Homeland Security Officer

Started by tcraftdan, February 14, 2012, 08:28:16 AM

tcraftdan

I've been assigned Homeland Security Officer in my squadron, but with no guidance.  Are there any others assigned this position? 

spacecommand

At the squadron level, I don't think it is a very useful assignment.  There's no guide and many of the functions overlap already existing roles you could do.  I think a closer role that you might find more useful and that does have guidance, would be something like Emergency Services officer.

Eclipse

I can't imagine being able to engage meaningfully at anything below the state level with that role.

"That Others May Zoom"

Sapper168

From your friendly neighborhood Knowledgebase:     http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2015

What are the duties of a CAP Homeland Security Officer?

Homeland Security Officer is not a CAP specialty currently included in CAPR 20-1 but duties would overlap with several emergency services positions. If there is a need for this position to fit unique mission requirements, wing or region commanders may create a position and job description for a Homeland Security Officer.

See guidance below from  CAPR 20-1 Organization of Civil Air Patrol 29 MAY 2000

3. Organizational Structure. Civil Air Patrol's organizational structure at all levels follows the basic organizational concepts in this regulation. However, there may be situations where wings/units need to realign organizational elements to fit unique mission requirements. In these cases region commanders may approve deviations to improve efficiency.
a. Position descriptions at all echelons (region, wing, group, and squadron) are so similar that the same position description applies to all levels, unless otherwise indicated. Short, telegraphic sentences in the position descriptions give a broad picture of the duties of each position. The tasks listed are described in detail in other CAP directives. All phases of each functional area have been covered in each position description even though some units may not have a need for every task. Local units are authorized and encouraged to develop more detailed position descriptions to fit individual unit situations.
b. Each unit commander should develop and post an organizational chart at headquarters, depicting the name and grade of the incumbent of each position and the specific duties of each so unit personnel know their responsibilities and their chain of command. In smaller units, it may be necessary that more than one position be filled by the same member; however, someone should be responsible for each task outlined in the position description so the entire unit is aware of who is responsible for which duties.

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Eclipse

At the wing level we are treating HLS as Strategic and SAR as Tactical.

The trouble with 20-1 is that many of the duties in a given department overlap, so you have to be pretty tight with a red pen to
keep people out of each other's sandboxes.

"That Others May Zoom"

Patterson

Ours interfaces with the Base EOC and pulls duty on the FEMA region team.  I know she was volunteered by the Squadron Commander with no guidance, and she created the duties from diligent research and networking with people/ agencies outside of the CAP.  Now she is bringing so much extra work into the Squadron, other Seniors have to step up and help her out. 

Eclipse

Well, presumably the base liaison work is fine, assuming that is where you meet, as long as you are coordinating things with the State Director, but interfacing with a FEMA Region coordinator should really be done by a Wing or higher staffer (unless the wing has directed
your unit to hand-hold that relationship).

"That Others May Zoom"

Patterson

Quote from: Eclipse on February 15, 2012, 05:03:27 AM
.... but interfacing with a FEMA Region coordinator should really be done by a Wing or higher staffer (unless the wing has directed your unit to hand-hold that relationship).

Why?  Does serving on Wing or Region mean a person is more capable? 

Eclipse

Quote from: Patterson on February 16, 2012, 09:06:22 PM
.... but interfacing with a FEMA Region coordinator should really be done by a Wing or higher staffer (unless the wing has directed your unit to hand-hold that relationship).

No.  It prescribe the scope of your Area of Responsibility.

No one representing CAP should ever make assertions of resource commitments outside their personal scope of authority.
A unit rep can only speak to the resources they have in that unit, same with a Group rep, etc.  This is something lost on many of our members
who feel free to speak to whom ever they wish, write checks for other people, and then leave for someone else to clean up the mess.

Proximity or convenient access to a resource or contact does not change that equation.  In other words, just because a unit might happen to
meet at a state government facility and get asked questions about state-level responses, in most cases the conversation should be referred
to the appropriate state-level staff officer.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Exactly. Because a Squadron once asked State EMA for $50K. State EMA was like we give CAP $100K annually (the Wing) already. Well what does CAP want? Wing HQ $50K and Petticoat Junction Squadron $50K?  :o

Morale of the story: Run your "great" ideal thru Wing HQ first   :clap:

Flying Pig

Quote from: Patterson on February 16, 2012, 09:06:22 PM

Like what was pointed out above.  Federal Agencies work with individual units with the authorization of the Commander of the wing.  Where I work, I am in an Air Unit for the Sheriffs Office.  The unit belongs to the Sheriff.  I cant go out and volunteer the services of the Sheriff without the Sheriff's approval.  I can bring it up to her, but she makes the decision.  CAP Squadron Commanders are appointed ultimately by the Wing Commander.  All Squadrons ultimately fall under the command of the Wing Commander.  And above him, Im sure the CAWG commander has to keep the Region Commander in the loop on issues, and the Region Commander on up to the National.  Granted, that information is filtered, and I would imagine not much in the way of daily wing business makes it to the National CC, but I would bet a legit Homeland Security Mission would make its way to the National CC is some form or fashion. 
The mere fact that it is usually squadron members and not wing staff performing the missions would lead me to believe that there are no issues with the "capable" reasoning.