Main Menu

Do I?

Started by Extremepredjudice, August 20, 2011, 10:06:05 PM

Extremepredjudice

I am working on my communications specialty rating... No one in my squadron really knows what to do... :(

Should I move up the chain to the group cadet Programs?
Or wait til encampment(the wing comms officer will be there)

Can't hurt to work on it now, I can always fall back on the 2nd option.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

coudano

All you need to do is knowledge and tasks through page 3 of the pamphlet here
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P214_3253F4F05A7E9.pdf

The online technician level communications test it references is here:
https://tests.cap.af.mil/ops/tests/default.cfm?grp=dok

Do you have any specific question about any of those specific items in that pamphlet (?)

Once everything in the pamphlet is done, the squadron commander can award you the rating in e-services.

Group cadet program officer probably can't help you, much beyond what i've provided above, unless that person is also the group comm officer.  I would not seek higher echelon input unless/until your squadron commander agrees that your questions cannot be resolved at the unit, it would generally be more appropriate for the squadron commander to seek the outside help than for you to do it.
or a comm buff themselves.

a2capt

There's always.. dare I say it, communications channels. Who's next in your chain? Group, or Group-less wing, then .. Wing. Contact that person. They might answer a question with a question, though. "Why is there no Comm Officer at your unit.. (or that knows answer to XX) .. but thats also part of their role to inform, train, and ... communicate. ;-)

There's nothing otherwise to answer here, because you didn't state what the issue you don't know about to do anything with is.

Extremepredjudice

Our comms officer is the comms officer cause he was unlucky enough to be appointed it.

My questions are mostly:
Where is a mission where I can get credit for doing stuff?
Who can sign off? The ex-squadron commander, when he was commanding, said something about needing to be rated in missions.
What types of radios count? My squadron went on bivouac a while ago, and people with a(or b)cuts got issued Frs radios  (which is all we have..) and did some stuff with those. Regardless we didn't have a mission number, so can that count?

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Sapper168

Extremepredjudice- are you a cadet or a senior member?
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Extremepredjudice

Cadink.
C/Sra, in a month SSgt.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Extremepredjudice

*impatient silence*
;)

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on August 20, 2011, 11:05:00 PM
Where is a mission where I can get credit for doing stuff?
only someone from your wing or area can answer that.

Who can sign off? The ex-squadron commander, when he was commanding, said something about needing to be rated in missions.
An qualified SET will need to sign off SQTRs for rating like MRO.  Your Squadon CC will be the person to certify your Tech rating in Comms,
but read the pamphlet as there may be some requirement a DC or commo be involved.

What types of radios count? My squadron went on bivouac a while ago, and people with a(or b)cuts got issued Frs radios  (which is all we have..) and did some stuff with those. Regardless we didn't have a mission number, so can that count?
Only compliant radios can be used on missions, but FRS can be used for training, and things like encampments and air shows.  The other regs regarding supervision by a qualified operator, etc., still apply.

You do not need a mission number to train, nor for SQTR taskings, but will need one for the final sign-offs.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

You need to serve in the capacity of the rating you are training for in two mission sorties. For comm, those are typically four hour stints.

Training itself does not have to be done on a mission number, and in fact it's a lot better for that mission to actually mean something to you, and have your skills sink in and actually be able to participate in the mission if you have gone over the materials with someone else.

Since you are pretty much implying that your communications officer is apathetic, you need to look outside of your unit. Look at the wing, group, or other unit calendars. See a sarex coming? Find out how to sign up to participate. Can't get an SQTR going at your home unit? Reach out to these folks too, see if they can set you up.

At some point the unit commanders will need to speak, to acknowledge participation for that initial training outside of your echelon. But without explicit details it's really not easy to answer explicitly to where it's applicable to your scenario.

Radios, ISRs are fine, for training. Not ideal, but the procedures are portable, so the radio type won't matter as much, or at all.

