Main Menu

Kilt

Started by Persona non grata, June 29, 2011, 08:25:50 PM

titanII

Quote from: CyBorg on June 29, 2011, 09:37:27 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on June 29, 2011, 09:10:58 PM
Quote from: titanII on June 29, 2011, 09:09:11 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on June 29, 2011, 09:05:57 PM
Maybe it's the Canadian in me, but that should be uniform for Honour Guards.
I think you meant honor ;D :P
Nope...I also pronounce the "f" in Lieutenant.

As is correct.  Our northern neighbour is among the many English-speaking nations using The Queen's English spelling and pronunciation.
Yeah... I know. I was kidding around/ trying to be sarcastic. It wont happen again. :P
No longer active on CAP talk

cap235629

Quote from: eaker.cadet on June 30, 2011, 02:33:49 AM
Quote from: ColonelJack on June 30, 2011, 02:20:03 AM
Well ... knowing in advance that I'll get flamed (somewhat) for it ... let me show you at least what a kilt and mess dress looks like.

(Note:  Since this picture was taken in 2009, I've lost a lot more weight.  I'd started my diet six months prior to this, when I weighed 300 pounds ... I was down to "uniform size" by this time, but had more to go -- and now weigh 175.)

Jack

Very classy Sir, my hat is off to you.  Where might I find a good kilt for a good price?

HERE
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

sab163

Quote from: eaker.cadet on June 30, 2011, 01:05:25 AM
I would wear the grey and whites if I can wear a KILT with it....no joke

But what Tartan would be worn? Family or AF?

Persona non grata

We need to create a CAP one...........I will look at the registry of TARTANS. No worries to the corporate officers, I wont sign anything
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

GTCommando

There was a certain higher-ranking SM at the 2009 OHWG encampment that wore a three-color DCU-type kilt and played bagpipes on the way to reveille. It was a great morale boost, although I wonder if anyone gathered any photographic evidence...  :o ;D
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

vento

Quote from: eaker.cadet on June 30, 2011, 02:56:35 AM
We need to create a CAP one...........I will look at the registry of TARTANS. No worries to the corporate officers, I wont sign anything

Make sure to include (sublimally) the triangle thingy and then some at HQ will simply love you.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: vento on June 30, 2011, 03:30:13 PM
Make sure to include (sublimally) the triangle thingy and then some at HQ will simply love you.

Even more so if you make sure it's in shades of grey and white and no blue is used. >:D

The red would have to go, of course, but there's a Tam O' Shanter to complete.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Persona non grata

Quote from: CyBorg on June 30, 2011, 04:55:40 PM
Quote from: vento on June 30, 2011, 03:30:13 PM

Even more so if you make sure it's in shades of grey and white and no blue is used. >:D

The red would have to go, of course, but there's a Tam O' Shanter to complete.

I think RADIOMAN would like and approve  the red so lets keep it. 
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Rowan

Well ... knowing in advance that I'll get flamed (somewhat) for it ... let me show you at least what a kilt and mess dress looks like.

(Note:  Since this picture was taken in 2009, I've lost a lot more weight.  I'd started my diet six months prior to this, when I weighed 300 pounds ... I was down to "uniform size" by this time, but had more to go -- and now weigh 175.)

Jack

Was this photo taken at the SMHG Sponsors' Reception?  I'm there, every year!

ColonelJack

Quote from: Rowan on June 30, 2011, 07:24:42 PM

Jack

Was this photo taken at the SMHG Sponsors' Reception?  I'm there, every year!

No but you're close.  It was taken at the SMHG Tartan Ball, sponsored by the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society.  I'm there every year too!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Dad2-4

Look up the following tartans:
Douglas Grey Ancient
Douglas Grey Modern (I like this one)
Grey Granite
Patriot Weathered

GroundHawg

I still wear a kilt quite a bit, though it used to be much more when I was still competing in highland games. I am a USCG Aux as well and proudly serve with the USCG Pipe Band. We do not distinguish between Active, Reserve and Auxiliarists. I would love to see CAP get an official Tartan registered, and make it a uniform option.

ColonelJack

Quote from: sab163 on June 30, 2011, 02:54:10 AM

In my case, I either wear my clan tartan (MacDonald) or a relatively generic tartan such as Flower of Scotland or -- when I'm feeling rather regal -- the Stewart.  (My ancestors came from both MacDonald and Stewart clans, but the connection is stronger on the MacDonald side.)  That said, I would love to have a kilt in AF tartan!  (And there is one, you know.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

lordmonar

I don't see a problem.

No different then someone wearing WWII CAP uniforms to a wing/region/national conference banquet.

Kind of cool, if done with taste and kept to only special occasions.

Wearing to the SAREX or the squadron meeting......that would be a no go.

YMMV.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

cap235629

Quote from: ColonelJack on July 04, 2011, 03:03:55 PM
Quote from: sab163 on June 30, 2011, 02:54:10 AM

In my case, I either wear my clan tartan (MacDonald) or a relatively generic tartan such as Flower of Scotland or -- when I'm feeling rather regal -- the Stewart.  (My ancestors came from both MacDonald and Stewart clans, but the connection is stronger on the MacDonald side.)  That said, I would love to have a kilt in AF tartan!  (And there is one, you know.)

Jack

Sport Kilts has the AF Tartan at an affordable price
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

JBC

The answer to the kilt question can be answered on a certain mountain in Pennsylvania. At hawk, I saw kilts worn on skit night. Why? I have no idea?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JBC on July 26, 2011, 11:05:33 PM
The answer to the kilt question can be answered on a certain mountain in Pennsylvania. At hawk, I saw kilts worn on skit night. Why? I have no idea?

I think you're going to have to broaden your horizons a bit.

CAP does not begin and end at Hawk Mountain.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Hawk200

Quote from: CyBorg on July 27, 2011, 01:26:00 AM
Quote from: JBC on July 26, 2011, 11:05:33 PM

I think you're going to have to broaden your horizons a bit.

CAP does not begin and end at Hawk Mountain.
No kidding. Yeesh.

Eclipse

I'm trying to figure out which question was answered.

it answers a few for me, but probably not the same ones.

"That Others May Zoom"

fyrfitrmedic

Is there some kind of contest afoot to see how many threads can be hijacked and borged into "let's whine about HMRS" threads?
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn