NYPD Auxiliary Officer Arrested for Impersonating a Police Officer

Started by Майор Хаткевич, September 18, 2013, 08:29:40 PM

Luis R. Ramos

Isn't that like issuing a handgun, but keeping the bullets?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

MSG Mac

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2013, 04:12:08 PM
We've got a suburb here that has more sworn part-time officers then full timers.  One of my friends did it for a few years.
Crowd control, traffic duty, the occasional night patrol as man 2 in car, etc.

They are armed and have full authority as LEOs, but are pretty much told that if they ever draw their weapon they are done.

Deputy Barney Fife reporting for duty,
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Flying Pig

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2013, 04:12:08 PM
We've got a suburb here that has more sworn part-time officers then full timers.  One of my friends did it for a few years.
Crowd control, traffic duty, the occasional night patrol as man 2 in car, etc.

They are armed and have full authority as LEOs, but are pretty much told that if they ever draw their weapon they are done.

Those are reserves and/or part time officer.  NYPD Aux are niether.  I really cant imagine that if a Reserve pulls their gun they are let go if its justified.   What a joke of an organization if its true.

Eclipse

^ Things might be different there now, but at least during that time, this was basically the impression that the part-time officers left.
The city itself tended to have somewhat of a "reputation".

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

The town I live in has a sworn/armed aux, as well as the county to the north. Events, disasters, patrol with a full-timer, etc are all norm,

Thinking about joining up at the next firearms class (the same 40-hour class full time guys take). Events pay hourly, so not a bad gig.

a2capt

SARDOC

This is from a document titled "Auxiliary Police Program Overview 2008" on the City of New York's website.

QuoteAuxiliary Police Officers are neither Police Officers nor Peace Officers (except
during an emergency under 2.20 Criminal Procedure Law.) They do not carry firearms
and no power of arrest beyond that of a private citizen. Equipped with a SABER radio
and a baton, they are trained to "observe and report" as they perform uniform patrol
in their neighborhood as a crime deterrent. 

Which is funny because the 2.20 Criminal Procedure Law quoted in the text, doesn't outline any special powers during emergencies.  It's the part of the code that delineates the Powers authorized under the state code for Peace Officers.

It's seems to contradict itself by saying that they are not peace officers but during an "emergency" they have the powers of a Peace Officer.  Nothing defines in this context what an "emergency" is.

Flying Pig

Believe it or not, the powers of arrest given to a private citizen are not that much different than the powers of arrest given to an officer.  What it reads like to me is that they are just describing the powers of a citizens arrest. 

Private Investigator

Every state is different. Having worked full time on both coasts, it is like night and day. NYPD has 30,000 cops. Mayberry has 2 1/2 guys.

I am sure Forrest has something quotable to say about this.   ::)

Flying Pig

Quote from: Private Investigator on September 21, 2013, 08:23:58 PM
Every state is different. Having worked full time on both coasts, it is like night and day. NYPD has 30,000 cops. Mayberry has 2 1/2 guys.

I am sure Forrest has something quotable to say about this.   ::)

Boy....... Im learning that on a daily basis!!! 

Luis R. Ramos

Which one?

Stoopid is as stoopid does...?

Life is like a box of chocolates, etc...?

Or by her screen mom, "You have to do the best with what God gave you?"

I think all apply...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

TheJob

Quote from: SARDOC on September 18, 2013, 09:53:23 PM
There is a new culture in that Department.  It used to be that a New York City Police Officer would have a Duplicate of their Shield, (Not Badge) known as a "Dupe" made so that they could carry it off duty without the fear of losing their issued shield which is specially engraved on the back side to indicate it's authenticity.

Actual Off Duty NYPD officers who have encounters with on duty NYPD officer who are caught carrying a Dupe are being arrested for impersonating a Law Enforcement Officer. 

The NYPD auxiliary members are certified in New York as unarmed Part-time Peace Officers and are able to effect an arrest if necessary.  This kid abused that authority...but if he displayed his auxiliary badge he didn't impersonate an officer because he actually is one.  His conduct on the other hand is worthy of him being dismissed from the agency and reported to internal affairs.

