet

Quote from: HGjunkie on November 29, 2013, 06:04:20 PM
A better question - What's your favorite place to get morale patches?

I tend to get more of the "real" patches... such as a Multicam Texas flag. ::)

sarmed1

Morale patches arent allowed on military uniforms for that matter.....
"Allowed" and "not enforced" are not the same thing

Just out of curisioty, what kind of morale patches are we talking here...

mk

Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Phil Hirons, Jr.

One of my favorites. Sized to fit on the pencil / pen pocket on the flight suit sleeve.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: dokhtsafid on November 29, 2013, 04:46:47 PM

No.

THRAWN

Why? The whole multicolored uniform is a morale patch.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Storm Chaser

Morale patches are unofficial and ONLY official patches (to include authorized unit and activity patches) can be worn with the CAP uniform.

Hawk200

Quote from: dokhtsafid on November 29, 2013, 04:46:47 PM

Simple rule of thumb: If it doesn't say you can, or it specifically says you can't, then it isn't permitted. (Keep in mind, this is a rule of thumb.)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 03, 2013, 01:10:27 PM
Morale patches are unofficial and ONLY official patches (to include authorized unit and activity patches) can be worn with the CAP uniform.

Officially, anyhow. 8)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Mustang

Quote from: Phil Hirons, Jr. on November 29, 2013, 08:49:34 PM
One of my favorites. Sized to fit on the pencil / pen pocket on the flight suit sleeve.

That's some clever stuff right there.

;-)
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Walkman

I don't have a photo of mine at hand, but this is my favorite morale patch. I plan on sewing mine to my new 24hr pack at some point soon.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Walkman on December 05, 2013, 04:45:31 PM
I don't have a photo of mine at hand, but this is my favorite morale patch. I plan on sewing mine to my new 24hr pack at some point soon.

I like that! I am going to sew one on my khakis  ;)

Shuman 14

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 05, 2013, 05:31:14 PM
Quote from: Walkman on December 05, 2013, 04:45:31 PM

I like that! I am going to sew one on my khakis  ;)

Replacing the Wing Patch?  :P
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

ol'fido

I ordered three of those from Ace when he first put them out there. I gave one each to the commander and first sergeant at the ILARNG facility where we hold summer encampment. They really liked them. I still have one for myself.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

unmlobo

While morale patches are fun, they shouldn't be used on the CAP gear like 24hr pack and such.  I have a couple but they are stuck to my top of my car or a jacket I wear in civilian clothes.  Wear this on a uniform or military item you will be told to take it off.  I did this once as a young dumb Amn three years ago; never again.  I am just going to leave this link here that talks about items like this, such as KCCO. 

http://www.cadetstuff.org/you-are-only-as-sharp-as-your-creases/#more-747
Major, CAP
HI WG

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

MacGruff

Quote from: unmlobo on December 06, 2013, 12:34:27 AM
While morale patches are fun, they shouldn't be used on the CAP gear like 24hr pack and such.  I have a couple but they are stuck to my top of my car or a jacket I wear in civilian clothes.  Wear this on a uniform or military item you will be told to take it off.  I did this once as a young dumb Amn three years ago; never again.  I am just going to leave this link here that talks about items like this, such as KCCO. 

I really like this article!

UH60guy

Here's the Army Aviation not-so-secret for wearing morale patches. Velcro to your flight helmet. CAP version- I'm sure you can get some velcro tape from Wal Mart and stick it to your David Clarks for use in the aircraft. What makes this solution great is that the regs don't get into headsets, and it's done through velcro so you can easily remove it if you need to be serious (VIP transport, public relations, etc).

I'd conservatively estimate 85%* of Army pilots have (at a minimum) a fun meter pegged out on their flight helmet

*note, coincidentally, 85% of statistics are also made up on the spot.

