Main Menu

School Senior Pictures

Started by shlebz, September 28, 2012, 01:19:32 PM

NIN

Its not terribly clear in that photo, but thats a gold pip. I was a C/WO, my Mitchell hadn't been presented yet, and of course there was no such thing as an encampment ribbon back then.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

Those were my questions. Thanks!

;)

P.S. Didn't even see the UC.

NIN

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 28, 2012, 02:27:12 PM

;)

Until I refreshed my memory (which I have to do more frequently these days), I couldn't remember if I was C/2Lt or C/WO, and I completely forgot I wasn't wearing the Mitchell.

Remember, too, that WB was not a milestone, Feik did not exist, and C/MSgt (Doolittle) was the last enlisted grade back then.  No Armstrong, etc.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NIN on September 28, 2012, 02:29:26 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 28, 2012, 02:27:12 PM

;)

Until I refreshed my memory (which I have to do more frequently these days), I couldn't remember if I was C/2Lt or C/WO, and I completely forgot I wasn't wearing the Mitchell.

Remember, too, that WB was not a milestone, Feik did not exist, and C/MSgt (Doolittle) was the last enlisted grade back then.  No Armstrong, etc.

I came in right at the switch, and due to less than perfect SM support, never earned the Feik or took the WBA.

I think it is a fine idea to have your senior photo taken in your uniform!

Walkman

Quote from: arajca on September 28, 2012, 01:32:58 PM
Forgot "ask your school's prinicpal/dean/etc as well."

I completely agree that checking with the CC is the right thing, but the school? Since when does a school have any say in a student's senior pictures? Yes, they may not publish them if they have inappropriate content, but the student's senior photos are portraits taken by private companies, paid for by the student and without any involvement from the school. Sorry, that just seems out there to me...

arajca

Quote from: Walkman on September 28, 2012, 03:23:46 PM

I completely agree that checking with the CC is the right thing, but the school? Since when does a school have any say in a student's senior pictures? Yes, they may not publish them if they have inappropriate content, but the student's senior photos are portraits taken by private companies, paid for by the student and without any involvement from the school. Sorry, that just seems out there to me...
In my experience, senior pictures are a school activity, even if they are taken by a private/contract photographer.

Walkman

Quote from: arajca on September 28, 2012, 03:34:07 PM
In my experience, senior pictures are a school activity, even if they are taken by a private/contract photographer.

I've had a different experience, but now that I think about it, it wouldn't surprise me in this day & age for schools in some areas to be more "involved" than others. I guess it depends on the district...

Personally, if I were a CC, I'd have no problem at all giving a cadet permission to do their senior pictures in uniform.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I'd have no problem with it.

I got married in my service dress.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Devil Doc

Quote from: CyBorg on September 28, 2012, 03:52:24 PM
I'd have no problem with it.

I got married in my service dress.

Thats an dedicated CAP Member right there!!
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

jeders

Quote from: Walkman on September 28, 2012, 03:23:46 PM

At my high school, your senior picture was done in a false tux for guys or a false dress for girls. No individuality, no choice. Your senior portrait, on the other hand, was done on your own time with whatever photographer you wanted, with no direct affiliation with the school, so that mom and dad can have a nice picture of you to use as blackmail when you grow up.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

^ Considering the way kids dress and mess up their faces annd hair, this is probably the best way to go about it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Quote from: NIN on September 28, 2012, 02:25:32 PM

Its not terribly clear in that photo, but thats a gold pip. I was a C/WO, my Mitchell hadn't been presented yet, and of course there was no such thing as an encampment ribbon back then.

No encampment ribbon?  Then why did you even bother going?   >:D

NIN

Cuz thats what you did BITD. You went to encampment for the experience, not the ribbon.

I know, right? Get up off the floor. Its not dignified.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Critical AOA

I say let the kids wear their uniforms if they want to.  I see no harm.

Personally, I have no recollection of what I wore for my senior pictures.  I did not buy them and I did not buy a yearbook.  I graduated 36 years ago and went to one reunion (10 year).  At that event, it occurred to me how many people were stuck in the past and how they were letting it define their lives so many years later.  It was just high school, move on.  So whatever one wears for the pictures, it will not be important years down the road. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Flying Pig

I remember when 6 stripes was all you got, being the 1st Sgt with my little diamond and chrome whistle.  Then pinning on C/ Warrant Officer -or- Cadet/ Flight Officer depending on how old school you Sq was and suddenly being treated like an illiterate moron!

As far as the initial question, I say wear them. That would look good, respectful. As a parent if Im paying for my kid to be in CAP hes IS wearing his blues for senior pictures. Yeah Yeah I know.... total disregard for regs! OH NO!

My 10 yr reunion had guys wearing their lettermans jackets, 75lbs over weight, bald telling loud annoying stories about some pass they caught in a game nobody remembers.  My 20yr is in 8 months.  Once in a while when I go back to visit my parents I run into a guy I know who still wears his lettermans jacket almost 20yrs later. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 28, 2012, 04:41:59 PM
My 10 yr reunion had guys wearing their lettermans jackets, 75lbs over weight, bald telling loud annoying stories about some pass they caught in a game nobody remembers.  My 20yr is in 8 months.  Once in a while when I go back to visit my parents I run into a guy I know who still wears his lettermans jacket almost 20yrs later. 

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Cool Mace

CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 28, 2012, 04:41:59 PM

I know the type.  Saw them at the reunion and see them when I go home to visit family.  Actually, I see them everywhere but the ones who I went to school with crack me up the most.

By the time I went to my 10 year HS reunion, I had spent 4 years in college, 3 years in the Army, went to Korea, had a couple of civilian jobs, gotten married and lived in three other states besides the one I grew up in.   High school just seems so distant by then and incredibly more so now.   

I still maintain a couple of friendships from HS but we always talk about the present or recent history.  I cannot recall the last time I had a conversation regarding ancient history.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Майор Хаткевич

I graduated after my Junior year, but the yearbook has me in my Blues. :)

Of course I only remember this because I recently LOOKED at the year book. Only 5 years ago, and certainly means a lot less to me know than it did then.