How many speaciatly tracks can you be in at once?

Started by aviator9417, January 19, 2014, 07:36:48 PM

Eclipse

^ Comes back to the same circular rut...

"We don't have enough people to fill all these jobs."

(Variant)

"We don't have enough people to justify all these jobs."

Get more people.

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Don't know how I missed the reference in CAPR 35-1 1-2(b).  :o :o Though I did say CAP regs put requirements in the strangest places.

All of the Track question in the SUI Guide refer to the person assigned to the duty so this section applies. So if Lt Bagodonuts is assigned 4 positions and is enrolled at least 1 related track then one of the enrolled must be primary. Right? I might suggest that CDC for a composite squadron with other hats should be enrolled in the CP track. "My primary duty assignment is Admin Officer not CDC", would get a laugh from me.

From an IG's perspective it would be nice if the reference in the guide was at least to the correct regulation.  ;D

Part of IG / Inspector training is that in case of conflict between the SUI guide and current regulations is that the regulations win.

JeffDG

Quote from: Phil Hirons, Jr. on January 22, 2014, 07:44:19 PM
Part of IG / Inspector training is that in case of conflict between the SUI guide and current regulations is that the regulations win.
As the SUI guide is simply a shorthand for the regs, and the SUI guide itself is not regulatory, that should be obvious.

Alaric

Quote from: Eclipse on January 22, 2014, 07:23:58 PM
^ Comes back to the same circular rut...

"We don't have enough people to fill all these jobs."

(Variant)

"We don't have enough people to justify all these jobs."

Get more people.

Perhaps we also need to look at some of the jobs we have, for instance how many squadrons really need:

ES Officer; ES Training Officer; Disaster Relief Officer; Search and Rescue Officer; Homeland Security Officer

Administration and Personnel (I've said for years that those 2 tracks should be merged)

Eclipse

I don't totally disagree, however all units are supposed to need them (i.e. should be active enough to
need the people to do the jobs).

Units hovering at charter minimums may not need them, however units aren't supposed to operate at charter minimums.

"That Others May Zoom"

pascocap2002

I have quite a few specialty track ratings.. I start the rating, do the classes, serve in the capacity, get the badge, and love the job. Then, when I transfer units and am assigned a new job, I do the same.

As for work load.. its not good to hold many positions in one time. What will happen is that you will not have a life outside of CAP and your work and home life will suffer.

Never bite off more than you can chew.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: pascocap2002 on January 22, 2014, 08:57:17 PM
As for work load.. its not good to hold many positions in one time. What will happen is that you will not have a life outside of CAP and your work and home life will suffer.

Some people in CAP consider that to be a VIRTUE.  I had disagreements in one squadron with the CC who thought one's life should be "all CAP, all the time."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

pascocap2002

CAP can easily consume your life if you take on too many specialty tracks at once and many new members get sucked into doing so many things that they do not last. I call it the light bulb syndrome (you burn brighter and brighter and then burn out).

This has happened to me and I am sure this has happened to many of you. Even if you love CAP and put a lot into it, if you bite off more than you can chew, then CAP will put a sour taste in your mouth.

Advice to new members, pick something that you enjoy doing. Learn it the CAP way, take the courses and enjoy it. If you feel its not enough, then either add a new specialty or leave your current position and add a new position. Do not let CAP consume your life with taking up 4 different specialty tracks at the same time and actively performing the tasks of those positions.

arajca

Also, don't be afraid if your interests change. CAP has many things to offer and as you gain experience and knowledge, you may find different aspects that are more interesting or provide more of the warm fuzzies.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: pascocap2002 on January 23, 2014, 02:10:41 AM
CAP can easily consume your life if you take on too many specialty tracks at once and many new members get sucked into doing so many things that they do not last. I call it the light bulb syndrome (you burn brighter and brighter and then burn out).

This has happened to me and I am sure this has happened to many of you. Even if you love CAP and put a lot into it, if you bite off more than you can chew, then CAP will put a sour taste in your mouth.

You speak the truth.

However, if you happen to be in a squadron with a CC and general squadron mindset that is all CAP, all the time, and you are not of that mindset...it is not hard to see who gets promoted, decorated and generally gets "warm fuzzies," and who does not.

I have experienced the mindset of "you had better be at death's door if you are going to miss a squadron meeting" and "you had better already be dead and buried if you are not going to attend every special activity the unit has planned."  It is not a good feeling.

As I have stated before, I tend to be a behind-the-scenes "worker bee" type that would be much better off as a warrant officer than as a "commissioned" (I know we are not commissioned, but I use the word solely for illustrative purposes) officer.

If any of you are familiar with the Myers-Briggs personality type, I tend strongly toward the ISFJ.

http://www.personalitypage.com/ISFJ.html

CAP has all kinds of people and personalities, of course, but I have found that the ones who do overextend themselves and "live" CAP (as in multiple jobs and/or speciality tracks) are the ones who get recognition.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on January 23, 2014, 11:53:27 PM
CAP has all kinds of people and personalities, of course, but I have found that the ones who do overextend themselves and "live" CAP (as in multiple jobs and/or specialty tracks) are the ones who get recognition.

Of course they do, they are the workhorses of CAP, making and allowing for the organization to remain running while people
less involved come and go. It's not fair for you, or anyone else, to define "overextend".

With so many ways to serve in CAP, there's no reason to be connected to an activity or unit that
make you sad or feel undervalued.

There isn't an echelon or activity that can't use help, and just about everything Group and above is
going to be mostly virtual.