Again, and I stress this, it really depends on the situation. Morale patches pretty much by definition are breaking regulations, or at least the spirit of them (uniformity). You really need to assess what you're doing, the situation, the appearance you present, and how you can handle the repercussions when you invariably get told to knock it off.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Pulsar

Quote from: MacGruff on December 06, 2013, 02:19:02 PM

I really like this article!

really?...I really, really, really,really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really like it and others...
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I can't find an image of my other favorite.

Mission Base (or Staff) done up in Dunkin' Donuts font & colors.

FlyTiger77

I have misplaced my "PowerPoint" ranger tab that I wore under the flap of my shoulder sleeve in Iraq.  :(
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

NIN

Quote from: UH60guy on December 06, 2013, 03:24:46 PM
Here's the Army Aviation not-so-secret for wearing morale patches. Velcro to your flight helmet. CAP version- I'm sure you can get some velcro tape from Wal Mart and stick it to your David Clarks for use in the aircraft. What makes this solution great is that the regs don't get into headsets, and it's done through velcro so you can easily remove it if you need to be serious (VIP transport, public relations, etc).

I'd conservatively estimate 85%* of Army pilots have (at a minimum) a fun meter pegged out on their flight helmet

Back in the bad old days of P/NVS-5s and "beaucoup velcro" on the SPH-4 to help hold it on or balance it out, I kept more than a few things velcro'd to the back of my bonedome.

State flag
"You call, we haul"
"Chinooks haul above all"
I even had an embroidered version of the old "He ain't heavy, he's my brother" shirt with a -47 hauling a -60 (the natural state of the UH-60 in the mid 1980s)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

I have the fun meter one in both versions (high and low).

I designed one I thought was cool, but haven't found a vendor that will make them since
they are a riff on a corporate logo.

I have to mea-culpa big-time to Ace Browning on all the grief I gave him regarding the HD-GTM patches about copyright, etc.,
though he hasn't been around since April of last year.

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=5571.0

So, mea culpa.

Quote from: Phil Hirons, Jr. on December 06, 2013, 05:32:41 PM
I can't find an image of my other favorite.

Mission Base (or Staff) done up in Dunkin' Donuts font & colors.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brad

Apparently the US National Reconnaissance Office is not adverse to the idea of off-the-wall patches, morale or actual unit-wise...

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/12/06/nothing-is-beyond-our-reach-nro-new-logo-claims/
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

TexasCadet

I have an American flag on my 24-hour pack, and I am debating on whether to put a name tape on it. While an American flag is not a morale patch, what actually defines a "morale" patch?

Eclipse

Neither a flag or a nametape, nor any other CAP insignia would be consider "morale patches" - those are generally some
sarcastic / ironic / satirical take off on a real patch, and frankly I don't really see any issue with putting whatever you
want on your gear, since it's equipment, not uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

A space shuttle crew mission patch could be looked as an "approved" morale patch.

Something that a group of you can share a common bond over, usually with a bit of humor.

The items in this thread are great examples, actually.

GroundHawg

Quote from: Eclipse on December 09, 2013, 01:59:02 AM
Neither a flag or a nametape, nor any other CAP insignia would be consider "moral patches" - those are generally some
sarcastic / ironic / satirical take off on a real patch, and frankly I don't really see any issue with putting whatever you
want on your gear, since it's equipment, not uniform.

On 12/08/13 I agreed with Eclipse. I can now retire to Belize as I know the apocalypse is upon us...

gruntmp

I really miss my "Suck Meter" patch right now!

ol'fido

I want a "Mickey Mouse Meter" patch for uniform threads. ;D

UWONGO2

Here's an example right off a guard unit's website:

http://www.161arw.ang.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/101117-F-1646D-035.jpg (sorry, this photo is HUGE, broadband definitely required)

Notice the guy on the right. Guess which airline he works for  ;)

PHall

Quote from: UWONGO2 on December 09, 2013, 09:41:20 PM
Here's an example right off a guard unit's website:

http://www.161arw.ang.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/101117-F-1646D-035.jpg (sorry, this photo is HUGE, broadband definitely required)

Notice the guy on the right. Guess which airline he works for  ;)

Well considering he's in the AZ ANG at Phoenix-Sky Harbor, it's not surprising at all.