As for who can sign off? Again, details.. the answer by the national regs is "someone who has the specialty already" and has completed a few other things pertaining to teaching and evaluating for CAP, specifically, SET or TTT, of which most have done it.  Generally who is sitting with you at the radio, is going to be who's signing your accomplishments.  Some wings, regions or even units, have put additional things in place, so.. gotta start with details.

See the comm officer next in line, or in a parallel unit that is active for details that are more helpful, or post here something and you might even get an exact point of contact right here. Depending on how much detail you provide.

Extremepredjudice

The comms officer isn't really apathetic, just doesn't know....

My squadron is near Jacksonville, Fl. Group 2
There isn't really a nearby unit...

I think only our Squadron Commander has a specialty rating... and he just got it (AE, I think)

So in essence I need to find someone with a SET in comms to get anything, correct?

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

HGjunkie

IIRC, the next major SAREVAL for FLWG is coming up in November. I pulled this off the group 2 website:
QuotePosted: 8-Aug-11
Wing SAREVAL
5-Nov-11, Marco Island Location ...
Florida Wing HQ DCS- Operations

The Florida Wing SAREVAL will take place at Marco Island on Novemeber 5, 2011. Practice SAREVAL will be Sept. 3 with backup date of Sept. 10.

Positions are open for IC Deputy, Operations Section Chief , Operations Section Chief Deputy, Logistic Section Chief Deputy, Finance Section Chief , Finance Section Chief Deputy, Communications Unit Leader , MROs, (2) Airbranch Directors , (2) Ground Branch Directors, Aircrews and Ground Teams. Florida Wing G1000 aircraft will be utilized.

Please respond to Captain Dan Woods Fl Wing, via unit chain of command if interested at (dwoods@flwg.us)

I say contact Captain Woods with that e-mail and see if there's an opportunity to work on the Comms Track there.

And don't bother waiting for Encampment, you will not have enough time to do anything outside of the curriculum.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

a2capt

Yup. 'Cause you'll need that COMM ES rating to get that specialty rating going. The entry of that will fall on your CC, and may be designated to the deputy or professional development officer. So someone who's an MRO or CUL, or greater, in another unit, who has completed the Skills Evaluator Trainee exam, (SET), can oversee your ES rating training, and will undoubtedly know when training opportunities are coming up.

Perhaps even an exercise in GAWG south of ATL on a weekend, barring intra-wing complications.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: a2capt on August 21, 2011, 08:18:14 PM
You need to serve in the capacity of the rating you are training for in two mission sorties. For comm, those are typically four hour stints.
Surely for "bling collectors" they will be trying to do the very least amount of time to get qualified.   IF someone is active in comms all the time (besides training missions), than perhaps 4 hours each mission may be enough time.  HOWEVER, for the average CAP member definitely the "full mission day" for the first time.  The 2nd time, hopefully the same evaluator, see what they do without any intervention (unless a safety issue).   Remember that MRO's may be teamed up with just an IC on small actual missions and we need to be sure that it just isn't a bling collector that stepped into the radio shack.   This applies to cadets as well as senior members.
RM     

Extremepredjudice

lol according to Google maps it is 342 miles(roughly) from where I live... I doubt I'd make it out there....
I guess I can contact him, through the chain of command, see if there is someone I can get a  ride from.

There is a communications conference 400 miles away... D,=

I guess I need to work up the chain...

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Woodsy

Extremepredjudice...  What squadron are you in, Jax Composite or Cecil Cadet???

Jax composite has a SAREX every month.  Also has one of the top Commo's in the wing.

I'm the Jax composite and Group 2 PAO. Contact me via PM if you have any specific questions or need contacts. 

Also the SAREVAL is invitation only and only the most experienced and senior personnel will be invited, no trainees. 

a2capt

See what I mean? A little specifics on location and people practically come right to you .. here.. :)

Extremepredjudice

=D

ONE last question:
How do I get my ACUT added on SQTR?

As you can see below it, I do have the ACUT...

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

SarDragon

Go to the entry page, and enter it, then save the page. Then your commander can approve that section.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Ok, one more question...

