Main Menu

18" ruler

Started by Picy3, June 12, 2018, 08:29:09 AM

Picy3

So I've been wondering this for a few months now, on our encampment packing list there is "18' ruler" on it. Now as I think you all will know, most rulers have 12 inches on them. :o So why, may I ask, is this there? I have asked multiple people who have been to encampment before and they have all said they never needed more then 12 inches on the ruler and they have never brought a 18' one (or well, you know, been told off for not having one)

I have no idea if this is just our encampment but it seemed to me like just another thing to spend more money on. >:(
So yeah I'm just wondering why we would have a need for anything larger then a 12' one. ???

Should I get one or would a normal one be fine?????

:redx:
Cadet Second Lieutenant who finally passed his Mitchell.

Rocketry badge, GTM3 badge, Solo Wings at a National Flight Academy, Encampment Cadre and two+ years of CAP in all its greatness.
DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV
Alpha Flight Commander - 2019 ACIV

EMT-83

Cut a yardstick in half.

Most people get by with a 12 inch ruler, but my son was pretty popular with his yardstick!

THRAWN

Quote from: Picy3 on June 12, 2018, 08:29:09 AM
So I've been wondering this for a few months now, on our encampment packing list there is "18' ruler" on it. Now as I think you all will know, most rulers have 12 inches on them. :o So why, may I ask, is this there? I have asked multiple people who have been to encampment before and they have all said they never needed more then 12 inches on the ruler and they have never brought a 18' one (or well, you know, been told off for not having one)

I have no idea if this is just our encampment but it seemed to me like just another thing to spend more money on. >:(
So yeah I'm just wondering why we would have a need for anything larger then a 12' one. ???

Have you asked the encampment staff?

https://www.amazon.com/Westcott-Plastic-Centering-18-Inch-Ruler/dp/B000XAOUYY
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

kwe1009

Quote from: THRAWN on June 12, 2018, 12:18:31 PM

Have you asked the encampment staff?

https://www.amazon.com/Westcott-Plastic-Centering-18-Inch-Ruler/dp/B000XAOUYY

Exactly, the only people who can give you the correct answer on why you need to bring an 18 inch ruler is your encampment staff.  Anything you read here will be just a guess.

I_Am_Twigs

C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

Eclipse

^ That's the reasoning, though bear in mind there's no "standard" bunk or rack, so it's all local.

Amazon, Dollar Tree, or Home depot should be able to hook you up.  If you cut a yardstick, make sure the
end is clean.

"That Others May Zoom"

I_Am_Twigs

Yes, Eclipse is right, there is no standard way of making a rack. Some encampments don't use sheets. At my two previous encampments most everyone has used sleeping bags, all we have to do with those is to neatly roll them up and the end of the rack.
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

Eclipse

^ Wow - talk about a time and hassle saver  ((*jots*)).

Also these, think I'll be makign a trip to IKEA next year...

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on June 12, 2018, 04:31:04 PM
^ Wow - talk about a time and hassle saver  ((*jots*)).

Also these, think I'll be makign a trip to IKEA next year...

A tape measure is USELESS when you're making Hospital Corners.  Which is one of the uses for the 18 inch ruler.

Eclipse

That's what the DUCT TAPE is for.  Sheesh NEWBS!

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on June 13, 2018, 03:38:09 PM
That's what the DUCT TAPE is for.  Sheesh NEWBS!

So how exactly do you use DUCT TAPE as a straight edge. Tape is rather flexible.

Eclipse

OK, that's two in two days.  ((*sigh*))

Not every encampment utilizes hospital corners in making their bunks / racks.

Not every post on CT is a challenge to knowledge / experience / ability.  Some are just jokes.

"That Others May Zoom"

Offutteer

I used a hanger as a straight edge for hospital corners.

THRAWN

35+ years of hospital corners and never used a ruler. Who knew? I'll have to give it a shot.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SarDragon

Quote from: THRAWN on June 13, 2018, 07:58:21 PM
35+ years of hospital corners and never used a ruler. Who knew? I'll have to give it a shot.
Same here. Having two parents who had been in the Navy was all I needed.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on June 13, 2018, 08:02:46 PM

At the RTC, a canteen is much more important for making a rack then a ruler, though the major complaint this
year was that the new-style mattresses don't hold the sheets as well as the older ones, too slippery.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Canteen? We didn't get no stinking canteens.

How does one use a canteen to accomplish hospital corners?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Holding Pattern

So I've been wondering this for a few months now, on our encampment packing list there is "18' ruler" on it.

I'd be concerned about an 18 foot ruler as well.

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on June 13, 2018, 08:22:44 PM

The quick answer is that you use it to hold the mattress up, and sheets in place when you're folding,
but it more complicated / easier then that - when you see it, you're like "of course!".

I have a video of a PO making one (before the recently changed style where the blanket is folded
instead of on top of the sheets), but it's not released for public use (I also have to find it).

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Holding Pattern on June 13, 2018, 09:35:34 PM
So I've been wondering this for a few months now, on our encampment packing list there is "18' ruler" on it.

I'd be concerned about an 18 foot ruler as well.

So, you're saying you DON'T do pole vaulting at your encampments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on June 14, 2018, 03:58:33 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on June 13, 2018, 08:22:44 PM

The quick answer is that you use it to hold the mattress up, and sheets in place when you're folding,
but it more complicated / easier then that - when you see it, you're like "of course!".

I have a video of a PO making one (before the recently changed style where the blanket is folded
instead of on top of the sheets), but it's not released for public use (I also have to find it).
Those are a piece of cake to make! Y'all have four side access. Try it with one side access, and three high.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Did hospital corners for three years.

Piece of cake.

Tie ends of sheet with square knots. Push mattress trough. Tuck sheet over mattress end tautly. Why are ya making it look difficult? 
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on June 13, 2018, 08:20:14 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on June 13, 2018, 08:02:46 PM

At the RTC, a canteen is much more important for making a rack then a ruler, though the major complaint this
year was that the new-style mattresses don't hold the sheets as well as the older ones, too slippery.

The new boot camp mattresses are nylon, and, therefore, don't hold well.

You're taught during training that "everyone understands this," and then you find out during inspections that this is an excuse to see who slacks and doesn't put the effort in.