How many speaciatly tracks can you be in at once?

Started by aviator9417, January 19, 2014, 07:36:48 PM

aviator9417

I was wondering if I would be able to do something like Comms, and ES or Comms, and it.  Is there a limit of how many you can work on at one time?
Assistant Information Technology Officer
Chino Cadet Squadron 20
California Wing, Group 3
sq20.cawgcap.org

unmlobo

I am in PDO, Cadet Programs, and Historian.  Others I have seen are all over the place and have multiples.  To be honest the sky is the limit!
Major, CAP
HI WG

Eclipse

There is no limit beyond what you and your CC decide is reasonable, though I thought I read somewhere that
there is a practical limit to how many you can be enrolled in as "none" concurrently.

Since they all require some staff service, it's difficult to be legitimately effective in more then a couple at any one time.
I usually suggest members choose "one that serves you, and one that serves CAP".

I know of plenty of members who have 3-5 master ratings (after 10-20 years service).

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

I've seen members with multiple NONE ratings, some many years old. It makes absolutely no sense.

Pick one or two that you can actually complete, then move on from there.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 19, 2014, 09:15:59 PM
I've seen members with multiple NONE ratings, some many years old. It makes absolutely no sense.

I don't get that either - you have to have one "none", which I guess is the equivalence if declaring your major,
in order for SLS credit to post, but beyond that it really doesn't make any difference.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

I have 1 master rating (CP) and 2 senior ratings (ES & IT), my current goal is to master up on the 2.
Once that is done, i'm thinking of starting the Aerospace track.

The key, I think, is that I haven't just "box checked the ratings,
I consider myself to be no kidding competent/strong on those areas.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on January 19, 2014, 09:18:06 PM

I don't get that either - you have to have one "none", which I guess is the equivalence if declaring your major,
in order for SLS credit to post, but beyond that it really doesn't make any difference.
On issue may be that you cannot UN "NONE" a specialty track.

A few years back wing for some reason assigned me into the recruiting and retention specialty track....never wanted it, never did it, have not looked at the CAPP.....but I can't delete it from my list.

I have started some other Specialty Tracks....but got bored with them and they are just sitting there....I may get around to them again someday.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JeffDG

Quote from: lordmonar on January 19, 2014, 11:49:26 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 19, 2014, 09:18:06 PM

A few years back wing for some reason assigned me into the recruiting and retention specialty track....never wanted it, never did it, have not looked at the CAPP.....but I can't delete it from my list.

I have started some other Specialty Tracks....but got bored with them and they are just sitting there....I may get around to them again someday.
A commander can remove "none".  I pulled my "Flight Operations" track when I became a deputy commander.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Theoretically, you can be in as many as you like.

Realistically, it's far too easy to overextend oneself in CAP as it is - too many speciality tracks can do just that.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Camas

Quote from: lordmonar on January 19, 2014, 11:49:26 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on January 20, 2014, 12:00:00 AM
]A commander can remove "none".  I pulled my "Flight Operations" track when I became a deputy commander.
A unit PDO should be able to do the same thing as well.

Private Investigator

Quote from: aviator9417 on January 19, 2014, 07:36:48 PM
I was wondering if I would be able to do something like Comms, and ES or Comms, and it.  Is there a limit of how many you can work on at one time?

It depends on the Squadron and Squadron Commander. A small Squadron you may have three or four hats and/or a primary and a few assistant slots. A large Squadron you may be just the assistant to the deputy but it is still a specialty. Of course you may have a incompetent Squadron Commander and not be assigned anything for two years until the IG notices it or you complain to the Group Commander   8)

UWONGO2

The SUI process might be a contributor to this. The various tabs expect the primary officer for each OPR to be enrolled in the appropriate specialty track but doesn't require any progression. I've had a few folks get themselves enrolled during a SUI so that the discrepancy can be closed right there and then.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: UWONGO2 on January 21, 2014, 10:22:20 PM
The SUI process might be a contributor to this. The various tabs expect the primary officer for each OPR to be enrolled in the appropriate specialty track but doesn't require any progression. I've had a few folks get themselves enrolled during a SUI so that the discrepancy can be closed right there and then.

I was placed involuntarily in an Administrative Officer position a few weeks prior to an SUI.

We had a person training to be an Admin but hadn't got her Technician rating yet.

We also had changed commanders.

He saw that I have a Master rating in Admin; hence, "Captain, you've got a lot of paper pushing to do in the next few weeks."  He did not lie.

However, I must have done something right, as we had no findings, discrepancies, etc., in my area.

I felt a bit bad for the Admin trainee but when the CC says to jump, you jump.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on January 22, 2014, 04:03:44 AM

I was placed involuntarily in an Administrative Officer position a few weeks prior to an SUI.

