SER National Commander's Unit Citation Does anyone know correct dates?

Started by MarkJ, August 25, 2011, 06:03:53 PM

starshippe

that seems to explain everything.
   congrats on ur efforts and the recognition.

bill

JeffDG

Quote from: Thom on November 13, 2011, 01:44:06 AM
Quote from: starshippe on November 12, 2011, 07:02:51 PM
   again, if this was for dwh, the dates should have been in 2010. but, dwh lasted later than june.

bill

For this year, I'm not sure what the SER folks were doing, but from April to June I know that LA Wing, MO Wing, SD Wing, etc. were dealing with the Mississippi River Flooding missions.

We worked our behinds off on that mission, and it was a very rewarding moment to receive the NCUC for our hard work.

Thom
TNWG was on the Mississippi flooding too.

starshippe

this from ms susie parker at nhq....

They were for Deepwater Horizon and the dates covered were 1 Apr – 30 Jun 2010.  It was given in 2011 at the NB and there could have been a typo on the orders.  I'm checking that now but it was definitely for the activities of Deepwater Horizon.

SUSAN P. PARKER

CAP National Headquarters

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 18, 2011, 06:09:17 PM
Is it really that hard to get a copy of the authorization?

Seriously.

Processed properly, there should be a certificate (somewhere), a CAPF120, and possibly a PA.
Considering the nature of the award, and how these kinds of things are challenged, I would not
wear the ribbon or attachment until I had a copy of the PA in my hand.

"That Others May Zoom"

DBlair

Quote from: Eclipse on November 18, 2011, 06:24:19 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 18, 2011, 06:09:17 PM
Is it really that hard to get a copy of the authorization?

Seriously.

Processed properly, there should be a certificate (somewhere), a CAPF120, and possibly a PA.
Considering the nature of the award, and how these kinds of things are challenged, I would not
wear the ribbon or attachment until I had a copy of the PA in my hand.

Who should we contact for a copy of the actual paperwork. It seems this was mentioned in CAP Volunteer as "Florida Wing" (presuming wing-wide), but I haven't heard anything about this on the FLWG side of things. Before buying/wearing the ribbon, I'd like to be sure it was actually awarded as many of us assume, to all of FLWG.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Eclipse

You commander.  One would think that at a minimum the 120's were forwarded to the wing CC's for downstream distribution.

"That Others May Zoom"

DBlair

Quote from: Eclipse on November 18, 2011, 07:17:43 PM
You commander.  One would think that at a minimum the 120's were forwarded to the wing CC's for downstream distribution.

I'm at the Wing echelon, so I'm guessing Wing/CC or Wing/DP would probably have some info about this, but it seems there has not been any mention as of yet.

Eclipse

Quote from: DBlair on November 18, 2011, 07:41:28 PM

I'm at the Wing echelon, so I'm guessing Wing/CC or Wing/DP would probably have some info about this, but it seems there has not been any mention as of yet.

Time to ask.  No paper, it didn't happen.

"That Others May Zoom"

DBlair

Quote from: Eclipse on November 18, 2011, 08:01:08 PM

Time to ask.  No paper, it didn't happen.

Agreed.

brenaud

Yes, I'd think your wing should've received a personnel action (it's not the actual 120) from National.  I know TN Wing did.  It simply states that the National Commander's Unit Citation Award is awarded to...(fill in a bit more text + dates)...and has a list of Wings.  Florida is one that's listed.  I don't have the first page of the action so I can't give you a date range, but the award is effective 20 Aug 11 so it's been since that time.
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699

DBlair

Quote from: brenaud on November 19, 2011, 09:24:25 PM

Yes, I'd think your wing should've received a personnel action (it's not the actual 120) from National.  I know TN Wing did.  It simply states that the National Commander's Unit Citation Award is awarded to...(fill in a bit more text + dates)...and has a list of Wings.  Florida is one that's listed.  I don't have the first page of the action so I can't give you a date range, but the award is effective 20 Aug 11 so it's been since that time.

I just received a response from Wing Hq and it seems that while being awarded the NCUC is known, the information was never actually disseminated to FLWG.

starshippe

so........

its common knowledge that an ncuc was awarded to ser members. actually i heard there were two ncuc's, one to ser for dwh, and one to other wings for the floods, but a possible typo error confused the issue a bit.

anyway, as far as the documentation that i should have in my personnel folder, in order to substantiate my ribbon...

is a copy of the national pa ok, or do i need a letter from georgia wing? do they need to validate their members for that time frame, or can they just send a copy of the national pa?

but.... at this time the national pa may have the date typo. so, although it will work for me, having been a member for both of the time frames, it would not work for others.

sigh.

bill

brenaud

Quote from: starshippe on November 21, 2011, 03:40:42 PM
   is a copy of the national pa ok, or do i need a letter from georgia wing? do they need to validate their members for that time frame, or can they just send a copy of the national pa?

While I can only really speak for what I would expect to see in Group 1 of TN Wing (so no warranties expressed or implied, your mileage may vary, warranty not valid if tag removed, etc.), your personnel records in e-Services should be sufficient documentation for you being a member of the Wing during the time in question.  The letter from NHQ should suffice (it does for me as a personnel officer) as it's an official announcement from the echelon that approved the award.  If you look in 39-3, it makes reference to certain awards being announced in published personnel actions from NHQ.  I consider this to fall in with that.  At the very least, your chain of command could confirm this. 

but.... at this time the national pa may have the date typo. so, although it will work for me, having been a member for both of the time frames, it would not work for others.

sigh.

bill

True.  Perhaps a correction will be forthcoming.
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699

DBlair

so........

its common knowledge that an ncuc was awarded to ser members. actually i heard there were two ncuc's, one to ser for dwh, and one to other wings for the floods, but a possible typo error confused the issue a bit.

anyway, as far as the documentation that i should have in my personnel folder, in order to substantiate my ribbon...

sigh.

bill

Do you have a copy of National's PA available to you?

If so, this seems to be exactly the paperwork FLWG is seeking, as I heard that FL hasn't yet received *any* paperwork for it.

Eclipse

Anyone still question why there is a process to these things and dotting the "i's" is important?

At a minimum someone should have taken the time to forward the PA to every member who is covered. No one should have to guess.

"That Others May Zoom"

DBlair

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2011, 06:34:41 PM
Anyone still question why there is a process to these things and dotting the "i's" is important?

At a minimum someone should have taken the time to forward the PA to every member who is covered. No one should have to guess.

In the past, this seems to be what was done, but with this award, it seems there was a break in the communication chain-- specifically, in sending the PA to the Wings.

SarDragon

When CAWG got one for Challenger, we were given a copy of the PA from NHQ. I generated a supplemental PA that listed all members of the unit during the time frame. Each person got a copy of both PAs in their F66/F45. Problem solved.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

What I've seen is an excerpt from a PA (actually the last page, signed. with the specific award referenced), including the award to my wing.  That was distributed (from my reading of the e-mail) to Group & Squadron commanders, and cc'd to the Wing Staff.  Distribution below that level is the responsibility of the commanders (group and squadrons) involved. 

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on November 21, 2011, 08:35:30 PM
When CAWG got one for Challenger, we were given a copy of the PA from NHQ. I generated a supplemental PA that listed all members of the unit during the time frame. Each person got a copy of both PAs in their F66/F45. Problem solved.

The Katrina and KY PA's, all called out those presented by name, and each person got a copy.

"That Others May Zoom"