ES Records Retention

Started by Eclipse, January 28, 2012, 04:00:06 PM

Eclipse

Anyone have a cite on the requirement to keep ES records?

I'm referring to mission packets like 109's, 106's, comm logs, 211's, etc.  I had thought it would be in the CI guide, but I'm not finding it quickly.

We're thinking 3-4 (fiscal) years, and we know finance is 7.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Found it - 60-3, Page 15. 

4 years.

Wing DO says it's based on Fiscal year.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

That should be modified to require longer retention on missions where the target was not found.  I believe AFRCC started doing something like that after Fossett and quite frankly CAP's records would be much more useful as a basis for followup than anything AFRCC might have. 

sardak

It's at least 4 years, based on the fiscal year, "except where they are involved in actual or potential litigation and then they will be retained until that issue is resolved." This is also reflected in CAPR 10-2 Files Maintenance and Records Disposition" which gives the annual cutoff date as September 30.

AFRCC kept the Fossett records as a CYA. It also declared the records exempt from FOIA (probably all mission records, not just Fossett). The contractor which developed the Coast Guard's SAROPS SAR planning tool wanted to use the search records to see how SAROPS would handle the search. The records weren't released to the contractor so it asked the Fossetts and Hiltons for all their records. The families gave them to the contractor which used them in the analysis.

Along those same lines, from CAPR 60-3, "No mission records will be released outside CAP without prior written approval of NHQ CAP/GC and HQ CAP-USAF/JA."

Quotewe know finance is 7.
Per CAPR 10-2 Table 6, finance records are either 3 or 4 years with the disclaimer about keeping them longer "If any litigation, claim or audit..."

Mike