Squadron Leadership School

Started by TheSkyHornet, September 04, 2015, 01:28:07 PM

TheSkyHornet

Does anyone know what the process is to conduct the online version of Squadron Leadership School (SLS)?

I signed up via the electronic application on eServices about two weeks ago after discussing this with my CC. The classroom course if being offered at OHWG PD weekend in October, but I will be taking the Training Leaders of Cadets course, and you can only sign up for one course for the event. So, I opted to do the SLS online.

My application is out, and I understand that it has to go through Wing to be approved. How long might it usually take to be approved/denied, and if approved, how do you know that you are approved (is it via email?) and is it all conducted through eServices?

My CC was very much in favor of taking the online SLS rather than waiting until the next PD weekend in a year. However, she did not know the complete process for getting approved and starting the actual course once the application goes out, having never taken the online courses (only the classroom). She tried to get me to link up with our Safety Officer whom she said had taken the online course and could give me some information about it, but it turns out that he actually took the classroom course at an out-of-state PD weekend.

So, at this point, I'm left in the dark on what to expect from here on out. It basically went from some questions about SLS with my CC to "go ahead and sign up on eServices" to "well, I don't know what to tell you from this point; good luck."  :o

Insight would be appreciated.  :)

Capt Thompson

I received a denial from my Wing CC about 2 weeks after I signed up. Incidentally, MIWG has a training weekend in Flint prior to the OHWG weekend in Mansfield. I can't make the MIWG training so I'll be in Mansfield, but you could probably do SLS in MIWG and then TLC in OHWG. Flint is about 2 hours north of the Ohio border. Not ideal, but doable.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on September 04, 2015, 01:44:29 PM
I received a denial from my Wing CC about 2 weeks after I signed up. Incidentally, MIWG has a training weekend in Flint prior to the OHWG weekend in Mansfield. I can't make the MIWG training so I'll be in Mansfield, but you could probably do SLS in MIWG and then TLC in OHWG. Flint is about 2 hours north of the Ohio border. Not ideal, but doable.

It's about 4 hours from me. There's a chance I might be out of town for work that week prior, which adds to my inability to commit. I try to get as much as I can get done online since it's easier with my work schedule, CAP schedule, and other obligations I have. Life gets busy, eh.  :P

If I get denied, I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world. Usually, my CC communications Wing to let them know when someone from our squadron has an application out to keep things going, but I think she dropped the ball on this one when she came back with "Really, I don't know what to do from here." Haha. Oh well. The application is floating around somewhere in space right now.

Capt Thompson

MIWG has a policy about only allowing members to do SLS online in extreme circumstances, which is why mine was denied. If OHWG has the same policy, the Wing CC might not check for apps very often. Either way, good luck, and maybe I'll see you in Mansfield.

Capt Matt Thompson

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on September 04, 2015, 01:57:18 PM
MIWG has a policy about only allowing members to do SLS online in extreme circumstances, which is why mine was denied. If OHWG has the same policy, the Wing CC might not check for apps very often. Either way, good luck, and maybe I'll see you in Mansfield.

I think OHWG is a little more relaxed on that from what I've been told, but I really don't know. I guess if I knew the answer to that, I'd already understand how this all works :P

I didn't have to submit any information as to why I was requesting the online course. My reason is simply that I can't do both in the near future in-person, so I'm doing one in-person course, and one online course. Maybe if I was able to submit that reasoning it would push the review process along? Meh...

Anwyay, I'll keep an eye out for the name in October.  ;)

Alaric

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 04, 2015, 01:28:07 PM
Does anyone know what the process is to conduct the online version of Squadron Leadership School (SLS)?

I signed up via the electronic application on eServices about two weeks ago after discussing this with my CC. The classroom course if being offered at OHWG PD weekend in October, but I will be taking the Training Leaders of Cadets course, and you can only sign up for one course for the event. So, I opted to do the SLS online.

My application is out, and I understand that it has to go through Wing to be approved. How long might it usually take to be approved/denied, and if approved, how do you know that you are approved (is it via email?) and is it all conducted through eServices?

My CC was very much in favor of taking the online SLS rather than waiting until the next PD weekend in a year. However, she did not know the complete process for getting approved and starting the actual course once the application goes out, having never taken the online courses (only the classroom). She tried to get me to link up with our Safety Officer whom she said had taken the online course and could give me some information about it, but it turns out that he actually took the classroom course at an out-of-state PD weekend.

So, at this point, I'm left in the dark on what to expect from here on out. It basically went from some questions about SLS with my CC to "go ahead and sign up on eServices" to "well, I don't know what to tell you from this point; good luck."  :o

Insight would be appreciated.  :)

If you are denied you can always take SLS in another wing

Capt Thompson

I would have your CC send an email to the Wing CC with your reasoning and see if it can get pushed through. You're right I didn't have to submit a reason, just the short online form. My Wing CC emailed me the denial but said if I had a good reason to take it online to email him back. I really didn't have a reason, I just wanted to get it done during some vacation time I had so I didn't worry about it.

