Main Menu

Reserve/Patron members

Started by RiverAux, November 11, 2014, 12:52:04 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: shuman14 on November 13, 2014, 03:26:49 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on November 12, 2014, 10:27:51 PM
Speaking as a Patron member, I'd happily complete Level 1 and the safety training, both of which can be conducted in an online/distance learning status, but I can't because I am prevented from doing them because I am a Patron Member.

Why would someone who is only a financial donor complete Level 1 and Safety currency?

That is for actual members only, not donors.

Gee, I don't know...

It might... spur an interested Patron to learn more about CAP, which in turn might prompt them to become an active member.

It might... afford an active member, who because of "real life" issues, is forced to step back into a Patron status, an opportunity to continue their self-development education while they are dealing with those issues.

There's two reasons that jump right out at me.

Self development education?

it might also give the impression they are actual "members".  The next thing you know they are
in a uniform, showing up to meetings uninvited, etc., etc.  BTDT.

If you want to join, find a unit and join, otherwise, lurk in the forums, check out all the curriculum you want,
but you're not an asset to the organization in any meaningful way.  The only people who are "assets"
are those who are attending meetings, participating in activities, working missions, providing some staff service or
another, or otherwise holding up a corner in a meaningful way.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2014, 08:42:51 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on November 12, 2014, 08:32:56 PM
Back when I was in the BSA, if you were not near a troop, you could become a "Lone Scout."  I wonder if one could become a "Lone CAP member" instead of the "Patron" label.

What would the point of that be?

Someone who is nowhere near a squadron of any kind, yet still wants to belong to CAP.  That's what the "Lone Scout" bit was all about.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

a2capt

Find six more, and start a Flight.

Майор Хаткевич

pierson777

Frankly, I would prefer it if Patron members were not in the local unit.  I have a handful that have been patrons for several years.  I've been in my current unit since 2000 and there are members that I've never met.  A couple of them I can't even contact.  Some let their membership expire, then they magically reappear on the roster a couple years later.  I think they're just calling Natl HQ with their membership payment.

Here's one that sort of bugs me.  A couple members who I've never met because they haven't been to a meeting in over a decade have received unit citation awards just because they're on the roster. 

I'm curious if there are any statistics on patron/reserve members compared to active members.  I'd like to know what our real "active" numbers are.

MSG Mac

The State of Maryland will be initiating a tax benefit for CAP members for Tax Year 2015. I expect patrons to be coming out of the woodwork when they hear about it.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: pierson777 on November 15, 2014, 03:30:27 AM
Here's one that sort of bugs me.  A couple members who I've never met because they haven't been to a meeting in over a decade have received unit citation awards just because they're on the roster. 

The one that bugged me was in a flying club senior squadron.  Quite a few of their pilots signed their wives/girlfriends/SO's up so they could fly in CAP aircraft (with a baseball cap with a CAP patch qualifying as a "uniform"), but they never took part in squadron activities, never held positions in the unit, never did PD (of course, that applied to about 80% of the unit anyway).  I can only remember actually meeting a small minority of them, but it sure made the unit look good on paper.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: pierson777 on November 15, 2014, 03:30:27 AMHere's one that sort of bugs me.  A couple members who I've never met because they haven't been to a meeting in over a decade have received unit citation awards just because they're on the roster. 

Then the citation wasn't written properly, it shoudl have indicated either "active members" or had a list of specific names.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on November 15, 2014, 09:47:51 AM
Quote from: pierson777 on November 15, 2014, 03:30:27 AMHere's one that sort of bugs me.  A couple members who I've never met because they haven't been to a meeting in over a decade have received unit citation awards just because they're on the roster. 

Then the citation wasn't written properly, it should have indicated either "active members" or had a list of specific names.

I have two UCAs for California Wing. The first is on a PA from NHQ, which just lists the wings getting the award. The second is a copy of the F120 for the award. Again, just the wing was mentioned.

