Should retake CLC
1 (1.4%)
Should retake both SLS and CLC
12 (16.2%)
Should not retake either
61 (82.4%)

Total Members Voted: 74

RiverAux

As some have noted here, but I don't think many understand, SLS and CLC have been significantly retooled from the old days when they were basically mirror images of each other and just talked through the duties of each staff officer. 

Here is what the new SLS is:
Quote1.   Preliminaries

1.1   Welcome to Squadron Leadership School      
   1.2   Course Critique & Graduation         
2.   Volunteer Service
Block Objective:  Understand the basic expectations associated with being a CAP officer; commit to serving as a staff officer
2.1   Officership & The Public Trust            
2.2   Introduction to Professional Development      

3.   The Role of the Squadron & Its Staff
Block Objective:  Develop an appreciation for the essential role squadrons play in CAP; acquire practical knowledge necessary for serving as a squadron staff officer.
   3.1   Squadrons: The Heart of CAP         
   3.2   Squadron Staff Officers         
   3.3   Individualized Training in Staff Specialties         

4.   Foundation for Leadership
Block Objective:  Comprehend the leadership attitudes and skills necessary for serving effectively as a squadron staff officer.
   4.1   Introduction to Leadership            4.2   The Staff Officer as Communicator         4.3   Creative Thinking & Problem Solving         
And this is the new CLC:
QuoteLesson   2.1  Why CAP       
Lesson   2.2  Core Values in Action
Lesson   2.3  Resources at Work 
Lesson   2.4  Structure, Purpose &  Procedures Lesson   
2.5  The CAP/USAF Relationship
Lesson   3.1  Broadening Horizons
Lesson   3.2  Introduction to Teamwork
Lesson   3.3  The Heart of a Volunteer
Lesson   3.4  Management Principles 
Lesson   3.5  Planning & Decision Making
Lesson   3.6  Best Practices Lesson   3.7  Mentoring

Shouldn't the old fuddy duddies be exposed to this stuff?

lordmonar

Why mandate retaking the courses?

Courses like this are "supposed" to teach someone with little or no knowledge of the subject and get them up to speed.

If the subject changes those currently practicing in that subject area are expected to stay abreast of those changes.

Scientific knowledge changes very rapidly...but we don't tell professional chemists to go back to college because they re-wrote the Chem 101 syllabus.

Now if you would come up with some sort of "filler training" for those who already have SLS, CLC, etc....to help them keep abreast of those changes....that would be a horse of a different color.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

I am of two minds on this.

The new curriculum is excellent, and is far from the "death by Powerpoint" (or worse)  that the old one was, so I strongly encourage my members to take the new classes, but it should not be required.

I was in favor of members doing the old way more than once, preferably at different venues, but not as a requirement.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

QuoteWhy mandate retaking the courses?

Courses like this are "supposed" to teach someone with little or no knowledge of the subject and get them up to speed.

My personal opinion is that it probably wouldn't be necessary to redo all of SLS as some of it is stuff that most experienced CAP officers should have picked up.  However, the CLC material would be new material for just about everybody. 

I would remind those of you voting not to redo either that the new courses are teaching the sort of thing that most people on CAPTalk whine about all the time, leadership, principles, etc. 

SamFranklin

In CAP, especially on this board, I believe people too often view ideas through a rules-based mindset. The original question was:   Should [veteran members] be exposed to the [new courses]?

Words like "requirement" and "mandate" were quickly introduced to the thread.

And as I write, 80% of voters are saying members "should not retake" either course.  I'm guessing those voters are NOT saying veteran members better stay away from the courses. Rather, they're probably saying they don't want to see graduates of the old courses "required" to attend the new courses.

Surely, no one would object if a veteran member stopped by SLS one day to see what the new program was all about.  And no one would object if a unit commander encouraged veteran members to voluntarily attend the revamped programs.

So here's my main point:  Isn't it funny that in discussing a VOLUNTEER organization, people quickly turn to a vocabulary of compliance? Am I mistaken in how this thread took a straightforward question and turned it into a policy issue, a Do This or You'll Be Punished issue?

No offense to those who have posted already, but I submit this thread as Exhibit A in why CAP-Talk (and to a lesser extent, CAP as a whole) has an understanding backward of volunteerism.

Nothing in CAP's professional development program is ever required. Ever.  But for those who participate in the program, CAP says thanks by presenting them with awards.  It's not the other way around.

mikeylikey

Are these new courses up on the web?  Am I just missing them??

I would love to see what
Quote2.1   Officership & The Public Trust
is all about. 

What's up monkeys?

Short Field

Yes, both are on eServices. 