How do I get it to say "MRO*" on the 101 card?

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

ßτε

Finish your fam/prep tasks and have the commander approve the fam/prep.

Extremepredjudice

Which ones are those?  :-[

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

SarDragon

The next ones down the SQTR sheet, under the pre-req stuff.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Is100 and IS700?
or all of the tasks?

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

ßτε

After further investigation, I have discovered there is no fam/prep for MRO. I am not sure why your *MRO does not show on your 101 card.

ol'fido

Please clarify:

You are a cadet. c/SrAmn to be exact? Do you want to...

a) Get an ES rating as an MRO?

b) Do the requirements for the Technician level in Comms in order to qualify as a cadet for the Basic Comm Badge?

c) Enroll in the Comms Specialty Track (which I will say right now that you can't do as a cadet)?

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Extremepredjudice

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Camas

Quote from: ß τ ε on August 31, 2011, 12:34:13 PM
After further investigation, I have discovered there is no fam/prep for MRO. I am not sure why your *MRO does not show on your 101 card.
Actually there is - either BCUT or ACUT counts as a prerequisite and needs to be approved by the commander. I believe the unit ops or ES officer can also approve it.
Quote from: ß τ ε on August 31, 2011, 04:49:44 AM
Correct

ol'fido

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on August 31, 2011, 03:35:43 PM
B..

Then you will have to do the requirements for the technician rating with the exception of enrolling in Level 1 and you will have to be at least an MRO(T)(might as well get MRO while your at it) in order to fulfill the mission participation requirement. All of this will have to be documented by your squadron commander and/or unit comm officer and most likely approved by your wing director of communications.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

ßτε

Quote from: Camas on August 31, 2011, 05:56:58 PM
Quote from: ß τ ε on August 31, 2011, 12:34:13 PM
Actually there is - either BCUT or ACUT counts as a prerequisite and needs to be approved by the commander. I believe the unit ops or ES officer can also approve it.
Quote from: ß τ ε on August 31, 2011, 04:49:44 AM
Correct
Prerequisites are not the same as fam/prep. When I said that I have discovered there is no fam/prep for MRO, I was not at all saying there is not a prerequisite.

SarDragon

He has met the Prereqs.

From the SQTR:

Familiarization and Preparatory Training
No Additional Training Is Required

I'm not sure why the training status isn't showing up.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

Commander approval missing?

Extremepredjudice

Nope.. I got his aproval. Hmm...

Maybe I need to complete those fema courses first?
3 hours each... And I gotta study for tests. :/

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

SarDragon

They are online, and you take the test at the end. I did them in about two hours each. Gonna need them eventiually, so can't hurt to do them now.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

I just need to set aside 4 hours... -.-

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

SarDragon

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on August 31, 2011, 11:24:26 PM

Stay off of here and Facebook for a couple of days. That ought to buy yourself at least half of that time.  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: SarDragon on September 01, 2011, 06:47:49 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on August 31, 2011, 11:24:26 PM

Stay off of here and Facebook for a couple of days. That ought to buy yourself at least half of that time.  8)
I don't have facebook...Precisely because it takes to much time.

I spend most of my time at college or studying... :p

I can probably fit it in sunday... :)
or monday since my teacher has dropped off the face od the earth for that class

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Extremepredjudice

Ok, I just found a piece of paper that has me signed off on some stuff...

Thing is, it was signed on the 24th of april. Can I still use it?
The squadron commander (at the time) signed off on it. He didn't have any comms specialty other than an ACUT.

So is he qualified?

It is on the MRO sheet from SQTRS and everything.

And yes I did do the tasks, I ran comms with a couple other cadets for our squadron bivouac.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

lordmonar

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 13, 2011, 05:35:34 AM
Ok, I just found a piece of paper that has me signed off on some stuff...

Thing is, it was signed on the 24th of april. Can I still use it?
The squadron commander (at the time) signed off on it. He didn't have any comms specialty other than an ACUT.

So is he qualified?
Depends on what exactly he "signed off" on.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Extremepredjudice

L-0001 basic comms procedures for ES ops
L-0002 perform radio operating procedures
L-0008 send a position report
L-00010 comms safety procedures

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

lordmonar

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 13, 2011, 05:40:50 AM
L-0001 basic comms procedures for ES ops
L-0002 perform radio operating procedures
L-0008 send a position report
L-00010 comms safety procedures
If you commander is signed off on those tasks and is SETS qualified....then he can sign them off for you.

The only thing that requires a wing comm guy to sign off are BCUT and ACUT.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Extremepredjudice

He doesn't have SET... So that means no-go? :(

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Woodsy

Come hang with the big boys on the 24th.  There's only so much you can learn in a cadet squadron that doesn't do any ES.  We'd be happy to help you get trained up. 

Extremepredjudice

-.- It still isn't on my 101 card.

Everything is in there.... Am I missing something?

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 30, 2011, 05:08:29 PM

What is it exactly?

arajca

Yes. Commander approval for Prerequisites is missing. The orange flag means something needs to be done,

vento

In eServices, under Emergency Services, Single Person (the one below your 101 card), does it say Training or anything next to your MRO rating? You can hover your mouse over the word ACTIVE or TRAINING or whatever and find out the status of it.

Also, make sure that you have only one entry as MRO. In the past I've seen two entries with one being invalid or previously unapproved. If that is the case, delete the wrong entry (or have your ES officer do it) and it should fix the problem.

vento

Quote from: arajca on September 30, 2011, 05:21:36 PM

Yes. Commander approval for Prerequisites is missing. The orange flag means something needs to be done,

The yellow flag shown here is next to the line that says: "Mission Radio Operator - Advanced Training - No. of Required Tasks: 13"

I believe he has the Commander approval for Prerequisites (Green check mark).

starshippe

. . we are just up the road from u at st simons island and have an active training program. u r welcome to come to any of our sarex's. i can't imagine having any problem with a sign off from a different wing, but we did use to cross train with fernandina beach a lot, until the admins got to arguing about funding. i would check on that if i were u.

. . anyway let me know on here or by email if u want a copy of our sarex schedule. i will check and insure that there will not be a problem with reimbursement for gas. i understand that being in a corner of the state does limit your training opportunities.

bill

ßτε

Try re-entering the date for Commander Approval for prerequisites. It will then need to be approved again, but I think that will work.

Extremepredjudice

QuoteIn eServices, under Emergency Services, Single Person (the one below your 101 card), does it say Training or anything next to your MRO rating? You can hover your mouse over the word ACTIVE or TRAINING or whatever and find out the status of it.

Also, make sure that you have only one entry as MRO. In the past I've seen two entries with one being invalid or previously unapproved. If that is the case, delete the wrong entry (or have your ES officer do it) and it should fix the problem.
When I clicked on single person, some warning came up...
And only one entry, as far as I can tell. There is an entry for a Bcut, and an Acut.... That is the closest.
QuoteWhat is it exactly?
The top part is my 101 card quals, and the rest is the MRO sheet in eservices.

That image wasn't so good, here is another one.

Something I just noticed, the IS100 and IS700 somehow have been approved by me? All I did was enter them... I guess they don't need CC approval?

Thanks Starshippe, I sent you a PM.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Extremepredjudice

*silence* :'(
Have I stumped you guys?

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

vento

At this point, I endorse BTE's suggestion. Tick the checkbox and re-enter the date for Commander's approval and hit Submit one more time.

Extremepredjudice

Thanks BTE, that worked!!!
http://puu.sh/6wBG

Oh, and, the UCC (http://flcadet.com/UCC.aspx) will count for some tasks!! YAYZZZ!  ;D ;D 8) :o

Sorry, had a moment.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

starshippe

i checked with wing, we can reimburse for ur auto gas.

unfortunately, i don't think we have anything scheduled until jan. will stay in touch.

bill