In each case, I prepared a supplemental PA, listing the members of the squadron during the period of the award. The wing admin guru approved of it, liked the idea, and suggested that other wing units do the same thing, to eliminate eligibility confusion down the road.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Same thing here.  We just got the National Commander's Unit Citation Award.

sarmed1

I have run into a few units, that have members that act in that "reserve" capacity; specificaly because their current lives dont lend well to regular weekly participation. They dont attend regualr meetings, but maintain safety currency, and do PD as available.  The units ask them to participate in major events if they can; if not they know that they will at some point down the road.  Especially in cadet specific squadrons; where you dont need every person there to run a meeting every week.
Bottom line is that if you are geogrphically seperated or life issues seperate you for awhile, the unit can accomidate you if they want to. (I dont know if they woudl work it for a "new" member, but someone who has been there in the past is a different story)

If not that is one of the benefits of patron status, you dont loose any of your "records" they sort of just stop where you left off (obviously currency ends...) and you can pick back up afterwards. 

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Grumpy

"If not that is one of the benefits of patron status, you don't loose any of your "records" they sort of just stop where you left off (obviously currency ends...) and you can pick back up afterwards."

I have a couple members that went Patron back in 2002 with the idea of returning "sometime".  They still pay their dues and we never hear from them.  I keep their records in their own inactive portion of the filing cabinet.  Maybe we'll hear from them one of these days.

Garibaldi

OK, so...I asked my former CC to xfr me to the 000 unit. Is that the same? Who retains my file?

BTW...loose means not tight. Lose means to misplace.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: Grumpy on November 15, 2014, 11:00:54 PMMaybe we'll hear from them one of these days.
.. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting .. ;)

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on November 13, 2014, 04:23:04 PM
it might also give the impression they are actual "members".  The next thing you know they are
in a uniform, showing up to meetings uninvited, etc., etc.  BTDT.

Did a Patron Member steal your lunch money when you were in 3rd grade or something?

Trying to understand why you hate them so much.

Eclipse

"Hate" is somewhat of a strong word.

They serve no purpose beyond a financial contribution, the majority of which goes to NHQ,
yet they are an administrative burden on unit CCs, and a constant source of static and background noise
in regards to properly reporting all kinds of information, not the least of which is the raw membership numbers.

You made the assertion a few response back that they aren't included in reporting for things like
safety currency, etc.   Are you sure about that?  Can you cite something to that effect?  Because
I'm not so sure of that, nor on other things like EOC, etc.

And regardless, they are "members" in any meaningful sense of the word, yet NHQ >does<
report them in total strength.

There should be three membership categories "active", "inactive" and "other", and the latter two
should be removed from all manpower reports, compliance percentages, etc., etc.

Not safety current?  You're inactive.  Not current for a quarter?  You're "other" and need a CC's
approval to become active again.

Next problem.

"That Others May Zoom"

LATORRECA

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2014, 02:21:43 AM
"Hate" is somewhat of a strong word.

They serve no purpose beyond a financial contribution, the majority of which goes to NHQ,
yet they are an administrative burden on unit CCs, and a constant source of static and background noise
in regards to properly reporting all kinds of information, not the least of which is the raw membership numbers.

You made the assertion a few response back that they aren't included in reporting for things like
safety currency, etc.   Are you sure about that?  Can you cite something to that effect?  Because
I'm not so sure of that, nor on other things like EOC, etc.

And regardless, they are "members" in any meaningful sense of the word, yet NHQ >does<
report them in total strength.

There should be three membership categories "active", "inactive" and "other", and the latter two
should be removed from all manpower reports, compliance percentages, etc., etc.

Not safety current?  You're inactive.  Not current for a quarter?  You're "other" and need a CC's
approval to become active again.

Next problem.

And that's why they have to be on NHQ-996. Because their number won't affect you. I believe on patron member only be on The unit mention above, no other unite, because they will become a burden. Just let them be. On paper and on NHQ-996.

Grumpy

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 15, 2014, 11:52:02 PM
OK, so...I asked my former CC to xfr me to the 000 unit. Is that the same? Who retains my file?

BTW...loose means not tight. Lose means to misplace.

Oops ☺️

SarDragon

And - lefty -> loosy; righty -> tighty
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret