Senior Member uniform question..

Started by BrannG, June 01, 2012, 09:56:33 PM

Eclipse

Seemed like usafaux2004 was pretty clear and spot-on.

"That Others May Zoom"

NorCal21

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 16, 2012, 02:47:56 PM
The "Cadet" part of the title?

The fact that there is a SM one as well, with different requirements?

OK, but other than inferring some sort of linkage there is still no phrase in that addendum that says anything about what was, is or will be authorized for wear based on when or in what program a person earned the award, nor does it change any of the regulations. All it shows are the awards one can currently earn in a program. Not one phrase in the whole addendum seeks to make a change to regulations except for the small box on page two for SMs.

Yes, one says cadet and one says SM. And? Explain to me how those two words completely rewrite and/or change previous regulations please.

Again, to me and many others based on what I've read here, this is a discussion that is pointless. The addendum only lists awards that are currently attainable in each program. Nothing about this addendum changes any regulations save that little box on page 2.

NorCal21

In fact, after having read 39-3, and reading what CAPHQ has publicly answered on this question apparently an SM may wear all ribbons earned as a cadet except for in the milestone category which they may only wear the highest award.

"Can I wear the ribbons I earned as a cadet after I become a senior member?

Yes, some of them. For a list of the all the ribbons that may be worn by seniors including those earned as a cadet see Attachment 2 of CAPR 39-3 AWARD OF CAP MEDALS, RIBBONS, AND CERTIFICATES 7 February 2012 .

Note: The wording "only the highest cadet program ribbon earned will be worn" refers to cadet milestone awards (Curry through Spaatz). There are a number of ribbons earned as a cadet that seniors may continue to wear including the IACE and encampment ribbons. These and others are covered in various paragraphs and attachments of CAPR 39-3, Award of CAP Medals, Ribbons, and Certificates."

As for an SM wearing the cadet recruiting ribbon, there is no regulation specifically prohibiting it. The only answer I've seen even addressing this question is as follows:

"The wording "only the highest cadet program ribbon earned will be worn" refers to cadet program milestone awards (Curry through Spaatz). There are a number of ribbons earned as a cadet that seniors may continue to wear. These are covered in various paragraphs and attachments of  CAPR 39-3 AWARD OF CAP MEDALS, RIBBONS, AND CERTIFICATES 7 February 2012 .  Also see national board/NEC minutes for approval of other cadet ribbons seniors may continue to wear.

Specifically for recruiter ribbons, there are different criteria for ribbons for cadets and seniors. Specific rules are covered in Paragraph 21k of CAPR 39-3(see below). Seniors who were former cadets may count the recruits they recruited as a cadet to qualify for the senior ribbon.

Paragraph 21. Criteria for Award of Service Ribbons:
k. Recruiter Ribbons. Awarded by the unit commander to cadets and senior members in recognition of outstanding efforts to recruit new members for CAP.
(1) Cadet Ribbon. Awarded to cadets who recruit two new qualified cadets or senior members for CAP. A bronze clasp is awarded for each additional two members recruited. A silver clasp replaces five bronze clasps. Bronze clasps are not worn after the silver clasp is awarded. An additional silver clasp will be awarded for each additional 10 members recruited.
(2) Senior Ribbon. Awarded to senior members who recruit seven new qualified cadets or senior members for CAP. A bronze clasp is awarded for each additional 10 members recruited. A silver clasp replaces five bronze clasps. Bronze clasps are not worn after the silver clasp is awarded. An additional silver clasp is awarded for each additional 50 members recruited. Members recruited as a cadet may be included in determining entitlement in the case of senior members who were former cadets."

This answer doesn't address an SM wearing a cadet ribbon he's earned while a cadet. It only states the differences between the requirements for awarding of the cadet and the senior recruiting ribbon. As this answer from CAPHQ does not specifically disallow the wearing of a cadet recruiting ribbon by a senior member, than it falls under the first answer above stating an SM may wear ribbons earned as a cadet.

Eclipse

The Cadet Recruiter ribbon is an award which may only be received by cadets, therefore is does, in fact fall under the highest cadet award criteria.

As it will never be the highest award a cadet will achieve, it may not be worn by cadets who transition to senior.

Quote from: NorCal21 on July 01, 2012, 07:32:11 PM
This answer doesn't address an SM wearing a cadet ribbon he's earned while a cadet.

It doesn't need to as that is addressed specifically elsewhere.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

QuoteSpecifically for recruiter ribbons, there are different criteria for ribbons for cadets and seniors. Specific rules are covered in Paragraph 21k of CAPR 39-3(see below). Seniors who were former cadets may count the recruits they recruited as a cadet to qualify for the senior ribbon.

That seems specific enough to me.

NorCal21

Quote from: Eclipse on July 01, 2012, 07:34:37 PM
The Cadet Recruiter ribbon is an award which may only be received by cadets, therefore is does, in fact fall under the highest cadet award criteria.

As it will never be the highest award a cadet will achieve, it may not be worn by cadets who transition to senior.

This answer doesn't address an SM wearing a cadet ribbon he's earned while a cadet.

OK. I probably missed it somewhere. I start to zone out after reading the bickering you know?! haha

Private Investigator

Quote from: NorCal21 on December 29, 2012, 06:45:49 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 01, 2012, 07:34:37 PM

OK. I probably missed it somewhere. I start to zone out after reading the bickering you know?! haha

You zone out about six months ago, but welcome back   ::)