Cadet and Joining Air National Guard

Started by MikeS, June 06, 2012, 05:46:25 PM

MikeS

I just want to be absolutely sure, I am a cadet and going to NBB and want to make sure I can still do that.  I am joining the ANG this weekend, actually swearing in and stuff.  I read some previous posts, and just want to be 100% sure that this will not terminate my Cadet status.  This is correct right?  Only Active Duty terminates the Cadet status?

Thanks for the help
Mike Stein

Stonewall

This is 100% correct.  BMT and Tech School do not count as active duty status, nor does activation for deployment.  Just ask the CAP cadet who earned the Combat Infantryman's Badge.
Serving since 1987.

MSG Mac

As long as your orders say "Active Duty for Training", you're good to go. Being activated for active duty, though would require becoming a Senior Member.

CAPR 39-2

Regardless of the wording of the orders, "basic training" is not interpreted by CAP as "extended active duty." However, National Guard or Reserve members who enter "extended active duty" are not eligible to be cadets and must become senior members.

Therefore the aforementioned cadet with a CIB, should have become a SM upon being activated for "Active Duty"
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

RogueLeader

Also, are you entering into DEP, or shipping to basic?  If you are shipping, I don't think you are going to make nbb.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SARDOC

Quote from: Stonewall on June 06, 2012, 05:49:22 PM
This is 100% correct.  BMT and Tech School do not count as active duty status, nor does activation for deployment.  Just ask the CAP cadet who earned the Combat Infantryman's Badge.

Quote from: CAPR 35-3. 3.A(3) Joining the active duty Armed Forces.  The term "active duty Armed Forces" does not include members in the National Guard or Reserves who are not on extended active duty.

Any Active Duty deployment order is an order to regular Active Duty, which makes the cadet membership automatically terminated.

According to those "Strict Readers" of CAPR39-3 the cadet can't wear his Military Ribbons or that CIB on his Cadet Uniform.   >:D

RogueLeader

I would not automatically terminate the membership. They have the choice of going to senior member before they get terminated. That's just not nice, not giving them the option.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

I agree to what the regs say, I was refering to a picture of a C/Lt Col (or Col) who was shown wearing jump wings & CIB as an 11B National Guardsman.

Wish I could find it again.
Serving since 1987.

SARDOC

Quote from: RogueLeader on June 06, 2012, 07:41:41 PM
I would not automatically terminate the membership. They have the choice of going to senior member before they get terminated. That's just not nice, not giving them the option.
I would give them the option too.  That's just what the membership termination policy reads, is that the membership is automatically terminated.  I would think that the cadet would be well aware of any pending active duty deployment and would at least tell his CAP CoC beforehand.  Give them the option to convert to senior membership  before deployment.

SARDOC

Quote from: Stonewall on June 06, 2012, 07:43:57 PM
I agree to what the regs say, I was refering to a picture of a C/Lt Col (or Col) who was shown wearing jump wings & CIB as an 11B National Guardsman.

Please post or PM me that I would love to see that if you get a chance to find it again.

RogueLeader

Quote from: SARDOC on June 06, 2012, 07:50:31 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on June 06, 2012, 07:41:41 PM
I would give them the option too.  That's just what the membership termination policy reads, is that the membership is automatically terminated.  I would think that the cadet would be well aware of any pending active duty deployment and would at least tell his CAP CoC beforehand.  Give them the option to convert to senior membership  before deployment.

Fortunately there is no way for NHQ to fund out about deployments. The only way is for the service member to tell the commander. Occasionally the cc can find out, but still they should give the option.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

According to what I've been told, or seen posted in various places, the membership termination actually amounts to conversion to SM status, and a hold on the membership until a Form 12 and fingerprints are submitted.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

If activated NHQ puts a hold on annual dues (I wish I had known in 2003). So alerting them would be in the best interests of all concerned.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

jimmydeanno

The key phrase is "extended active duty." 

Quote from: http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/07a/07a_57.pdf
the term "active duty" includes active duty training; active duty for training; full-time training duty; annual training duty and attendance while in active service at a school designated as a Service school by law or the Secretary of the Military Department concerned; temporary active duty when the pay is chargeable to a Reserve appropriation or; in the case of the National Guard; full-time training; and other full-time duty. It does not mean extended active duty. Extended active duty (EAD) is defined as active duty performed by a member of a Reserve Component when strength accountability passes from the Reserve Component to the active military establishment.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MikeS

Thank you all for the help, I will not be doing any Active Duty anything, such as Basic or tech schooling until after NBB, so we can figure that out then.  I'll probably covert to a SM in the fall, so I can do more in ES and actually get called out on missions  :-\

But regardless thank you all!

coudano

You already specified, you are probably going to just go to BMT and Tech School.

There might be exceptions if you were taking a job as a full time guardsman (AGR) or some other strange things like that...  But unless/until that comes up, don't worry about it.

Have a ball at BMT.  Forget what you think you know, be quiet, and follow instructions quickly and correctly.  No sweat :)

What is your AFSC?
Unit?  State?

MikeS

If all goes well for my flight physical this weekend I will be going 1C1X1 (ATC) in the 241st ATC Squadron in Missouri.  At the same time going to college at University of Central Missouri, doing their professional pilot program.  Should be a good time I think!

RogueLeader

Quote from: MikeS on June 07, 2012, 03:59:27 AM
Thank you all for the help, I will not be doing any Active Duty anything, such as Basic or tech schooling until after NBB, so we can figure that out then.  I'll probably covert to a SM in the fall, so I can do more in ES and actually get called out on missions  :-\

But regardless thank you all!

For the purposes of NHQ, basic and tech school are not considered active duty that would require you going SM. If/when you deploy,  that is a different story.

edit for spelling
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Private Investigator

Quote from: Stonewall on June 06, 2012, 07:43:57 PM

I would like to see that too. Being a former 11B Guardsman I was always impressed with all the bling the boys got 'before' going overseas.   8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: MikeS on June 07, 2012, 06:05:47 AM
If all goes well for my flight physical this weekend I will be going 1C1X1 (ATC) in the 241st ATC Squadron in Missouri.  At the same time going to college at University of Central Missouri, doing their professional pilot program.  Should be a good time I think!

My oldest daughter is ATC for the Navy.

Congratulations. 

coudano

Quote from: MikeS on June 07, 2012, 06:05:47 AM

Hmm, good choice.  Depending on your arrangement, you may be sitting in the tower at Rosecranz "full time" for several months after tech school (getting your initial qualification) (it's called seasoning training).  Not actually sure exactly how they handle that especially for enlisted controllers, but it's a question you may want to ask up front.  That all still counts (however much it is) as part of your "initial active duty training", it will all be one set of continuous orders including BMT and Tech, so you could actually remain a cadet the whole time.

Good ole Keesler AFB (Biloxi MS) for your tech school.  Good times.