I was the course director for both of the new courses this year and think they are great improvements over the previous courses.   With just a little time and effort, an instructor can look really good and get all the key points across.   Having said that, I watched two experienced members totally butcher their classes.   >:(

Members should always have the option of re-attending any of the local courses we teach.  But do they need it?  It would depend on the person.  There was nothing new in the management stuff (several were direct take-offs of previous leadership and management classes I have taken) and the CAP stuff was fairly old hat if you have been active in your unit.

New members who haven't taken it - different story.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Eclipse

Also, define "required".

Its easy enough to make people redo things in ES because those quals expire as a matter of course, but grade and PD levels don't.

So what would you do with LIII / Majors? Demote them if they don't retake?  I suppose you could stall their LIV and Lt. Col., but not only is that gonna be a lead balloon, it won't mean much to those who already have clusters and birds.

What you'd wind up with is pressing hard (again) on the newer guys who probably just completed the class at the cost of a weekend.

As I said, it is what it is, encourage refreshers, but not require.

Another way to get the BTDT's involved is as instructors and directors, with encouragement for them to sit in on classes they are not teaching.  We had people do that in January.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Magoo....you must not read this board all that often.

Take a look at all the professional vs volunteer arguments that go on...and our number one complain is compliance with published regulations.

We may be volunteers but we still have regs and mandates and requirements.

We use mandates, regulations and requirments to maintain our professionalism.  (or we try to anyway).  So it is natural that we talk about "the rules" on a board that is about making our organisation better.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

dwb

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 06, 2008, 03:45:18 AMAre these new courses up on the web?

http://cap.gov/sls

and

http://cap.gov/clc

I'm leading the "Officership and the Public Trust" seminar at an upcoming SLS in my Wing.  It focuses a lot on the obligations of being in a taxpayer-funded militaryesque organization, on core values, and on accountability.

RiverAux

Folks, please note that I did not say anything about requiring people to retake these courses.  I asked whether they SHOULD take the new courses. 

jimmydeanno

I would highly recommend that people who took the old SLS and CLC take the new ones.  They are leaps and bounds above their predecessors.

One of the things that a lot of people complain about with the training of CAP SMs is that there isn't any "leadership training." Well, these courses take a HUGE leap forward in that and actually teach fundamentals of leadership, etc. at SLS and build on that curriculum in CLC.

The other advantage is that if gives you an opportunity to network with the new guys, make them feel welcome, etc. 

My favorite though is for the folks that had a break in service that started in 1980 and they're 'just getting back into things,' it lets them see where the organization is now so they can come back up to speed.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

He has a very good point. I did SLS and CLC in 1989, and have forgotten most of it, due to 10 years of non-participation. I had the opportunity to teach part of an SLS, and was impressed by both the content and presentation format. There was a real, useable lesson guide. The slides were mostly bullets, to prompt detail from the instructor, and kick start some discussion.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mikeylikey

Is it a requirement somewhere that CLC has to be conducted at a Wings HQ?  Can a CLC be conducted anywhere in a Wing, as long as there are qualified people to instruct?  See in PAWG we all just received word that CLC will always be within an hour of Philadelphia at the Wing HQ.  That is great for everyone that lives on the Eastern side of PA.  However, when GAS reaches $4.00/ Gallon before summer arrives, those that live in Western PA will  have to drive the 5 hours to attend.  I see this as a hardship for many members.  Is anyone else in the same boat?

What's up monkeys?

mynetdude

I don't know about CLC requirement locations, though ORWG is having CLC in Southern Oregon this year and SLS being in Bend this year. 

That being said, it sure doesn't look like that is the case. Last year or the year before (not sure) CLC was held north of the WG HQ so it seems they trade off where certain classes are held to accomodate various members in various parts of the state.

SarDragon

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 07, 2008, 12:51:25 AM
Is it a requirement somewhere that CLC has to be conducted at a Wings HQ?
No.

QuoteCan a CLC be conducted anywhere in a Wing, as long as there are qualified people to instruct?

Yes. We have them all over the state in CAWG. The primary problem lies in the funding. NHQ will only fund one SLS and one CLC per year. 

QuoteSee in PAWG we all just received word that CLC will always be within an hour of Philadelphia at the Wing HQ.  That is great for everyone that lives on the Eastern side of PA.  However, when GAS reaches $4.00/ Gallon before summer arrives, those that live in Western PA will  have to drive the 5 hours to attend.  I see this as a hardship for many members.  Is anyone else in the same boat?

Even with the varied locations, the venue closest to my unit that I've seen is still over two hours away. I went last year because I had an opportunity to teach. If I have the opportunity this year, I'll do it again.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on March 07, 2008, 01:04:43 AM
Yes. We have them all over the state in CAWG. The primary problem lies in the funding. NHQ will only fund one SLS and one CLC per year. 

