Milestone Awards Coins from Vanguard

Started by Stonewall, August 08, 2019, 02:14:46 AM

Stonewall

I was making an order from Vanguard and happened to click on the NEW ITEMS icon and was surprised to see they created Milestone Award coins for Wright Bro's, Mitchell, Earhart, Eaker, but no Spaatz.

Wright Brothers

Mitchell

Earhart

Eaker

They're only $5 each, and then you can personalize them for $5. I got one for my son and put his Wright Brothers number on it, and did the same for a Mitchell coin with my number.

Note: they have a few other items in the NEW ITEMS area like some Army aircrew badges and Air Assault badge for ABUs.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Spaatz coins, I believe, have to come from the Spaatz Association.

http://www.spaatz.org/spaatz-merchandise/

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

We ordered a couple Mitchell coins a few weeks ago. They're actually very nice quality/appearance.

Our unit decided to continue this move and order coins for the milestones.

Stonewall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 08, 2019, 05:14:16 PM
We ordered a couple Mitchell coins a few weeks ago. They're actually very nice quality/appearance.

We discussed it this week, but Werner sure about Wright Brothers, that may break the bank.
Serving since 1987.

MSG Mac

Just bought two Mitchell's, they actually cost $6
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Stonewall on August 08, 2019, 09:13:00 PM

We discussed it this week, but Werner sure about Wright Brothers, that may break the bank.

We elected not to get a Wright Brothers coin at this time, for both budget purposes and in signifying that the Mitchell is really the "milestone of milestones" for most cadets since that's the whole "I made it this far...now I'm an officer...I can be an E-3" shtuffs.

Nearly every cadet should be earning their Wright Brothers in their first year (yeah, yeah, we know not all do...but that should be a goal). But it's kind of the "must" achievement.

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 12, 2019, 01:54:45 PM

We elected not to get a Wright Brothers coin at this time, for both budget purposes and in signifying that the Mitchell is really the "milestone of milestones" for most cadets since that's the whole "I made it this far...now I'm an officer...I can be an E-3" shtuffs.

Nearly every cadet should be earning their Wright Brothers in their first year (yeah, yeah, we know not all do...but that should be a goal). But it's kind of the "must" achievement.

A year to get their Wright Brothers might work for some cadets but not all of them.
There is no "schedule" in the cadet program. The eight weeks period between promotions is the minimum, not a requirement.
For most cadets three or four promotions a year is a reasonable promotion rate. Because just because they passed two computer based tests, sat through CD and have a current PFT on file doesn't mean they're ready. There's maturity levels too.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 12, 2019, 01:54:45 PM

I dunno - I agree sorta, but WB is a pretty big deal / hurdle for some cadets, especially with it now being the first time they do a closed book
test and have to make an objective PT number.   And NHQ clearly thinks it's a retention factor since it's included in QCUA.

Prob should be a fair deal made of it, especially if you want them to get to Mitchell.

Sadly, Mitchell is the end goal for a lot of cadets for the E3 ring, especially the older ones.  It opens the gate for a lot of the
more advanced parts of CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

If that's the case, to be consistent, maybe we should have NHQ mail out hand-signed certificates like with the other milestone awards.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 12, 2019, 09:04:23 PM
If that's the case, to be consistent, maybe we should have NHQ mail out hand-signed certificates like with the other milestone awards.

I don't know about that, but WB is a Milestone, and one NHQ thinks is important.

One unit I CC'ed ages ago we had unit coins, and those were awarded when a senior made 1st Lt and a cadet WB as
we considered that to the point where one was "invested".

"That Others May Zoom"