Main Menu

Joining

Started by ryecarrac, May 24, 2010, 07:00:40 PM

BradM

What is the document name has based upon your schooling and profession what rank you are allowed to have upon first joining CAP? Thanks!
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Майор Хаткевич

a2capt

That lame @$$ CMS they use just sucks. .. and they have way too dang many web sites. Click on the Join and you get bounced between three before you can do anything.

At least they have the document name incorporated into the whack job title now. :) It didn't used to be that way..

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: a2capt on August 24, 2010, 05:13:33 PM
That lame @$$ CMS they use just sucks. .. and they have way too dang many web sites. Click on the Join and you get bounced between three before you can do anything.

At least they have the document name incorporated into the whack job title now. :) It didn't used to be that way..

Yea, but this is still....lame.

BradM

Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

SarDragon

The file for viewing has the whacked file name. The file inside the ZIP file for download has the doc name. Strange, but that's how they are doing it.

When they first started putting regs online, their file naming was inconsistent at best. I suggested that they pick one style and stay with it, offered choices, based on ones they had already used, and made a specific suggestion that would, IMHO, offer best ease of use. That system (e.g. M039_001.pdf) is still being used today.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

They pass the blame buck and call it a CMS problem.

I'd say it's a weakness.. and for things I've come across, CAP NHQ must be the ones to fall sucker to getting this foisted on them, 'cause I've never run into whacked and jacked up file names like this.

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

BradM

Quote from: Al Sayre on August 24, 2010, 08:40:41 PM
Quote from: BradM on August 24, 2010, 05:33:26 PM
Thank you!

You're welcome.  See what you started ;D

I just wanted to see after I complete Level I if I could skip 2nd Lt and be either a 1st Lt or a Captain. I do accounting for a retirement home in Los Angeles since 1997. Before that from 1993 to 1997 I worked at a tax office. Before that I was an office manager and accountant for a medical equipment company. Too bad I didnt finish my B.A. but I do have an A.A. So it looks like as a Finance Officer I can start as a 1st Lt. :) Thats what I wanted to know. Now I kick myself for not finishing my 4 yr degree. I could have been a Capt right off the bat!! :)
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

RVT

Quote from: BradM on August 24, 2010, 11:15:41 PMI just wanted to see after I complete Level I if I could skip 2nd Lt and be either a 1st Lt or a Captain. I do accounting for a retirement home in Los Angeles since 1997. Before that from 1993 to 1997 I worked at a tax office. Before that I was an office manager and accountant for a medical equipment company. Too bad I didnt finish my B.A. but I do have an A.A. So it looks like as a Finance Officer I can start as a 1st Lt. :) Thats what I wanted to know. Now I kick myself for not finishing my 4 yr degree. I could have been a Capt right off the bat!! :)

f. Finance Officers. Upon successful completion of Level I, the unit commander may initiate a CAPF 2 on qualified finance officers, recommending appointment to an appropriate grade, as outlined below.
(1) First Lieutenant. A financial professional with an associate's degree in accounting and 2 years verified work experience in the accounting profession or a high school diploma and 5 years of verified work experience in the accounting profession.
(2) Captain. A financial professional with a bachelor's degree in accounting and 2 years verified work experience in the accounting profession or a master's degree in accounting, certified public accountant (CPA) or certified management accountant (CMA).
(3) Major. A financial professional with a master's degree in accounting, certified public accountant (CPA) or certified management accountant (CMA) that has served 1 year time-in-grade as a captain may be appointed to the grade of major.

EMT-83

I would be very careful how you express your desire for instant promotion to your squadron commander. "Here's my application, where's my promotion" isn't likely to be very well received.

Understand that promotions aren't automatic and are at the discretion of the commander.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: EMT-83 on August 25, 2010, 01:55:55 AM
I would be very careful how you express your desire for instant promotion to your squadron commander. "Here's my application, where's my promotion" isn't likely to be very well received.

Understand that promotions aren't automatic and are at the discretion of the commander.

A lot of folks will also usually expect you to perform in the capability offered.

Camas

Quote from: BradM on August 24, 2010, 11:15:41 PM
I just wanted to see after I complete Level I if I could skip 2nd Lt and be either a 1st Lt or a Captain.
Quote from: EMT-83 on August 25, 2010, 01:55:55 AM
I would be very careful how you express your desire for instant promotion to your squadron commander. "Here's my application, where's my promotion" isn't likely to be very well received. Understand that promotions aren't automatic and are at the discretion of the commander.
Before we worry about skipping grades I'd be looking for a team player who can fit in and make a significant contribution to the success of your unit. Those going up for promotions to captain and higher other than duty promotions should be carefully scrutinized as to how their skills and qualifications add to the strength of their unit and not because they feel they're entitled to a promotion. Do you truly have something noteworthy to contribute? This is a question that both your commander and your group or wing promotion board should be asking. For the record I am a member of my wing awards and promotions committee.

BradM

All of your comments are very good advice! I didnt even know about this until last Monday night when another new member applicant who is in the army reserve (I think) as a legal officer asked me what rank I was going to start with. I just thought it would be a 2nd Lt. after being a Senior member for 6 months and he told me he was going to be a Captain because he will be the Legal Officer and he knew my main specialty track would be a Finance Officer. Also, the Squadron I am joining doesnt have a Finance Officer right now. I will ask this gentleman how he broached the subject with the Sqdrn Commander before I bring it up myself.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Майор Хаткевич

A thing to remember, is that we're not the military, so the grade really doesn't matter in the long run.

Most folks come in at SMWOG, and hit 2d Lt in 6 months.

Some like me get a bump based on cadet achievement, in my case to 1st Lt (upon turning 21), but it could range from 2d Lt to Capt.

There's quite a few Majors walking around who haven't even hit 30.

In CAP I've noticed the grade will mean little to others, at least initially. If I'm active when turning 21 and becoming a 1st Lt, I'll still be considered "a kid" by most of the other officers, even those at the same grade. What changes people's opinion will be my actions and maturity, not the cloth on my shoulders.

BradM

I noticed that the Nation Headquarters processed my dues check so I logged on to eServices and I was able to get my username, CAPID, and log in :)
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: BradM on August 25, 2010, 07:17:19 PM
I noticed that the Nation Headquarters processed my dues check so I logged on to eServices and I was able to get my username, CAPID, and log in :)

In that case, congratulations, my fellow Senior Member Without Grade (SMWOG)!

SarDragon

All of you new folks are SMs, not SMWOG. NOWHERE in any CAP reg is that abbreviation used. NOWHERE. The spelled out text is used a couple of times to specify the group of adult members who haven't been promoted, since the term Senior Member applied to all adult members, but that's it. Your official designation is SM.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

That is true, I should have specified.

SMWOG is just a fast way to identify that you are a SM in CAP, but hold no Grade.

Don't use it to sign into the meetings or anything, simply write SM.