Morale patches are banned from wear by AFI 36-2903, but that never stopped anybody in my unit.
You just have to be smart on when you wear them. ;)

sarmed1

Quote from: PHall on December 09, 2013, 10:42:25 PM

Morale patches are banned from wear by AFI 36-2903, but that never stopped anybody in my unit.
You just have to be smart on when you wear them. ;)

I know this may come as a shock to most people in CAP; but there are about as many instances and as many people that violate the US Military's uniform regulations everyday.  The somehow misguided belief that "this kinda crap wouldnt fly in the "Real Military"  is over rated.  The same BS lines are used there.
a-My commander said it was authorized and he's a Col and you're not.
b-This is how my unit does it
c-I have always wore it/wore it here/wore it this way-and no one has ever said otherwise.
d-That's more of a guideline than a rule
e-Its the field
f-This is about practical, not about parades.
g-I have a profile.

and the list goes on.....

Sorry.... just a soap box moment.  The bandwagon thought:  is you know the rules, if you break them, dont be act all hurt when you get called out on them; morale patches are no different.... (and dont get your picture in the paper while you are doing it...)

mk

sarmed1

That being said I have quite a number that come out to play depending on the situation; military or civilian...
Fun meter (both directions), BS meter (redlined), FNG, paramedic, and secret squirrel (I used to have a SG1 patch that was known to show up on occasion, but cant seem to locate it any more)

mk

Shuman 14

Quote from: sarmed1 on December 10, 2013, 12:31:31 AM
That being said I have quite a number that come out to play depending on the situation; military or civilian...
Fun meter (both directions), BS meter (redlined), FNG, paramedic, and secret squirrel (I used to have a SG1 patch that was known to show up on occasion, but cant seem to locate it any more)

mk

http://www.stitchsloft.com/loft/sg-1-patch/

There you go!  8)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

UH60guy

Nerd alert:

Though I wasn't in their unit, every now and then the other pilot in my UH-60 downrange would be from the Charlie Company "Vipers." I had a Battlestar Galactica viper pilot patch I adorned on the rear velcro of my flight helmet for such occasions.

The rest of the time, since we were in the 82nd Combat Aviation Brigade, "Pegasus," I had a Battlestar Pegasus patch on the back.

On the front, I had a NASA "meatball" logo patch given to me by a NASA WB-57 pilot and former astronaut I met while overseas. Though I wore it with pride, somehow the NASA patch never did help me get accepted into the Space Shuttle door guner or ISS death ray operator program.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Private Investigator

Quote from: UH60guy on December 10, 2013, 05:47:03 PM

On the front, I had a NASA "meatball" logo patch given to me by a NASA WB-57 pilot and former astronaut I met while overseas. Though I wore it with pride, somehow the NASA patch never did help me get accepted into the Space Shuttle door guner or ISS death ray operator program.

Everyone has a different persona while in America's Fantasyland, "Las Vegas". For some reason lots of people in Vegas always ask if I am a pilot at Nellis AFB. I always say, "no, I am an astronaut".  8)

ol'fido

Here's one that's a little obvious.

Eclipse

That's actually pretty awesome...

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

The simplest things are often the best.

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

ol'fido

NIN

I'd line one that says "Patch, Morale. 1 ea."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

ol'fido

No, this is for NIN and Stonewall.

NIN

I am SO totally ordering that.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

ol'fido

Slim

Quote from: ol'fido on December 13, 2013, 04:14:53 AM
Red Dawn - Clip 06 - WOLVERINES!

(Oddly enough) I actually prefer this version.  Filmed about 4 blocks from where I'm currently sitting.

http://youtu.be/vZfIndXiEFw

Slim