Where do you pull this garbage from? Who would an active duty NYPD MOS ( POLICE OFFICER) be impersonating, himself? :o A [farg]ing POLICE OFFICER WITH STATE WIDE ARREST POWERS ON/OFF DUTY CANNOT BE ARRESTED FOR IMPERSONATING A [stupid] POLICE OFFICER. Now for dupes. Not illegal. There is even a federal law allowing for civilians to have them to collect. Its only against the patrol guide i.e. dept policy to carry them. Words cannot describe how incompetent that statement is "Actual Off Duty NYPD officers who have encounters with on duty NYPD officer who are caught carrying a Dupe are being arrested for impersonating a Law Enforcement Officer."  A POLICE OFFICER getting arrested for impersonating a police officer because he has a dupe shield, which is not illegal to carry because he is a POLICE OFFICER? Auxiliary "cops" are not peace officers and have no more authority than joe citizen. They get unarmed peace officer status when/if the mayor activates them in a crisis situation (they weren't activated for sandy so they'll never be activated). They cannot go flashing there "shield" around because people start thinking they're police officers i.e. impersonation. Sorry, I needed to make an account just for this.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: TheJob on December 10, 2013, 03:53:31 AM
Where do you pull this garbage from? Who would an active duty NYPD MOS ( POLICE OFFICER) be impersonating, himself? :o A [farg]ing POLICE OFFICER WITH STATE WIDE ARREST POWERS ON/OFF DUTY CANNOT BE ARRESTED FOR IMPERSONATING A [stupid] POLICE OFFICER.

They can be arrested quite easily.  Now, getting convicted, on the other hand, is a different story.  But I can quite easily see an over-zealous NYPD cop thinking that another cop, holding a dupe shield, is a poser and jack him up.

True story from my LEO days: I once came very, very close to arresting a NYPD cop for putting an alleged pot-smoker into custody.  In Pennsylvania.  So, yeah.

Sorry, I needed to make an account just for this.

Flying Pig

Panache. I think the issue is NYPD officers arresting each other in their own jurisdiction for having a duplicate badger.  Can't see that happening.  If an NYPD officer was in PA trying to arrest someone, then I could see that being an issue.

a2capt

TheJob

Quote from: Panache on December 10, 2013, 07:06:08 AM
Where do you pull this garbage from? Who would an active duty NYPD MOS ( POLICE OFFICER) be impersonating, himself? :o A [farg]ing POLICE OFFICER WITH STATE WIDE ARREST POWERS ON/OFF DUTY CANNOT BE ARRESTED FOR IMPERSONATING A [stupid] POLICE OFFICER.

They can be arrested quite easily.  Now, getting convicted, on the other hand, is a different story.  But I can quite easily see an over-zealous NYPD cop thinking that another cop, holding a dupe shield, is a poser and jack him up.

True story from my LEO days: I once came very, very close to arresting a NYPD cop for putting an alleged pot-smoker into custody.  In Pennsylvania.  So, yeah.

Sorry, I needed to make an account just for this.

A shield isn't what you pull to get courtesy when you get pulled over or to identify yourself in a non emergency situation. You use your id card. You can't tell the difference between a dupe and a issued shield. Its only illegal for a civilian to carry a dupe/ issued shield not a police officer or peace officer. And whats with this other garbage about nypd UMOS being collared in there GAOE? The NYPD happens to be the most bonded brotherhood in law enforcement. The job has traditions no other dept has. Even if for some reason an MOS isn't carrying his id/shield its quite easy to tell a poser from a real guy. Certain key words will pop out. Ask the guy whats his command, Tax ID, shield number, date of hire. If he cant answer all three of those hes getting the silver bracelets. I'm sure if there are any MOS here they can back me up on this one.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheJob on December 10, 2013, 10:00:34 PM
A shield isn't what you pull to get courtesy when you get pulled over or to identify yourself in a non emergency situation. You use your id card. You can't tell the difference between a dupe and a issued shield. Its only illegal for a civilian to carry a dupe/ issued shield not a police officer or peace officer. And whats with this other garbage about nypd UMOS being collared in there GAOE? The NYPD happens to be the most bonded brotherhood in law enforcement. The job has traditions no other dept has. Even if for some reason an MOS isn't carrying his id/shield its quite easy to tell a poser from a real guy. Certain key words will pop out. Ask the guy whats his command, Tax ID, shield number, date of hire. If he cant answer all three of those hes getting the silver bracelets. I'm sure if there are any MOS here they can back me up on this one.

Relevance?  The only thing this has to do with CAP is that both situations contain the word "auxiliary", and the OP thought it was humorous that
a couple of goofballs got in trouble buying a video game.

Your spirited efforts to "educate" will likely only serve to amuse.

"That Others May Zoom"

TexasCadet

Quote from: TheJob on December 10, 2013, 10:00:34 PM
[cut]
Ask the guy whats his command, Tax ID, shield number, date of hire. If he cant answer all three of those hes getting the silver bracelets. I'm sure if there are any MOS here they can back me up on this one.
[/cut]

Four questions. Also, I doubt you'll get any support.

Flying Pig

TheJob,

Are you a member of CAP?   This thread died out about 3 months ago. There are several active and retired cops on this forum.  Logging on to school us up on a scanario that is a byproduct of the actual discussion is probably just a waste of time.