Main Menu

Kilt

Started by Persona non grata, June 29, 2011, 08:25:50 PM

Persona non grata

I mentioned the KILT in another thread,just curious has any person here seen a person wear a KILT with a CAP uniform? I know its not authorized but I have seen many unauthorized  things in CAP when it comes to uniforms.  I remember a officer at NSC who wore a kilt at the graduation diner but did not wear any CAP uniform articles with it.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

titanII

I know that the military and police departments have bagpipe "groups" (for lack of a better term) that wear kilts for special ceremonies, etc when/where they're playing bagpipes. But to my knowledge there is nothing like that in CAP. maybe the guy was just wearing a kilt to, you know, wear a kilt :o ;D
No longer active on CAP talk

Ned

I might have seen such a thing, but since it is not authorized I'm having a little trouble remembering exactly.   8)

As a member if The Scottish-American Military Society, I spend a fair amount of time in a uniform that includes a kilt. 

Although it would be wrong, if someone were determined to wear a kilt in direct violation of the regulations, I would recommend one of the USAF Tartans or even a USAF Tartan SportKilt.

Looks pretty spiffy in the USAF Uniform:

Just sayin'

Ned Lee

JeffDG

Quote from: Ned on June 29, 2011, 08:39:50 PM
I might have seen such a thing, but since it is not authorized I'm having a little trouble remembering exactly.   8)

As a member if The Scottish-American Military Society, I spend a fair amount of time in a uniform that includes a kilt. 

Although it would be wrong, if someone were determined to wear a kilt in direct violation of the regulations, I would recommend one of the USAF Tartans or even a USAF Tartan SportKilt.

Looks pretty spiffy in the USAF Uniform:

Just sayin'

Ned Lee
Maybe it's the Canadian in me, but that should be uniform for Honour Guards.

What kind of band doesn't have bagpipes????? >:D

titanII

Quote from: JeffDG on June 29, 2011, 09:05:57 PM
I think you meant honor ;D :P
No longer active on CAP talk

JeffDG

Quote from: titanII on June 29, 2011, 09:09:11 PM
Nope...I also pronounce the "f" in Lieutenant.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JeffDG on June 29, 2011, 09:10:58 PM
Quote from: titanII on June 29, 2011, 09:09:11 PM

As is correct.  Our northern neighbour is among the many English-speaking nations using The Queen's English spelling and pronunciation.  Thanks to Noah Webster, we are the only ones who do not, at least officially.

Even units far away from Bonnie Scotland wear the kilt, as shown by this Australian "Digger" of the Victorian Scottish Regiment.

I've seen kilts on the Army and Air Force elements of the Canadian Armed Forces, but not the Naval element.

Ned's picture is very sharp.

I am not sure if CAP are allowed to wear kilts, based on 39-1 I'd say not, but can you imagine the kerfuffle with kilt designs for AF v. grey/whites, and how some wag would try to fit that into the "low-light/at-a-distance" bunkum?  And, of course, no shade of blue would be allowed.

I'm Ulster-Scots on my mother's side so I'd be all for a CAP kilt. ;D
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cap235629

in another thread we discussed the Tew-Mac Composite Squadron Color Guard from MAWG. In the 80's they wore the AF Tartan Kilt and flashes in a modified CAP uniform.  The uniform and squadron are both long gone.....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Major Lord

Well, if Jews can wear their Yarmulkes in uniform, then no one can deny my religious right as a (reform) Druid to wear my Kilt with Mess Dress. You may or may not be surprised how often  total strangers will ask if you are dressing "regimental" ( sans undergarments)

Also, the RCAF has authorized our squadron Color Guard to wear their Tartan ( for RCAF functions) if we are so inclined, but  no one has had the guts to push things that far!

Major Lord
Of the ClanRanald
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

sab163

in the early 90's Brockton Squadron had a pipe band and wore the kilts with from what i could see the aviator shirt not the blue AF shirt.

Dad2-4

Quote from: Major Lord on June 29, 2011, 10:53:32 PM
Well, if Jews can wear their Yarmulkes in uniform, then no one can deny my religious right as a (reform) Druid to wear my Kilt with Mess Dress.
Major Lord
Of the ClanRanald
Given that yarmulkes are a required piece of clothing for devout jews, I can't find any information that kilts are a required clothing item for druids of any ilk.
As a former member of a Scottish heritage society and a pipe band, I too am amazed at the number of total strangers who would ask about the presence of my underwear while wearing a kilt.  :o

brenaud

Quote from: eaker.cadet on June 29, 2011, 08:25:50 PM
I remember a officer at NSC who wore a kilt at the graduation diner but did not wear any CAP uniform articles with it.
Ahh, did you go in 2009?  If so, I remember the same person.  I interpreted it as falling under "civilian formal attire".

Quote from: JeffDG on June 29, 2011, 09:10:58 PM
As if anyone would doubt it, I can verify this.
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699

nesagsar

I wonder if a particular high ranking senior member is still on staff at NESA...

ol'fido

Well, if Jews can wear their Yarmulkes in uniform, then no one can deny my religious right as a (reform) Druid to wear my Kilt with Mess Dress. You may or may not be surprised how often  total strangers will ask if you are dressing "regimental" ( sans undergarments)

Also, the RCAF has authorized our squadron Color Guard to wear their Tartan ( for RCAF functions) if we are so inclined, but  no one has had the guts to push things that far!

Major Lord
Of the ClanRanald
Not many people are aware that Reform Druids can worship bushes as well as trees....and wear kilts. ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Persona non grata

I would wear the grey and whites if I can wear a KILT with it....no joke

Major Lord

Quote from: ol'fido on June 29, 2011, 11:54:39 PM

Major Lord
Of the ClanRanald
Not many people are aware that Reform Druids can worship bushes as well as trees....and wear kilts. ;D

Yes, I had to go to the Reform Druids when I found out that the Hasidic Druids are still doing "Burning man" the old fashioned way........darn it, I just had to draw the line at human sacrifice! And as to those who can't find the kilt requirement in the Druidic version of the 39-1, you would have to be able to read ancient Celt, and you won't find that one in the "Rosetta Stone" DVD library! ( Yes, I know ancient Celts did not actually wear Kilts, but who said religious practices have to be sensible?)

I suggest that we plan to have a CAP uniform/Kilt "Flash Mob" at the next National Conference.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

ColonelJack

Well ... knowing in advance that I'll get flamed (somewhat) for it ... let me show you at least what a kilt and mess dress looks like.

(Note:  Since this picture was taken in 2009, I've lost a lot more weight.  I'd started my diet six months prior to this, when I weighed 300 pounds ... I was down to "uniform size" by this time, but had more to go -- and now weigh 175.)

Jack

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

davidsinn

Quote from: Major Lord on June 30, 2011, 02:10:53 AM

I suggest that we plan to have a CAP uniform/Kilt "Flash Mob" at the next National Conference.

Can we please for the love of Mike skip the red part? ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Persona non grata

Quote from: Major Lord on June 30, 2011, 02:10:53 AM
Quote from: ol'fido on June 29, 2011, 11:54:39 PM

Major Lord
Of the ClanRanald

Yes, I had to go to the Reform Druids when I found out that the Hasidic Druids are still doing "Burning man" the old fashioned way........darn it, I just had to draw the line at human sacrifice! And as to those who can't find the kilt requirement in the Druidic version of the 39-1, you would have to be able to read ancient Celt, and you won't find that one in the "Rosetta Stone" DVD library! ( Yes, I know ancient Celts did not actually wear Kilts, but who said religious practices have to be sensible?)

Major Lord

Im game

Persona non grata

Quote from: ColonelJack on June 30, 2011, 02:20:03 AM
Well ... knowing in advance that I'll get flamed (somewhat) for it ... let me show you at least what a kilt and mess dress looks like.

(Note:  Since this picture was taken in 2009, I've lost a lot more weight.  I'd started my diet six months prior to this, when I weighed 300 pounds ... I was down to "uniform size" by this time, but had more to go -- and now weigh 175.)

Jack

Very classy Sir, my hat is off to you.  Where might I find a good kilt for a good price?