You're not the first to say this.

Funding for what, exactly?  The materials are online, most units meet somewhere.

We've run 2 in a row with the only charge being $5 per person for two days worth of bagels and coffee in the morning.

"That Others May Zoom"

mynetdude

Quote from: Eclipse on March 07, 2008, 01:18:04 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on March 07, 2008, 01:04:43 AM

You're not the first to say this.

Funding for what, exactly?  The materials are online, most units meet somewhere.

We've run 2 in a row with the only charge being $5 per person for two days worth of bagels and coffee in the morning.

You're not the first person to ask this question either, $5/day isn't enough to cover everything that you're forgetting either.  $5/day only covers what WG does not reimburse the squadron for.

Squadrons have to pay for electricity including air conditioning and heat depending which time of the year you do it in.  Squadrons need to be able to pay for fuel to shuttle members to/from hotels to the the class (note I am not talking about airport shuttle, those are provided by most hotels these days anyhow).

and besides... a 2hr drive to an SLS/CLC class it not so much of an issue vs driving 4-8hrs+.  Bear in mind, the $5/day only covers the bare necessities needed to support the class, that does not cover electricity, water and climate control.

I don't know how much NHQ/WG pays back to the squadron for hosting an SLS or CLC, there is probably more... such as copy machine/paper use as well.

Eclipse

My point was that it should not cost the members ANYTHING but their time and transport for an SLS/CLC. Bring your lunch and learn something.

There should be duplication costs.
The new curriculum are primarily discussion based with no real need for the printed text.
You provide the participants the links, and if they are so inclined they can print them at home, or as many of our have done, bring them on a PDA or notebook.

Why would you need to shuttle people around?  Why can't they drive themselves?

As to operational costs for a facility, I'll grant you utilities are getting outrageous, but not at the level you are insinuating.  This type of activity is part and parcel with running an effective unit and should be accommodated in the budgeting - but even that is not required, because a LOT of units meet in places that do not charge for utilities, and I guarantee you that with w few phone calls you could find appropriate space for free.  Libraries are usually begging to have people use their meeting room.

If you choose to host the activity someplace nice, like a conference center, and choose to spend big money, that's fine, or even little money, whatever, but this idea you can't do anything without USAF or Wing money doesn't fly.

"That Others May Zoom"

mynetdude

Quote from: Eclipse on March 07, 2008, 01:47:06 AM
My point was that it should not cost the members ANYTHING but their time and transport for an SLS/CLC. Bring your lunch and learn something.

There should be duplication costs.
The new curriculum are primarily discussion based with no real need for the printed text.
You provide the participants the links, and if they are so inclined they can print them at home, or as many of our have done, bring them on a PDA or notebook.

Why would you need to shuttle people around?  Why can't they drive themselves?

As to operational costs for a facility, I'll grant you utilities are getting outrageous, but not at the level you are insinuating.  This type of activity is part and parcel with running an effective unit and should be accommodated in the budgeting - but even that is not required, because a LOT of units meet in places that do not charge for utilities, and I guarantee you that with w few phone calls you could find appropriate space for free.  Libraries are usually begging to have people use their meeting room.

If you choose to host the activity someplace nice, like a conference center, and choose to spend big money, that's fine, or even little money, whatever, but this idea you can't do anything without USAF or Wing money doesn't fly.

Well let me see... oh so you want someone to drive an invisible non usable vehicle to drive themselves around as if they brought their own car via an airplane? right... lets see how well that goes when they pay for a taxicab or a rental car that isn't needed and more effectively... they can pay for carpooling or call a member to come pick them up from the hotel... you STILL need transportation to/from the hotel especially if you are not from the area and you come in by air. I think that is a dense response as to "why can't they just drive themselves around"... sorry but I am not trying to be mean or pick a fight.

well yeah if you're lucky to meet at a facility that provides free utilities.  We have our own, it costs $150 (summer) -$300 (winter) /month depending on what time of the year... again would we rather use a confrence room or use our hangar? From a logistical standpoint, our hangar is more feasible.

True printing is really not a requirement, though we had only one instructor who wanted to copy/hand out slideshow notes to the class and to be honest... it was useless as it was too dark to read anyhow the way it came out on the copier.

Bring a lunch is always cool, I never have time for that anymore... but then I guess the cost of that is paying for lunch.  Either make time or pay the consequences... but thats not CAP's fault or your squadron or the folks you ride with.  Though I think its silly... when 99% of your class goes out for lunch and you are the only one who brought one... no thanks.