That doesn't mean every place you contact is going to welcome you with open arms, people are people
after all, but there's plenty of places to look.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

What I said was not meant to be a value judgement.

Perhaps a better term than "overextend" would be "those with the resources, wherewithal, time and treasure."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on January 24, 2014, 12:29:25 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on January 23, 2014, 11:53:27 PM
CAP has all kinds of people and personalities, of course, but I have found that the ones who do overextend themselves and "live" CAP (as in multiple jobs and/or specialty tracks) are the ones who get recognition.
Of course they do, they are the workhorses of CAP, making and allowing for the organization to remain running while people
less involved come and go. It's not fair for you, or anyone else, to define "overextend".

Exactly! Agree 100%. I don't think everyone needs to spend every free minute of his/her life doing CAP work. But those that go the extra mile should definitely be recognized beyond those members that are less involved or do the bare minimum. That's especially true when it comes to promotions. Field grades, in particular, should be reserved for leaders and managers, not worker bees.

The CyBorg is destroyed

So...are the "worker bees" worthy of any recognition?

Any at all?

A lot of us do a lot more than the "bare minimum"...we just do not necessarily advertise it as well.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

pascocap2002

Quote from: CyBorg on January 24, 2014, 04:28:16 AM

Any at all?

A lot of us do a lot more than the "bare minimum"...we just do not necessarily advertise it as well.

Yes you are worthy of decorations and promotions! You need to be recognized for your contributions to CAP and for all the hard work you do.

Storm Chaser

Any at all?

Absolutely!

Good work doesn't need to be advertised.

I guess where we may disagree is in what constitutes appropriate recognition. Grades should denote level of responsibility and promotions should indicate potential for increased responsibility. In addition, CAPR 35-5 states that in order for a member to be promoted, he/she must be "performing in an exemplary manner meriting promotion to the grade recommended." (emphasis mine) Doing good work, while worthy of recognition, should not be the sole criteria used to determine whether an individual should be promoted or not.

The CyBorg is destroyed

All right, then, riddle me this, Batman.

If someone is performing in an exemplary manner in a speciality track that is not one of the "glamour tracks" (like Aircrew, Incident Commander, Ground Team, STAN/EVAL), or one that emphasises community involvement (like doing Aerospace Education in schools, Public Affairs), in a track that doesn't necessarily come with a lot of public accolades, like Personnel Officer, Finance Officer, Historian, or Administration, are they worthy of promotion beyond company grade?

If not...all the more logical reason for CAP to have a warrant officer system.

At one time, when I was younger, single and in better health, I could devote a lot more time to CAP.

Now I am older, married (with a wife battling cancer) and not in as good of health as I once was.  I also devote quite a bit of time to my church as a lay liturgist.

Do not misconstrue.  I am in awe of PAO's who are able to be diplomatic and stick with the facts when dealing with the media, and advertising CAP in general.  As someone who is mathematically stupid challenged, I am amazed at Finance Officers and their abilities.

In fact, there is not a job within the Civil Air Patrol that I do not respect...but, let us face facts, some jobs are more "public" than others, and those are the ones that get more recognition.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Storm Chaser

Quote from: CyBorg on January 24, 2014, 05:11:53 AM
If someone is performing in an exemplary manner in a speciality track that is not one of the "glamour tracks" (like Aircrew, Incident Commander, Ground Team, STAN/EVAL)

First of all, other than Stan/Eval, these are not specialty tracks; they are Ops/ES qualifications. Second, Ops/ES qualifications are not required for promotion, unless you are enrolled in an operational-type specialty track (Operations, Emergency Services, etc.).

or one that emphasises community involvement (like doing Aerospace Education in schools, Public Affairs), in a track that doesn't necessarily come with a lot of public accolades, like Personnel Officer, Finance Officer, Historian, or Administration, are they worthy of promotion beyond company grade?

All of these are important positions and members can potentially promote while serving in either one of these. The real question is, should members be promoted to field grades if they lack leadership and/or management skills? Should they be promoted beyond company grades if they haven't assumed greater responsibilities and/or leadership roles within CAP? Grade has nothing to do with "public accolades".

If not...all the more logical reason for CAP to have a warrant officer system.

Perhaps. But since we don't have warrant officer grades, it's a mute point.

In fact, there is not a job within the Civil Air Patrol that I do not respect...but, let us face facts, some jobs are more "public" than others, and those are the ones that get more recognition.

In my opinion, members who volunteer in CAP seeking "public" recognition, are in it for the wrong reasons. Promotions should not be used in this manner.

aviator9417

So the people who are the face of CAP get the good life but the people who they rely on and the people that make CAP function on the support side get the short end of the stick?

You need to take care of all of your people not just the ones who are out in public.  Not everyone in the AF are pilots.  The idea of being a pilot is attractive but if not for the maintenance, comms, IT, logistics, administration, etc.  The pilots job would not be possible.

The same idea applies to CAP without comms, IC, etc who would support the ground teams? or the aircrew?

If you only take care of the people who execute the mission and not the people that support the mission the mission WILL fail.
Assistant Information Technology Officer
Chino Cadet Squadron 20
California Wing, Group 3
sq20.cawgcap.org

Storm Chaser

^ You're making an assumption that CAP only takes care of certain people with certain specialties. May I remind everyone that our National Commander has a Master Rating in Finance and another one in Personnel.

If someone wants to get promoted to a higher grade, he/she must demonstrate exemplary performance in the current grade and potential for increased responsibility in the next.