Capt Matt Thompson

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on September 04, 2015, 02:19:21 PM
I would have your CC send an email to the Wing CC with your reasoning and see if it can get pushed through. You're right I didn't have to submit a reason, just the short online form. My Wing CC emailed me the denial but said if I had a good reason to take it online to email him back. I really didn't have a reason, I just wanted to get it done during some vacation time I had so I didn't worry about it.

I think my CC already informed Wing. She usually does any time our squadron members (cadets and seniors) have a special application or form submitted.

She put in a request for an early promotion (Per CAPR 35-5, D, 4-3) a few weeks ago and I never heard back on that either. I know she personally emailed Wing because she copied me in on the email with a list of a bunch of courses I had taken and a written recommendation to back it up.

Storm Chaser

There are a few wings with policies of not letting members do SLS online or even at other wings without a valid reason preventing them from attending the ones offered by their own wings. In those cases, the best approach is to contact the wing commander through the chain of command and make the request before applying for the course. You'll probably have to provide a good reason for wanting to do it online or at another wing.

winterg

Florida is one of those Wings. I didn't see any CLC courses near me so I enrolled in the one online through National. Registration went smoothly until I got a notice from the course administrator that all FLWG members are required to take the blended course offered here. No big deal. Some jurisdictions have a particular way of doing things.

jdh

I applied to the National Online SLS and am currently enrolled in it, it is being put on by WY Wing and its 8 weeks long. There is a lot of time commitment involved in the online SLS. I have 2 weeks left before Im done with it.

TheSkyHornet

I'm generally pretty quick at getting the online stuff done. I usually just take some time to sit down one day and review the material and take the exams. I try to make a slot for myself as to when to work on what I need to work on and get done up to a certain point before I break off for a while.

Quote from: winterg on September 04, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Florida is one of those Wings. I didn't see any CLC courses near me so I enrolled in the one online through National. Registration went smoothly until I got a notice from the course administrator that all FLWG members are required to take the blended course offered here. No big deal. Some jurisdictions have a particular way of doing things.

How long did it take before you got the no-go?

winterg

This was last year and as I recall it was fairly quick. Within the same week.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: winterg on September 04, 2015, 05:32:03 PM
This was last year and as I recall it was fairly quick. Within the same week.

Hmmmm. Well, I hit the two-week mark a couple of days ago and didn't hear anything, so I finally emailed my CC and she basically said "I don't know what else to tell you," hence me posting here today on the subject.

So either 2 weeks is a good sign, or a bad sign....or they haven't even looked at it yet :P I guess all options are plausible

winterg

I'm still not a fan of the way we do SLS and CLC here in Florida. There is an online portion and then a one day capstone.

When I went to SLS in WIWG it was a two day event on a Saturday and Sunday. The majority of the class went to dinner and socialized after the first day and I formed very great friendships. I just don't get the same bonding feel from a one day event. But I guess it is offset by the sometimes overwhelming number of events constantly happening here in FLWG.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: winterg on September 04, 2015, 05:41:08 PM
I'm still not a fan of the way we do SLS and CLC here in Florida. There is an online portion and then a one day capstone.

When I went to SLS in WIWG it was a two day event on a Saturday and Sunday. The majority of the class went to dinner and socialized after the first day and I formed very great friendships. I just don't get the same bonding feel from a one day event. But I guess it is offset by the sometimes overwhelming number of events constantly happening here in FLWG.

You generally won't. Usually a one-day thing ends with a "nice to have met you" *shake hands* *part ways*

But which is better, for me at the moment, is a side discussion. I just want to know what the next step is after sending an application out that responds with "Application sent," with no email to my mailbox about it any instructions other than "Wait here ---->"

The CAP website behind-the-scenes is somewhat a diamond in the rough

Paul Creed III

Has your squadron CC checked the eServices module for the application? eServices email notifications of stuff for me to approve is hit-and-miss so maybe it's sitting there or maybe there's some visibility as to where it is in the approval process?

https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.AFIADLEnrollment.Web/Approvals.aspx

(Mind you, I have not actually used this module during my tenure as a squadron CC so I am guessing as to how it functions.)
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Paul Creed III on September 04, 2015, 08:43:58 PM
Has your squadron CC checked the eServices module for the application? eServices email notifications of stuff for me to approve is hit-and-miss so maybe it's sitting there or maybe there's some visibility as to where it is in the approval process?

https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.AFIADLEnrollment.Web/Approvals.aspx

(Mind you, I have not actually used this module during my tenure as a squadron CC so I am guessing as to how it functions.)

I can't get that link to work.

What I do have is the link to SLS, which directs to the application page and says I've already enrolled in the course, and that I can't resubmit an application.

My CC said to apply, which I did, and then said she didn't know much more but would have me talk to the people who already did the online course, which turns out they did the classroom course, not the online. Baaaaaah

Paul Creed III

The link is likely accessible to only commanders.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

jdh

When I submitted my application I heard nothing back until I got the email saying I was accepted several weeks later.