We had a person training to be an Admin but hadn't got her Technician rating yet.

We also had changed commanders.

He saw that I have a Master rating in Admin; hence, "Captain, you've got a lot of paper pushing to do in the next few weeks."  He did not lie.

However, I must have done something right, as we had no findings, discrepancies, etc., in my area.

I felt a bit bad for the Admin trainee but when the CC says to jump, you jump.

Did you at least have the Trainee as your assistant so you could give her some OJT?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: PHall on January 22, 2014, 04:49:07 AM
Did you at least have the Trainee as your assistant so you could give her some OJT?

That's the thing...she wasn't showing up regularly and the CC decided to suspend her from the position at least for the duration of the SUI.

I can see his point, he wanted someone to clean up our files who (hopefully) knew what they were doing.

However, I don't believe I ever saw her again, for whatever reason, which is unfortunate.

Giving her some OJT would have been a valuable experience for both of us, I think...a new experience for her, and to instruct her would be a challenge for someone as inherently shy as I am.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

EMT-83

There is no requirement that the person holding the duty position be enrolled in the specialty track. No is a valid answer to the question, and does not warrant a discrepancy on the inspection.

NC Hokie

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 22, 2014, 05:20:19 PM

There is no requirement that the person holding the duty position be enrolled in the specialty track. No is a valid answer to the question, and does not warrant a discrepancy on the inspection.

You're absolutely right, but that's really not a fight worth having if an inspecting officer goes there.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 22, 2014, 05:20:19 PM

Yes and no on the requirement to enroll.

Quote from: CAPR 50-17 para 4-2
Except for professionals in law or medicine who join specifically to perform these functions, members select specialty tracks based on their personal interests and the unit's need, as determined by the unit commander.
This is referenced in almost every section of the SUI Guide. In the absence of a will or shall in this paragraph and that there is no requirement for a senior member to progress in the Senior Training Program,  I would not think discrepancy based on this alone.

Quote from: CAPR 20-1 under each AE position as part of a bullet list of shall:
Enroll in the Aerospace Education Specialty Track 215 or have completed it.

Oddly enough the SUI guide references 50-17 but not 20-1 for AEO

CP does not have the Specialty Track question. It asks

Quote from:  SUI Guide Tab B-1 Q 2
Professional Development:  Describe how the senior members who lead and oversee the Cadet Program have acquired the expertise necessary to manage and direct all Cadet Program functions for the unit? Reference: CAPR 20-1 page 34 and CAPP 216 para 8.1
In the current 20-1 page 34 is AE (see above). But R 20-1 and P 216 and R 52-16 have no requirement for enrollment for the other CP positions.

Comm section references CAPP 214 but no requirement there.

PD references CAPP 204 but no requirement there!!!  I would likely include something in the PD section about lack of track assignments.

A lot of the Mission Support section and Safety reference their respective pamphlets but I found no requirement to enroll.

I don't claim this research is complete. CAP sometimes tucks requirements in regs in places you's least expect it.

My take away:
AE must enroll, PD (You over see the Tracks but you're not enrolled??), the rest does not look required.

JeffDG

Yes, it's a question that the inspector asks, but "No, not enrolled" is a valid answer.  If an inspector decides to "fight" you on that, then the inspector does not understand his/her role in the SUI process.  The most that can happen is the inspector writes up an "area of concern", which the commander is free to file in his circular filing bin if he/she wishes.

Now, if you have duty assignments, you must enroll in at least on specialty track, per CAPR 35-1 1-2(b):
Quoteb. Additionally, when assigned to an authorized duty position, the member will also enroll in
the appropriate specialty track of the CAP Professional Development Program unless he/she has
already earned the master's rating in that specialty. When a member is assigned to more than one
duty position, he/she will enroll in the specialty track for the primary duty.
Training in remaining
specialties is encouraged. Note: For promotion purposes, the highest skill rating earned, in any
specialty, will be considered, regardless of the member's skill level in his or her primary duty.

lordmonar

Or you can just use common sense......if you are assigned the position/doing the duty.....you should be enrolled in the specialty track.....even if it is not required.

Sure the regs suck.......but is it worth fighting over?   "is your Admin officer enrolled in the Admin Specality Track?"  "Why no Mr. IG." "Why not?""He's too busy doing other things." "Then why is he assigned as your admin officer?"

Not an argument you are going to intelligently win. 

The IG's job in the SUI process it to make sure we are dong those things we MUST do......and we are doing those things we should do to make us more affective.

The SUI guides come out well in advance of the inspections......so this "requirement" should not be a surprise to anyone.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP