If this doesn't say good things...

Started by Spaceman3750, September 11, 2012, 03:06:35 AM

Spaceman3750

This weekend one squadron in my group was lucky enough to get some of the last drops of o-flight money before we turn into a pumpkin :). After flying 5 happy cadets, the 6th and final flight encountered an MX problem (electrical/alternator failure) and the plane became unflyable for the night. Oh, the pilot was a 1.5hr flight from home or a 4 hour drive.

The pilot became an innocent bystander in the fact that he was stuck hours from home. As he put it - "now it's up to the other folks to do their jobs and help me get home". And they did.

The fact that the pilot was able to rely on his fellow volunteers to get him un-stuck from a situation he had no control over, on a few hours notice, speaks volumes for this organization, in my opinion. That is what sets us apart from the rest.

Just wanted to share a nice story :). Then again, maybe I'm a softie.

manfredvonrichthofen

AWESOME, nothing else, and nothing short of a sense of brotherhood would get someone home four hours away at a moment notice.

denverpilot

I've been in rental clubs that'd happily send out a CFI to rescue anyone stuck somewhere, and every glider club on the planet has contingency plans for landing out.

So I wouldn't get too sappy about brotherhood. It's nice that we'd all do it for free, but most good rental places would too.

They have to send someone Commercially rated, since the FAA says flight time is compensation.